How long should my lights be on?

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

How long should my lights be on?

Postby IonBob00 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:48 pm

[TOPIC AUTO-LOCKED DUE TO INACTIVITY]

I just got a beardie a few days ago and was curious as to how long everyone leaves their lights on. My viv is in the basement so she gets almost no natural light. I usually give her her breakfast 20 minutes after the lights come on. I leave the house by 730 or 8 am, and usually don't get home till 5 or so. If I leave the lights on for 12 hours, it usually just makes the cut to give her 2 hours to digest after dinner. My main question is if I turn her lights on at 7 and off at 9 or so, will that do harm/screw with her sleeping schedule? Thanks for any help guys
IonBob00
Newbie Poster

Re: How long should my lights be on?

Postby snazzyglasses » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 pm

14 hours of "daylight" with lights and UVB on is fine! :) (Sometimes it depends on the dragon though. Our adult male does get a bit sleepy-looking at about the 13 hour mark, so he's only on a 13 hour schedule lol)

~ Mom to 1 cat and 2 beardies (Captain Brick Bordeaux, age ~6yrs- living with me; and Lady Fromage, age ~4yrs- living with my fiance. Both adopted 08/10/12)
~ "Sister" to 1 dog, 1 cat, and miscellaneous fish
snazzyglasses
Sub-Adult Poster

Re: How long should my lights be on?

Postby Erok000 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:41 pm

Im glad you said something Snazzy! Our lil guy gets up at 7a.m. and about 12hrs later he gets to looking sleepy( well over 2 hrs after dinner). I was getting worried. Now not so much, he is great in every other aspect, just gets sleepy early,lol. :D
Proud owner of 1 beardie(Pascale),2 dogs,3 cats,5 ferrets,1 fish,2 snails
Erok000
Hatchling Poster

Return to Enclosures