Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Jess":2bc53ljd said:
Aww, thanks so much guys! :mrgreen: I'm glad it's helpful. I'm hoping for a sticky!

I'll add the cool side stuff in a sec. I'll add a little more info on the UVA/UVB/UVC, but I'm trying to keep it rather simple, so if they want more info they can scroll down to your post BadCon.

Hi Jess
I'm very new to being a beardie Mommy. I've adopted a seven year old who has only ever had a basking light and red bulb for night. I've mounted a repti 10 light today and here's my question. Does the uv light stay on at night time too?

onceblue

Hatchling Member
Nope, don't leave the UVB on at night. Aim for complete darkness for night time. They're very sensitive to night so they need full darkness. Even room lights can disturb their sleep (my beardie will wake right up if I put a room light on, so I made a little curtain out of fabric for his viv).

kimmy624

Purchasing a 4x2x2 melamine cage for my first bd.

For day I plan to use:

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 High Output UVB Bulb
ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamps

How do I know what wattage to use? Are there better brands?

For night:
Here I'm a bit confused. Do I only need to use a night heat source if it drops below 65 degrees or do I just always use a night heat source.

Wanting to use a ceramic heating element for night.

Thanks!

Hooter08

Hi everyone. New to beardies. Just got my first one a few weeks ago and she (I think she) is doing great. Eating a ton. Active. Getting to know me. I just recently built my own habitat and put tile as the flooring for her 2nd story basking spot. I have some drift wood up there along with a heat/basking lamp. My only fear is that the tiles are too hot for her to bask on or walk on. What should the temp be of the tiles that she walks on and whatnot? I do not want to hurt or burn here. Any input is greatly appreciated!! I will snap a picture of her new habitat and attach it shorty! Thanks!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Have you checked the basking surface temp yet? Also, what reading are you getting on the tiles and what type of thermometer are you using?

Hooter08

I have a laster thermometer. I just got a temp and the tile surface is about 100 or so. The habitat temp is in the upper 90's. I have 2 heat lamps (a 100 watt on the one side and a 75 watt on the basking side) and a sun lamp across the top.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good that you're using a temp gun. Make sure you hold it about 2" from the area you're checking to get the best reading. What is the basking SURFACE temp and the bottom of the cool side? What size is the tank?

Also, what brand UVB are you using?

Just want to make sure all is perfect.

Hooter08

Took them again closer like you said - the TEMP seems to vary - getting a little higher readings of closer to 107 +/- in different areas. The 2 heat lamps are Zoo Med Repti Basking Lamps and the other is a Zilla UVB desert T50 one.

I made the tank myself - still not finished with it but she seems to love it so far. She runs all around it up the ramps and down them. Up the side, ECT. She seems a little more active than when she was in the 50GAL one I had her in. Here is a picture of the tank and Rita.
84333-3078797534.jpg
84333-4444122887.jpg
84333-2417322300.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Very nice job, you're very talented. :p She looks very content.

Make sure you have a cool side between 78 to 82, that's very important so she can properly thermoregulate. Did you get a reading of 107 or higher right on the tiles of the secondary basking spot? If the tiles are over 100 in an area, you could put some non-adhesive shelf liner or even a blanket in that one spot.

When it is time to change the UVB bulb in about 6 months, you might want to really think about getting a Repti-Sun 10.0 tube or an Arcadia 12% bulb as those both did better on the UVB testing and help push the UVB rays into a bigger area. I actually haven't heard very good things about the Zilla bulbs regarding eye & health issues so just keep a close eye on her.

Rita looks very sweet. :love5:

Hooter08

Thanks!!! The lower and left sides are cooler than the top. The entire bottom is open to walk around and is much cooler. I will monitor the temp there and see where that is at.

I got the 107 directly below the light. I may throw a towel in there for her to stand on but she seems to LOVE to be in the position she is in that picture - she even sleeps like that sometimes.

I will look for other UVB bulbs that you mentioned and just change them out in the next month or so. I get her out every night and look her over to see if everything is good and have had no issues so far.

Random question - when i get her out, she runs around for about 5MIN, then "snuggles" with me in my arm and goes to sleep - should I try and keep her awake and active? or let her PTFO?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great that you are enjoying her so much & she seems very happy.

They can tire out pretty easily when they run around. If she enjoys her snuggles so much and wants to sleep on you, go for it. :D I'm sure it is enjoyed by both of you.

Hooter08

I will let her do it more now if it is good then. I just did not want to screw up her sleep schedule and get her all out of wack. But if it is no harm to let her sleep then I will let her go for it.

Thanks for all the INFO! I used this site a ton before I got her and now I will use it more and more. I am sure I will post questions again.

Thanks again!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ask whatever you would like. In fact, you can feel free to start a new thread with any questions or concerns you have. :wink:

smauggle

Wooo! Took me 3 days on & off but I actually finished all 45 pages of this thread. Tons of good info, thanks so much to all contributors. Feeling pretty confident with how I will set up my lights & monitor temps. Now for a bunch more reading on feeding & vitamins!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom