Lighting Help for Newbies (:

Brandondragon1

DrogansMom":3a8ftuks said:
80390-1709179376.jpg

Can this bulb be used for basking or cool side of my 40 gallon...I'm trying to figure out the bulbs that can be used..
Yes it can any flood light only bulb that needs to be certain is uvb needs to be reptisun 10.0 HO t5 bulb fixture tube

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
DrogansMom":27kagb7o said:
80390-1709179376.jpg

Can this bulb be used for basking or cool side of my 40 gallon...I'm trying to figure out the bulbs that can be used..

Judging by the wattage (14W?) and 7 year life ... is that an LED? Even if not, 14W won't put off much heat. The new energy efficent lights are often packaged with "equivalent watts" but actually use much less which will effect the heat output. I could be wrong, though.

Also, it's worth noting that it's only 630 lumens, which is on the dim side - I would personally look for the highest lumen halogen that fits the wattage you need.

Hello..I have a zilla 100 watt basking bulb, a 150 watt purple night bulb for the basking area..if I just use the basking bulb the temp won't go above 80 if I use both at the same time it goes to about 93...I would like to use only one basking and one on cool side..Please tell me what bulbs to buy!! 40 gallon tank.. Thank you a bunch:))

CrowClaws

Is there an alternative to the Reptisun 10.0 in the US? I just bought one because it's time to replace my old bulb, and it only worked for an hour or so. Thinking back on it I've heard similar things from customers. Has anyone else had problems with theirs?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
CrowClaws":13srord2 said:
Is there an alternative to the Reptisun 10.0 in the US? I just bought one because it's time to replace my old bulb, and it only worked for an hour or so. Thinking back on it I've heard similar things from customers. Has anyone else had problems with theirs?
I have not - though I'd consider returning the bulb for replacement or contacting zoomed about it.

Arcadia lamps are available form lightyourreptiles.com

jojospain

Hi I'm new to the forum and to beardies. We have a 20 gallon fish aquarium. 1 uvb 10.0, a 100w night light, and 2 basking lights. 1 is 100 w and the other 75 w. My temp will not go above 80ish. I even got a basking stone to make sure the little guy is getting enough heat. What can I do to heat up his space without it costing me a fortune? I added the 75 w today and it only raised the temp a few degrees.

jojospain

Hi I'm new to the forum and to beardies. We have a 20 gallon fish aquarium. 1 uvb 10.0, a 100w night light, and 2 basking lights. 1 is 100 w and the other 75 w. My temp will not go above 80ish. I even got a basking stone to make sure the little guy is getting enough heat. What can I do to heat up his space without it costing me a fortune? I added the 75 w today and it only raised the temp a few degrees.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
jojospain":3hkj20c1 said:
How are you taking the temps and what is your room temp? That should be more than enough power to hear up a 20g. By basking stone do you mean a electrical hot rock?

jojospain

We keep our house no lower than 66 at night and 68-70 during the day. Now that the weather is nice it gets warmer. I have two thermometer. One is just a normal cheap gauge you get off Amazon in the reptile supplies and the other is a digital one that I got in a kit with the light hoods. I can't figure out why it's not getting warmer. I thought about getting a spot light that has the silver backing to reflect more direct light but not sure that's going to be any better than I already have. This little guy has some issues with his front feet/ankles and that's why he was for adoption. Petsmart couldn't sell him. I just want to make sure he doesn't have any additional issues because the tank is too cold. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
jojospain":31fpuoo5 said:
We keep our house no lower than 66 at night and 68-70 during the day. Now that the weather is nice it gets warmer. I have two thermometer. One is just a normal cheap gauge you get off Amazon in the reptile supplies and the other is a digital one that I got in a kit with the light hoods. I can't figure out why it's not getting warmer. I thought about getting a spot light that has the silver backing to reflect more direct light but not sure that's going to be any better than I already have. This little guy has some issues with his front feet/ankles and that's why he was for adoption. Petsmart couldn't sell him. I just want to make sure he doesn't have any additional issues because the tank is too cold. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
How are you using the digital one? It needs to be basicaly on the basking surface. How far away are the lights? What sort of hood do you use, is it a dome?

My suggestion and personal practice for temp monitoring is to use an IR gun for surface temperatures and a digital for ambient air temps.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi. It sounds like you're not getting accurate temp readings, as Taterbug said, you should certainly be getting higher temps with all that wattage in only a 20 gallon tank. Is the digital one a digital strip or does it have a long wire & probe end? A spot light would be too hot for that size tank. Can you post a picture of the enclosure showing the way the lights are set up?

What brand & type of UVB are you using?

grkmikey

hey guys i need help. i have a few problems. i got my terrarium hood and i ordered the power center timer for it and a lamp. i recently heard that the hood wouldn work with the timer. i need help guys. also the the tube lights flickers and barely works only if i hold it in place. its like its not in all the way. please help guys!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
grkmikey":2ak2up3p said:
hey guys i need help. i have a few problems. i got my terrarium hood and i ordered the power center timer for it and a lamp. i recently heard that the hood wouldn work with the timer. i need help guys. also the the tube lights flickers and barely works only if i hold it in place. its like its not in all the way. please help guys!

Is your tube fully seated? The sockets on either end are designed so that you need to rotate the bulb 90 degrees to lock it in. Sometimes it takes a bit more force than you expect, but still be careful not to break the bulb.

What hood do you have and what sort of timer? Most timers are just on/off devices than cut the power and turn off the lights. If you still have the documents for the hood it might say, or you might be able to find the, on the manufacturers website.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pooper
Top Bottom