Heating 75 gallon

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyz21

First time beardie owner!
I have a 75 gallon tank for my bearded dragon.
005-2_zps700c465c.jpg

I currently have the a 75 watt bulb and the thermostat is reading 75 degree on the basking side.
Any suggestions?
Also since I moved him he hasn't ate anything.
It wasn't a new tank I cleaned it but there was still a bit of sand left and he's got some in his eye. Will it just come off on its own? It didn't come out in the bath.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Sometimes with the larger tanks a second basking lamp will need to be added for up the heat. Another good option would be a hear emitter but be very careful until you get it set correct. It would be easy to overheat in a glass tank and would cause serious issues or death. As for the sand you think may still be in the eye. I would suggest trying to flush it will just a saline solution. Or course if it does not work.....the vet you go. :D hope this helps :mrgreen:

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Also don't leave the red light on at night, it disrupts their sleep, like above get a ceramic heat emitter. You could also get a branch or other decoration to get them closer to the bulb. I don't see a uvb light?

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Good catch Lindsey! I don't see it either. Is it just not showing here? In case you don't have one I will just tell you
they need one to survive. Most people recommend the reptisun 10.0 tubular or some Arcadia type. Just check into the forums and you will find all kind of helpful information. :D

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Yes you will need the tube kind, not a coil, they can hurt a beardies eyes and they need to be mounted on the inside of the tank, because the screen will filter out the uvb. You can buy a housing for the lights at walmart for around $8, just throw away the bulb they come with. It's a reptisun 10.0 or arcadia 12%. Those are both ok to use with bearded dragons

lyz21

Original Poster
This is the UVB light I have now. From PetSmart.
001-3_zps63c78e8c.jpg

I don't use a light at night because I read it's okay as long as the temp doesn't drop below 65 degrees? It usually stays around that temperature.
So should I get another dome for a basking light, put them side by side, move the regular white light more to the middle and mount the uvb on the far side? How big is the reptisun 10.0 like how big of a housing for it should I get?
I have a friend that has an older beardie so I thought I would be good but a lot of the info she's given me I've found out to be false. :/

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
Reptiglo bulbs are bad for beardies eyes, you need a reptiSUN 10.0 tube, you can get a housing for it at walmart for $8 and mount it on the inside of the tank with silicone or command strips. And yes you need another basking light. You need the basking spot to be 100-105, you can get a probe thermometer to read temps. You can get a flood light or halogen light at walmart also to use as a basking light. The uvb light and temps are probably why he is not eating.

lyz21

Original Poster
Went out today I got
030-2_zps262c4271.jpg

another basking light, and a double dome to put the two basking lights in.
The pet store I went to was all out of the long reptisun's that I'm pretty sure you were talking about. like this right?
ReptiSun10.JPG

All they had that were like that were the reptiGLO's.
Would it be okay for now if I used the one I bought and put it in my dome and took the screen top off? The dome is big enough that it can balance between the back and the glass.
My setup as of right now is fairly ghetto.
I can't find a screen lid for a 75gallon and I know you can't put the lights over top of the glass so for now I have two smaller screen lids that hold the lamps and the glass lids on the front half, as I was afraid if I took them off it would be off balance and could fall in on him?
031_zpscc8929c2.jpg

lyz21

Original Poster
Alright I ordered the reptisun 10.0 online, but until it gets here.
I cannot get him to eat anything! For the past 3-4 days he's had maybe 4 crickets. I tried putting them in one at a time, all at once, in his cage.
Should I put divider in his cage? He doesn't move hardly at all. I wake up he will still be in the same spot as the night before, after 12 hours of work he's still in the same spot. Which is usually NOT under the basking side....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom