Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Re: Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Postby Sammimic » Fri May 10, 2019 2:54 am

Ok I’m back. The Reptisun 10.0 T8 bulb arrived shattered. Since I’ve ordered it someone has told me that a 10.0 T5 would be better to use. So now I’m on the hunt for that cheap t5 fixture. I can not find it. I’m in the US. Anyone have a link for it? I see this one on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AKKUB ... JUR2&psc=1

And then this light

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AQU8H ... 1QXE&psc=1

However, it would be great to find that cheap fixture everyone’s talking about. Does anyone have s link?

If I mount this inside the tank (my tank is 4 feet by 18 in wide by 21 in high) will it be too much for the dragon?
Sammimic
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby CooperDragon » Fri May 10, 2019 10:25 am

The fixture you linked to is a good one and is a good fit for the bulb. I would use that combination. Reflector quality makes a big difference in output so it's worth the investment. It should sit about 12'' above the main basking area for best results.
CooperDragon

Postby Sammimic » Fri May 10, 2019 10:30 am

CooperDragon wrote:The fixture you linked to is a good one and is a good fit for the bulb. I would use that combination. Reflector quality makes a big difference in output so it's worth the investment. It should sit about 12'' above the main basking area for best results.

Ok great thanks. So his basking area would be pretty low. You think this is a better option than getting a hood on top? I have equal fears of ‘frying’ my dragon as well as not having them get enough uvb.
Sammimic
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri May 10, 2019 10:35 am

Those are good for hanging since they have clips on the top for a wire. I'm not certain if that one sits flat (with the reflector extending beyond the bulb) but it could be mounted above the tank too. If you do that, a screen top will intercept some of the UVB so you'll want it to be about 10'' above the main basking area instead of 12-14''
CooperDragon

Postby claudiusx » Fri May 10, 2019 11:57 am

Additionally you can use a fixture without a reflector such as this (it's what I am using currently in my tanks)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKKULI6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But if it's going to still be too close to your dragon at the basking area, the t8 that you already ordered would be better. You could mount the t8 inside the tank and still have your basking area.

-Brandon
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko

Postby chesterbeardie818 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Hi guys, I just switched my bearded dragon into a new tank and just wanted to ask advice on the best lighting for him as I noticed he doesn’t seem too happy with it. He eats great and is very active but is a little moody which is not like him. He’s in a Zoo Med Large Low 36x18x12. I have a Zilla Desert 50 T8 UVB light which I think might be bad for him? It sits on a mesh screen but I’m trying to find a way to put it inside his tank. And then his basking bulb is a Zoo Med 100 watt Instense Basking Spot Bulb.
chesterbeardie818
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Enclosures