Looking for Opinions on UVB Placement for New Habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
So my 8' x 2' x 2' Zen Habitat enclosure is all put together. Now I am just waiting on the two cabinet stands which should be here by end of next month. Until them, I am going to spend this time on getting the habitat set up properly, plus get temperature gradients and humidity right before moving Ziggy in.

I post this seeking opinions on what you think is the best way to position a Zoom Med Reptisun Hood from an aerial perspective and why. I am already mounting inside so that much I do know. What I do not know yet and would like your opinions on is where inside? From an aerial perspective should I mount at the back? or in the middle? The basking bulbs, which will be two, will be mounted over head and on top of the metal screen. Picture for reference.

So whats your opinion and why?

111468-4053459619.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The placement should be inside the tank not on top of the screen -screen blocks too much UVB unless the screen is a wide hole type and it MUST be wide--- fine mesh is too constricting of the UVB rays especially for a 24" height and distance for on top of screen is going to be different from inside the tank---- are you using the 14% Arcadia bulb or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb- they require certain distances for that bulb-- it is up to you as to where you want it in the tank - you do not want it mounted on the back wall --- over head for both fixtures is best -- w/ decor pieces directly underneath -

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2kwj659f said:
The placement should be inside the tank not on top of the screen -screen blocks too much UVB unless the screen is a wide hole type and it MUST be wide--- fine mesh is too constricting of the UVB rays especially for a 24" height and distance for on top of screen is going to be different from inside the tank---- are you using the 14% Arcadia bulb or a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb- they require certain distances for that bulb-- it is up to you as to where you want it in the tank - you do not want it mounted on the back wall --- over head for both fixtures is best -- w/ decor pieces directly underneath -

Thanks for the reply.

My original post noted that the UVB will be mounted inside. Only the basking bulb will be mounted on top of the screen. The bulb is a Reptisun T5 10.0. It’s not going to be mounted on the back wall, it’s going to be mounted overheard. I was simply asking if there is any benefit being mounted overhead in the middle or overhead near the back. Obviously there will be an overlap with basking bulb/spot and UVB. I guess as you stated it’s preference at the end of the day of where exactly the UVB is placed.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry I reread that twice and still misunderstood and thought you meant top of screen -- but yes its preference to you as to where you want to put them -- just make sure distance for them is 12-15 inches directly above the decor piece -- :)

ZiggyDust

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3beixf19 said:
Sorry I reread that twice and still misunderstood and thought you meant top of screen -- but yes its preference to you as to where you want to put them -- just make sure distance for them is 12-15 inches directly above the decor piece -- :)

Sorry if I made that confusing lol. Yea 12-15 inches will be very doable. I also purchased a solar meter 6.5 to test and find the best place for basking in relation to the UVB.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The overall layout looks good. I would keep the tube bulb placement towards the middle,
alongside the basking light. That way, it is shining more directly down onto your dragon.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom