New substrate option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornellA96

Hi guys,

First time posting here!

I've so far been using prorep Beardie life substrate and had no issues, my Dragon loves it and eats out of dishes, so I've yet to see any issues from that side.

At his most recent check up I took a faecal sample in and he's got pinworms, we start the treatment today, so hopefully he won't be too grumpy with me for long!

Due to the nature of pinworms I'm going to be completely sanitising his 4x2x2 enclosure removing everything. To limit the risk of recontamination I'd like to change him on to a simple substrate and I've been looking at different options. One of the things I was considering was a basic floor mat, like you'd get for a garage or elsewhere.
https://www.halfords.com/tools/gara...ack-floor-mat-set---120cm-x-180cm-336870.html

The advantages I can see of using a mat like this as substrate are that it would be easy to clean as it's water resistant, I could get multiple sheets and just swap out when deep cleaning. It also eliminates any risk of impaction, and no loops like in reptile carpet for his claws to get stuck in (he has rocks and logs to file his nails down on passively).

I can't really see any major downside, I'm hoping some users here might have experience with using material like this for their beardies and be able to offer some advice.

Many thanks in advance! :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as there is no glue or adhesive on the backing you can use it -- you can also use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from you local home improvement store - it might be cheaper I dont know but you can clean it w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 -- cut to the size of the tank --- insects cannot get underneath it

cornellA96

Original Poster
No adhesive or glue and nothing toxic from the product description. Cost isn't really a concern, ideally I'd like to move him to slate tiles once I've moved next month for ease of cleaning and keeping claws trimmed with a digging area for him to play in as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom