Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Re: Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:13 pm

Ok that piece is out of rays good-- he will use those hides - the log one isn't so big so he may outgrow it before he gets full use of it - as he gets bigger you will want more floor space- he's probably having fun w/ all the climbing babies love to climb and jump- as they get older that tends to slow down- your plant is fine if he's hiding in it the UVB rays will filter thru-
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Hossinn » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:48 am

Is this a good light setup for a 48” long enclosure? I’m looking to purchase a Carolina Custom Enclosure @ 48”L x 18”W x 24”H.

https://carolinadesignerdragons.com/sho ... t-fixture/

It doesn’t seem long enough (doesn’t extend across entire enclosure, but I don’t see a longer system being offered, perhaps by design...?

Thank you.
Hossinn
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:24 am

No it's not long enough but you DO NOT want one the full length of tank - a 24" would be half of tank and would be good -- that looks like a pro T 5- look at www.pangeareptiles.com
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Hossinn » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:23 pm

I noticed this product comes with both the UVB and GU10 lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JM3V5M7

Is this the ONLY lighting source I need inside the enclosure?
It looks like this product comes available with 1, 2, or 3 GU10s (although the only one available is with 1xGU10). Why would I need 2 or 3? Is 1 x GU10 adequate?

Is this heat emitter adequate for night heating, when the lights go out?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFDRN1T

It appears a Radiant Heat Panel is unnecessary if I'm using the above lights and Heat Emitter. Right?

Should I have 2 x digital thermometers in the cage (one for each side)?
Hossinn
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:33 pm

I am not sure about the GU 10 bulb but the UVB is good- your basking bulb is trial and error- you want temps to be 105-110 for a baby taken w/ the digital probe thermometers - and yes I would get two of those --- the heat emitter is also trial and error - I use the same one in my tanks but I use the 100 watt -- but my tanks are 4x2x2 made out of PVC w/ bamboo sided and back I have no glass - the doors are plexiglass -- someone else needs to make a comment on the GU 10 bulb --- I will have CooperDragon take a look at the post
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:49 am

I agree that the UVB tube is correct, but the fact that the basking light is fixed to it negates the benefit of being able to make adjustments to change the surface temps in the enclosure. This is a similar downside to using a mercury vapor or metal halide bulb. Since UVB needs to be at a specific height (range) to provide the right amount at a given distance, it helps to have the basking light be separate so you can adjust surface temps as needed. You may wind up getting proper temps with this setup, which would be great, but lucky since it can vary so much between enclosures.

Another consideration is the beam width of the bulb. You want a nice wide spread of heat - wide enough for your dragon to bask evenly at surface temps in the 95-105 range. Bulbs with a narrow beam (or that are set too close) can't always achieve this. Multiple bulbs can be used in those cases, but it takes some adjustments.

As far as nighttime heat goes, you won't need to use anything if temps in the enclosure stay above about 65 or so overnight. You want to be careful not to bring the temps up too much (70-73 is good as a max) so the 150w CHE may be too strong. They get REALLY hot to the touch as well, so I prefer using a heat projector. They provide plenty of heat below the bulb, but are much less likely to cause burns/melting if touched http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-deep-heat-projector-50w-sale/
CooperDragon

Postby Hossinn » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:43 am

Great feedback. Do you have a basking light recommendation that has height adjustment. If I purchase that separately, then I can buy the UVB tube/fixture separately, rather than combo.

Thank you.
Hossinn
Hatchling Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:32 pm

I generally like using an adjustable lamp stand (zoomed makes them) along with a dome fixture that hangs off of it and a halogen flood light inside. The dome fixtures I use are brooder lamps from the local farm supply store. They are heavier duty than the reptile branded dome fixtures and cost under $10. I generally use a PAR38 halogen flood light from the hardware store for basking. You can use an incandescent bulb too. The key with that is to provide bright white light and have enough power to get the surface temps up to around 95-105 around the basking area.
CooperDragon

Postby Hossinn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:13 pm

Is it necessary to purchase a specific "basking" bulb (GU10)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K2BPMI2

...or is any GU10 sufficient?
https://www.amazon.com/GU10-LED-Bulbs-E ... =hi&sr=1-5
Hossinn
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:24 pm

You want a basking bulb that is bright white that keeps your temps to what I had posted and as Cooper dragon recommended one that you can adjust- basking bulbs are trial and error just make sure you have your digital probe thermometer to get temps-
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Enclosures