Compact lamps unsafe? UVGuideUK brief update

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Frances, I want to thank you again for sticking by us and trying to help us figure out what is going on with all these bulbs. What would we do without you? I know you agree that this is all very frustrating.

If you would like, I would be happy to send you one of the T-Rex's that I'm concerned about and afraid to use again so that it can be tested. Hopefully that will help us get some answers.

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Just wanted to chime in and say thank you also to Frances. I've been rather MIA on the site lately, but have been following along the issues with the MegaRay and T-Rex rather closely, as I've used both bulbs. I purchased a MegaRay in October. It was to replace our 8-9 month old T-Rex which I believe had lost much of its UVB power (judging by our beardie's behavior and change in eating patterns, etc). The MegaRay perked him right up and we haven't had any issue with it, but it appears that perhaps we bought ours a bit before the poor reports of eyes issues, etc. Unless there are any unforeseen issues, I should need another one until the fall, so I'm hoping all issues are "of the past" by then, as I would prefer to use either the MegaRay of T-Rex bulbs for our dear boy.

Thanks again for starting and hanging with this thread Frances. You are a wealth of information, and it is MUCH appreciated. :)

The best,
Em

ashesc212

Sub-Adult Member
Thank you for all of the information so far but I am very confused and concerned. I was not aware that T-Rex could cause PKC. I have been using T-Rex MVBs for the past year and I have not noticed any of my lizards closing their eyes frequently, or anything unusual. However, now I am wondering if I just missed the signs? Since it is night here now, all the lizards are asleep and their MVBs are off so I cannot check. When were these T-Rex bulbs purchased (the ones that caused the issues)?

Just to clarify, the Reptisun 10.0 tube, the Powersun MVB, and the ExoTerra Solar Glo MVB are all safe? I ask this because I just switched two lizards to the Solar Glo in the past few weeks due to its very reasonable price. -but, two are still using T-Rex.

lilacdragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, Ashesc212.

It is ONLY the most recent batches of ReptileUV MegaRays and T-Rex Active UV Heat Flood lamps which seem to have problems. These are lamps manufactured since October 2009. Some lamps manufactured after October were made, unknowingly, with a glass which lets out too short a wavelength of UVB, in high amounts, so that reptiles sitting close to these lamps are at risk from eye problems.

We don't think all the lamps seem to have been affected, either; in particular T-Rex have not confirmed that any of their batches are affected although we are gathering evidence to the contrary. Nine possible cases have been reported on this forum so far. (Bear in mind that thousands of lamps have been sold since October...)
ReptileUV have not taken any chances at all, and have been recalling any bulb sold after October if the owner is at all suspicious about it. I understand they are applying a new external coating to all lamps, which filters out shorter wavelengths. I think they will probably announce when these safer lamps will start shipping.

But if
  • your lamps (either T-Rex or ReptileUV) were purchased before October, OR
  • they were purchased after October but your reptiles showed no noticeable problems during the first two to three weeks of using them, AND
  • you have your dragon's head at least a couple of inches further away than the minimum recommended distance printed on the box
then please be reassured; your lamps are almost certainly okay and so are your dragons.

Every ZooMed Reptisun 10.0 tube I have ever tested has been fine. I have never heard of any eye problems with these.
These have a "safe" spectrum with no abnormally short-wavelength UVB. They last a full year. However, like all tubes, they are only providing "UVB in the shade on a sunny day" so use a reflector behind the tube, keep it about 8 - 10" above your dragon's back, and make sure it is close to the basking lamp, so it is lighting up the basking zone as well as about half the length of the tank.

I have only tested three ExoTerra Solar Glo lamps. I am expecting some more to test, soon, thanks to a kind offer from Dawn on this forum. All three tested so far had a "safe" spectrum with no abnormally short-wavelength UVB. Two tested in 2007 had "sunbeam" levels of UVB at 12" (UV Index 3 - 4); one tested in spring 2009 was about the same as a Reptisun 10.0 tube fitted with a reflector. (UV Index 2). I have heard recently from ExoTerra that they have a new manufacturing process, so these results may already be out of date. But I have never heard of any eye problems with these.

There have been major changes in ZooMed Powersuns over the last 18 months. If you check out
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercvapourfloods.htm#zoomedpowersun
you'll see that we have found that the 100W in particular was changed (by altering the front coating) to emit far higher levels of UVB. These were not wavelengths shorter than found in sunlight, but the amounts were great enough to cause reports of eye problems and general dis-satisfaction from quite a few people. I rarely hear of problems now, so I think they may have changed the specs back to what they had before, as they said they were going to, back in the fall... But I have not heard anything definite from them to this effect.

Basically: if you buy a new lamp:
  • make certain it's NEVER closer to the top of the dragon's head than the minimum recommended distance;
  • double-check your temperatures both under the lamp (at dragon height) and in your cool end; and
  • watch your dragon's response over the first week.
If there's something wrong, it's not a subtle change. You will definitely see the problem. Dragons with PKC look miserable.

All the best
Frances

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Frances, thanks for all the great information on the different uvb bulbs. I'm sure alot of members are or have been quite confused as to which ones to use and which ones not to use. Hopefully your post will help with some of the confusion. Even those of us who have been following these problems and issues with the mvb's have been confused and worried about which ones are safe.
I am off to the post office today to ship the Solar Glo's and am looking forward to the results that you get when testing them.
Thank you for being such a reliable source of information to us. It is greatly appreciated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great information Frances, thanks. So many people are frustrated with the lighting right now, with having so many problems crop up lately. You are always so helpful with everyone & explaining everything so well. We all appreciate your hard work & time you put in for the reptiles. :D

Tracie

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
I have only tested three ExoTerra Solar Glo lamps. I am expecting some more to test, soon, thanks to a kind offer from Dawn on this forum. All three tested so far had a "safe" spectrum with no abnormally short-wavelength UVB. Two tested in 2007 had "sunbeam" levels of UVB at 12" (UV Index 3 - 4); one tested in spring 2009 was about the same as a Reptisun 10.0 tube fitted with a reflector. (UV Index 2). I have heard recently from ExoTerra that they have a new manufacturing process, so these results may already be out of date. But I have never heard of any eye problems with these.
Frances if you need anymore of the Solar Glo's to test I have plenty ranging from brand new not even burnt in to 3 months of age...I may even have one that is 5 months of age. I have been using this bulb as you know for quite sometime with no real issues. However I have noticed in the past several months say since about October or November that the bulbs are not putting off as much heat...so need to add even more heat with extra bulb. My beardies were beginning to bask less and less. So on Valentine's Day we switched to Reptisuns. I have to say to anyone else that might be having this thought that I'm very impressed with the Reptisuns and the way all of my beardies are reacting to them. And to not have the worry about the MVB is worth every penny of the switch over to me right now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom