Safe distance for 160watt megaray thru screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Hey guy’s was wondering if anyone did some testing on 160 watt megeray to see what the correct distance is through a screen. I know that 18 inches is the minimum without a screen, was curious to know what the best and safest distance is thru a screen. Any help would be awesome thank you. I had a 100 watt megaray and thru a screen you guys said 8 to 10 inches is optimal so I’m assuming I could be 15 inches thru a screen with the 160 and be safe?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't tested that one myself (I just have the 100w and can confirm 12'' is about right without a screen). The 160w is likely to need to be more like in the 16-20'' range or so, but I can't confirm without testing it. I do note that on my latest 100w MegaRay there is a "hot spot" of UVB right down the center that is very intense, making the bulb almost unusuable. An area of about 2'' diameter has double the normal amount of UVB being produced at 12''. A dragon can easily move to the side to avoid it, but I don't know if this is a one off issue or if it is more widespread in the newer productions (or if it carries to the 160w).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think you'll find that you'll need to set the distance to get the correct basking spot temperature ( aim for about 40 degC and correct warm zone temperature ( mid 30s degC ), then your UVA and UVB will be what ever it is after shading by the screen lid it's on or overtop off.

This can help you work out if the UV output (combined UVA & UVB) will be adequate
megaray-160-W-UVI-chart.png

bare in mind the screen / mesh lid will block up to 50% of the UV depending in the mesh size .

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
What type of screen is it ? The very fine mesh would not be good with a 160 watt [ it may burn ] so hopefully you have the screen with larger holes.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
On your 100 watt which I also have when you say 12 inches is the right distance do you mean from the basking surface or the top of the bear die?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom