Question about lighting for 55 gallon tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdc873

Hi I have a 55 gallon tank with a reptisun 10.0 bulb in a 18 inch fixture and a 100 watt regular light bulb for basking. Is this enough lighting? How far does this have to be from him for him to get the proper UVB and heat. The tank is about 1 1/2 feet - 2 feet high and 4 feet long.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
A simlar discussion took place in another thread.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=107815

That may answer your questions. The bottom line is, we can't tell you a distance for basking temps over the internet...as room conditions vary from house to house. What we can tell you is that he needs to be within 8" or so of the reptisun UVB fixture, and you should use a thermometer, preferably a digital one, to check his basking temps. Shoot for 105 degrees F.

bdc873

Original Poster
thanks for the great link.

I still have some pressing questions about the tank though.

Assuming I get a MVB can I just use any dome lighting fixture? Because I used to have one for my regular light bulb and I would just place that over the screen lid, but i heard the MVB is too hot so how do you place it on your tank?

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
bdc873":58ac3 said:
thanks for the great link.

I still have some pressing questions about the tank though.

Assuming I get a MVB can I just use any dome lighting fixture? Because I used to have one for my regular light bulb and I would just place that over the screen lid, but i heard the MVB is too hot so how do you place it on your tank?

You do have to make sure that you get a ceramic fixture to handle the extra heat of an MVB. A 100watt MVB will suffice just fine for a 55g with a screen top. Make sure the screen itself is metal mesh though and not fiberglass mesh. The fiberglass one WILL melt.

bdc873

Original Poster
so as long as the fixture of dome is ceramic and the screen is metal not fiberglass i should be fine? How do I know if the screen is metal?

bdc873

Original Poster
my 55 gallon has a division in the middle I guess your supposed to put two screen tops in there? Can anyone link me to some good screen tops?

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Here is a link to various type opening screen tops for 55 gal tanks http://www.strictlypetsupplies.com/_096316670259-Energy-Savers-Zilla-Fresh-Air-Screen-With

Be very careful also with the plastic lip that goes around the top of the tank and the plastic divider in the center of the tank....they will melt. No, you do not need two separate screens for that particular tank. That divider in the center is actually used for the light hoods you use for fish aquariums. They fit right down inside the plastic lip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom