Keeping beardie outside of cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

catwu20

Beardie name(s)
Ginger
Hey all, so my beardie (2 yr female) hates being inside her enclosure and always tries to glass surf. We have her out of the enclosure for 12+ hours (the whole day), and she has taken a liking to a pile of pillows near a window. She returns to it every time after scampering around, so I suppose she considers it her home.

We set up a heat lamp and UVB, but the problem is that there is no heat gradient. As well, her new home has no rocks, branches, hiding place, etc. and doesn't resemble her natural habitat, so I seriously doubt for her happiness. It's just a pile of pillows.

One option I have been thinking about is building around and expanding this pile of pillows. Add platforms, a rock wall, branches, live plants, etc. to create a heat gradient and look more like her Australian home. Or, we can try to put her back in her enclosure and try to make her more comfortable with it. What do you guys think? Do you think she is happy as is? I can provide pictures if you want :D Thanks guys!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
However you want to do it but the main concern is UVB time and basking time--- she needs those as an absolute!! What size tank is she in?

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
KarrieRee":1pgoegkr said:
However you want to do it but the main concern is UVB time and basking time--- she needs those as an absolute!! What size tank is she in?

It is 55 gal I believe (48" x 18" x 23"). She eats in the morning and we move her closer to the heat lamp to let her bask for 2 hours (around 32-35 degrees). Otherwise, we remove some pillows and let her stand at around 26 degrees. If she's not outside, the UVB stays on for 12 hours.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your tank is a 85 gallon-- that is a good size tank --- I am not understanding why she would be glass surfing----- is she doing any digging at all? Your UVB is a tube fixture?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Window glass blocks nearly all UVA and UVB .

Suggest setting up a portable MVB or 26W UVB200 in a dome hung from lampstand or a door nob or the back of a dining chair or even from an indoor clothes / towel drying rack/stand near the favored window if she prefers being outside the tank.

Avail on Ebay
screenshot-310.png

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":fq8p76lr said:
Your tank is a 85 gallon-- that is a good size tank --- I am not understanding why she would be glass surfing----- is she doing any digging at all? Your UVB is a tube fixture?

Think the OP needs to check the tank temperatures when the basking globe is on. VERY LIKELY this behaviour is her trying to escape temperatures in the tank that are too high.
temperature-response-of-p.png

Turn off / unplug the BASKING GLOBE and see if she's happier in her tank with just the UV tube , she will still need a hide so she can escape the UV when she's had enough.

12hrs under a T5 10% UVB tube is NOT adequate for a bearded dragon.

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
kingofnobbys":3ndp14ad said:
KarrieRee":3ndp14ad said:

Think the OP needs to check the tank temperatures when the basking globe is on. VERY LIKELY this behaviour is her trying to escape temperatures in the tank that are too high.
temperature-response-of-p.png

Turn off / unplug the BASKING GLOBE and see if she's happier in her tank with just the UV tube , she will still need a hide so she can escape the UV when she's had enough.

12hrs under a T5 10% UVB tube is NOT adequate for a bearded dragon.

Hello, I checked the temperatures and they are all below 36. She glass surfs even without the basking light on. As for UVB, what do you recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A Arcadia 24" fixture w/ the 12% Euro / Desert bulb--- this is for the tank correct?

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
KarrieRee":21av0nqy said:
A Arcadia 24" fixture w/ the 12% Euro / Desert bulb--- this is for the tank correct?

Yes, for the tank. I am wondering why isn't the T5 enough? Is it the distance?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They are considered the same --- both are good bulbs - I figured you were not in the states and the Arcadia would be easier to get a hold of --- they both require the same distance --- 12-15 inches inside the tank directly over the basking decor ---- I am using a Zoo Med fixture 24" for my 120 gallon tank w/ the Arcadia 12% bulb --

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
KarrieRee":838c6cmi said:
They are considered the same --- both are good bulbs - I figured you were not in the states and the Arcadia would be easier to get a hold of --- they both require the same distance --- 12-15 inches inside the tank directly over the basking decor ---- I am using a Zoo Med fixture 24" for my 120 gallon tank w/ the Arcadia 12% bulb --

Okay, thank you for clarifying! I am using the Zoo Med 30" T5 hood with the Reptisun 5.0 T5. Would that be ok? My vet gave me this chart, and I'm keeping the light at a 4.5" distance:
https://zoomed.com/wp-content/uploads/UVB-Lighting-Selection.jpg

Would all of that be ok?

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
KarrieRee":xo9zq13h said:

Hello, no, she is not doing any digging :( the vet says that she looks generally healthy. Yes it is a tube fixture - Reptisun 5.0 T5 kept at 4.5 inches away at the basking spot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would up grade your bulb to the 10.0 - the 5.0 is more for aquarium use then you would need to raise the distance to 12-15 inches --- so your good just upgrade your bulb and distance - the 10.0 would need to be changed out every year I recommend a month prior to --- the 5.0 needs to be changed out every 6 months as they are not as strong----------- also 4.5 inches is pretty close we recommend 6-8 directly above this could be why shes glass surfing so much --- it may be too strong w/ that close

catwu20

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ginger
KarrieRee":2bhqul2s said:
I would up grade your bulb to the 10.0 - the 5.0 is more for aquarium use then you would need to raise the distance to 12-15 inches --- so your good just upgrade your bulb and distance - the 10.0 would need to be changed out every year I recommend a month prior to --- the 5.0 needs to be changed out every 6 months as they are not as strong

Okay, got it! Will there be any issues if I continue to use the 5.0? Is it the potency of the UV rays?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
also 4.5 inches is pretty close we recommend 6-8 directly above this could be why shes glass surfing so much --- it may be too strong w/ that close--- and no the the using it --- just raise it up to 6-8--- 4.5 is too close I am thinking and thats why your getting the behavior your getting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom