Question about enclosures/cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainDragon

Heya I made an account here hoping you guys can help me with a few questions. So I've been wanting a bearded dragon for a while now and now that I got some change laying around I decided to finally try and see if I can get a beardie.

To start I know I want an adult cage from the get go because I don't want to deal with upgrading later on. Well see the thing is that according to online the adult cahe should be a 40 gallon, but thats insanely small for an adult. I asked a few people and I was told to get a 120 gallon, but thats really big. Like where do you even fit that? I was aiming to get something like a 70-90 gallon tank does that work? Or does it even exist?

One of the thingsI realized is how hard it is to find anything bigger than a 40 gallon tank even though bearded dragons are suppose to be common reptile pets. It just really surprised me. If any of you guys can provide links to places that sell bearded dragon tanks of good size please do.

WinFam01

Juvie Member
We got a 36x18x18 and I was hoping it would be good for both the baby and adult. But now that she is almost 6 months I can see how it's really not big enough for an adult. By using a gallon calculator, I found that it is around 55 gallons IIRC, so I would advise going for something like a 75 gallon of your looking gallon wise. Otherwise I would say look for something 48x24x24, or maybe even 48x18x18.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Going by gallons can be a bit misleading as that is really for aquariums and a 120 gallon aquarium is a completely different footprint than what most people actually recommend for a bearded dragon. Most people try to aim for a 4'x2'x2' enclosure. If you check out the diy forum there are lots of ideas if you want to try building one if not I'm sure someone will be around soon with some places they have bought theirs from.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
If you're looking to buy, rather than build, I would suggest moving away from tanks entirely (unless you can find them made for reptiles with front-opening doors); having to do everything through the top of the cage, as I've realized with my first beardie, is really a pain in the tuckus. It also prevents you from easily getting a temp reading in the basking zone with a temp gun.

Lots of people sing the praises of Zen Habitats, which are pricey but fabulous (it's what I'm saving towards for upgrading my boy's enclosure):
https://www.zenhabitats.com/

Even pricier are these, but they're pretty well designed:
https://reptilekages.com/collections/terrestrial-enclosures/products/4x2x2-pvc-enclosure?variant=31282015502398

Good luck with finding your hab - and good job starting out right, and wanting the best size possible for your dragon! I wish I'd done the same!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have 2 Zen Habitats and I love them - here is a pic of one of them
97951-7863920475.jpg
Karrie

Draven88

Hatchling Member
As mentioned measuring in gallons is more of a reference that whet to go by. The open floor space is the first concern which I agree that 4'x2' is a good size to aid for. Now with that said you can go 2' tall and basking decor to be the right height for UVB and basking temps ant at is toughly 120 gallons. On the other hand with the same 4'x2' floor space at 18" tall you would have lights closer and not need basking decor as high and roughly 90 gallons. Both give good room to move around, and I personally likr the full 2' height to allow some climbing and higher basking as they do like to be up when basking, but the 18" will work.

Also I fully agree on front mounted hinged or sliding doors. Any tank that has a screen top can be harder to maintain optimal temps. (Not impossible, just more heat is lost) Also a glass tank will lose more heat than a wood material that is properly sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom