MASSIVE BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!! suggest you all read

Status
Not open for further replies.
so, guys. some of you may know. some of you may not know

ARCADIA ARE NOW AVAILABLE IN THE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at this site: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ . my friend has already ordered 8 of the T8's and shes in canada XD

arcadia is the prefered UVB here in the uk over any other UVB tubes. basically the tubes are 12% instead of the standard 10.0!!

i had a reptisun 10.0 for my beardie, and it was due up for replacement. so i replaced it with the new ARCADIA T5 D3+ 12% UVB one.

(T5 is the newest range, t8 is slightly older)

I couldnt take in how much it changed my dragon, he was more colourful and more active than i had every seen him!! im sugessting you all try this. its money well spent!!
much better than reptisun, and now finally you guys can access it!!!
i had to buy a new uvb starter unit along with my T5 tube, as the T5 tubes are thinner in diameter, which helps them to be more energy saving
it cost me about £75 which is kinda dear to get, but its definatley a worth while investment

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=97&mid=12&lan=en&sub=&id=4 read up on it here

53willys

Hi newbie question here...
what T5 high out put fixtures are you guys using with these bulbs??
sadly I bought a zilla UVB lamp before I found this forum....now it looks like I need to replace the whole set up?
or can I use a arcadia 12% light in my zila fixture? the fixture says max 17watts..and the HO 12% bulbs are 20+watts...

TeethandClaws

Original Poster
for the T5 arcadia, you need the t5's uvb starter unit.
so you'll have to change it all. the reason is because its very high wattage and the t5 tubes are slimmer in diameter than the old ones

i use the arcadia t5 uvb starter unit for the tube, the regular t8s can go with any starter unit i think
the 39 watt tubes are suitable for 3ft vivs/40 gal breeders ( i think thats what you call em)
the 54 watt tubes are suitable for 4ft vivs / 55 gal breeders.

YBS0502

Hatchling Member
i have ordered a HO ballast for the t5 will replace regular output ballast that came with the fixture i got from lowes. all for around 60 bucks if this helps anybody :)

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Hi, guys.

I just checked out this fixture from 53willy's post earlier:
http://www.htgsupply.com/Product-GrowBright-2-Foot-Single-Lamp-T5-Light.asp

That LOOKS RIGHT. :D
I've also checked out several other indoor plant grower's websites and there are lots to choose from, mostly at about that price BUT you must make sure the one you get is HO - "High Output" - because quite a lot of them also sell ordinary Normal Output T5 fixtures that look exactly the same but are a few bucks cheaper... some of them are labelled NO for "normal output" but these are NO GOOD.
Check the exact length and wattage of the fixture - it must match the tube you're buying.

With the reflector fitted, that should also stand up properly on top of a mesh screen, because the reflector will take the weight, and hold the tube neatly just above the mesh.

My only slight concern may be that if you use a reflector, the D3+ 12% T5 tube becomes a powerful UVB lamp which has an output more like a mercury vapour lamp than a fluorescent tube. I suspect that if placed over a screen top, this boost will make up for the loss caused by the screen, creating a really good result, but it might be too strong at close range, so for safety, don't have it closer than 8" above your dragon's head if there is no screen, or closer than 6" if it IS shining through a screen.

The only T5 reflector I've tested here in the UK is a very different shape to these... and looking at it, I am fairly certain my UK "Arcadia" strip reflector is going to be more efficient than the "plant growers" one, so I think my distance recommendations will be absolutely safe. But I'll see if I can buy something similar over here and test it out, as soon as I can.

All the best
Frances

Venutus1

Help me help you. :)

Hi, It's me Todd from LightYourReptiles.com.

Oh YES...I AM on the look out for a perfect LOW COST t-5 fixture.

But, as you folks may have found out .. out there surfing the net... it is really hard to find a perfect one. :banghead:

Now, the DeepBlues (and others for reef tanks) are wonderful and well made, but not cheap.

The ones for indoor gardening are ok, but they are more of a design that is made to be surface mounted as opposed to set on tanks or racks.

Anyway, if anybody out there comes across a real good one that is say, in the 50.00 price range...and wants to shoot me an e-mail to take a look at it, I would appreciate it. :mrgreen: :blob8:
Must come in 110v.
I have seen the NEW Arcadia T-5 fixtures and those are wonderful... but only avail. in 220v right now.
Lucky Reptiles look intersting too, but again, only come in 220v.
They don't have to be from the pet industry... I am searching all the indoor gardening options too.

I don't always get to check PMs here every day, because I am on so many forums... so e/m is the best: [email protected]

Thanks all!
Todd
http://www.lightyourreptiles.com
Thanks !
Todd

Venutus1

53willys":3hg4bdbh said:
Hi newbie question here...
what T5 high out put fixtures are you guys using with these bulbs??
sadly I bought a zilla UVB lamp before I found this forum....now it looks like I need to replace the whole set up?
or can I use a arcadia 12% light in my zila fixture? the fixture says max 17watts..and the HO 12% bulbs are 20+watts...

no.. unfortunatly not.
Those are just "NO" ... nominal output fixtures, Not the HO (high output) fixture that the Arcadia T-5's need.
You could try and swap the ballast if you are skilled in that area. But be carefull - danger- do not do it if you do not have electrical skills and knowledge.
Cheers.
Todd

Venutus1

YBS0502":2jkxjx2a said:
i have ordered a HO ballast for the t5 will replace regular output ballast that came with the fixture i got from lowes. all for around 60 bucks if this helps anybody :)
Good idea!
But....
It was a T-5 nominal output fixture to start ... right? :?:
Just checking to make sure folks know that the end sockets for T-5 are smaller than a regular flo. light end sockets,
so...
You can not just do a ballast swap in a regular t-8/ t-10 fixture.
Let me know how it comes out!
Cheers.
Todd
LightYourReptiles.com

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Hi, everyone..

Todd, how about these?
http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/lights2.shtml
The bit at the top explains nicely about the difference between T5 and the older types, and he says that ALL his products on that page are High Output T5s...

The reflector fixtures that he sells look as if they'd sit happily on a mesh top, and I really like the look of the little gantry "Jump Start Grow Light System" ... that would hold the unit nicely over an open-topped tank or a tortoise pen....and you can raise and lower it easily.

I've just discovered I can get one here in the UK, but its much more expensive. I guess it's imported from the USA... The UK name is "Root-It" -
http://www.growell.co.uk/root-it-t5-2ft-propagation-light-with-stand.html
Hmm, but I'm tempted.. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas!

All the best
Frances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom