my bearded dragons tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 30 gal tank and i have a 100w heat lamp red basking lamp and the uv bulb but it wasint holding enough heet so i figurd tinfoil holds heat wel so i put tinfoil on the sides of the tank and now my dragon seems more active. i got him a week ago he only a month old and i only have the one so i asume very lonly maby so maby he thinks he seeing more then just him idono but i just concernd.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Well, taking out the red light and putting in a bright white light will probably help the temps. Red lights are a very outdated idea for dragons, they need bright white light to bask and digest. And your baby is NOT lonely. Please do not get another dragon under the impression this one is lonely, it is NEVER advised to keep 2 dragons together, it all to often results in domination, failure to thrive, injury, lost limbs or death.

newbdowner

Original Poster
ok that would probly explain the missing toes when i got him the petstore didnt eaven treat him for infection i been giving him electrolites to keep him eating but ya ok oh and i not useing subtrate just paper towels is this ok?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
That's perfect. I never advise a loose substrate, all of mine are on tile. Easy to clean, looks nice, files their nails!

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I spent $25 to tile 3 vivs bigger than yours, and it's a one time investment. The surface temp of the hottest place in your viv shouldn't be over 110*, so no, it won't burn them. How are you taking your temps? What kind of thermometer?

newbdowner

Original Poster
at the moment i dont have the best eqwip cause for the moest part the dragon was a gift from my parents but i got a zila thermomerter / hydromiter all in one and it a gage type i cant get the digitel till i gets more money but ya

newbdowner

Original Poster
as for the temps i can get the basking area to about 100f but the rest of tank i not sure wat it is it proly around 80 is this too cold and too hot for basking?

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Is there a Walmart near you? I love my indoor/outdoor Acurite and it was only $12.

newbdowner

Original Poster
yes there is but hence i live in manitoba canada prices arnt always cheep sadly and i have 30 dolers to my name atm, i curently have live feeder crikets only for him tho so i kinda wana get him eeating more but i cant eaven get him to drink properly

peera

Sub-Adult Member
You're aiming for a basking spot of 105* and a cool end of 70-80. So you're actually on the high end for the cool side, but you're close! You can switch out the red bulb for a household bulb (not the coil energy savers)- I'm sure your parents have some around. Let me know what the temps on both sides look like once you do that, let it set at least 20 minutes to get a good read.

Most dragons will not drink out of water dishes. Standing water in the wild is stagnant & possibly poisonous. giving him a bath (baby-warm water to his shoulders) a few times a week will allow him to absorb some of that and keep him hydrated.

newbdowner

Original Poster
i actuly did give him a bath but i got realy worried after cause he started thrashing around and got his head under the water and the opend its mouth and eather coffing or crying i dont know but i felt bad after i scared to do it agen now

peera

Sub-Adult Member
If you put a towel down or keep your hand in there, they usually take it more calmly since they don't slip'n'slide so much. Opening his mouth underwater usually means they're drinking. Scared the heck out of me too the first couple times. Just make sure to keep it shallow (it only needs to cover his vent(where the poop comes out)) till he gets used to it and let him know you're there.

newbdowner

Original Poster
ok but um back to what i was origanly woundering with the tinfoil and him becoming more active i meen pryer to me putting tinfoil on sides of tank he was lazy and now he running from end to end and up on the basking / hide log and going nuts, its cute realy. but concerning me

newbdowner

Original Poster
:D well i deceded to try somthing new and use a cardboad sheet in replacement of the paper towels, so i cut a peaice to fit bottom of tank snugly and put every thing back ware should be and seeld all the cracs ware the crikets could hide and to be honest this works way better then the papper towls its easy to cleen just wipe it asap after your dragon has done his duitys, my dragon isnt having to go constantly looking for his food now under paper towels. the only downside is when my dragon runs around at night you can hear his feet just a goin same as the crikets they move and ya hear em so it benifets the dragon as well he can hear them beter. thanks just figured id share this. ^-^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom