Some questions

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Re: Some questions

Postby claudiusx » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:32 am

Nightshade15 wrote:is there a danger of the uvb bulb being too close?

Hi there,

Yes there is. The recommended distance for the t8 reptisun 10.0 is 6-8 inches unobstructed from the basking surface. This number is with a reflector installed in the fixture.
How close is your tube to the basking surface? And does it have a reflector?

-Brandon
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Nightshade15 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:25 pm

It’s at the very top of the tank and it’s a 40 breeder so its about 6 inches from the basking spot at its lowest point then, if that’s good then he should be okay. The baby beardie temp for basking is 110 right?
Nightshade15
Newbie Poster

Postby Ziranos » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:39 pm

claudiusx wrote:Will the reptisun 10.0 be the t8 version or the t5 HO version?
If the t8 then yes you do want it under the screen for sure.

Does a T5 HO not need to be placed inside the tank? I'm either going to buy the Reptisun 10 T5 or an Arcadia 12% T5. My tank is also fairly tall if that matters; 80cm/31 inches. Top is mainly glass, with a metal ventilation grid going through the middle.
Ziranos
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:22 pm

The T 5 can sit on top but take the cover off the bulb so its exposed and it needs to sit on the screen not the glass of course -- 10-12 inches from basking area
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby claudiusx » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:23 pm

Screens cut down on the amount of UVB that the dragon gets exposed to. So, with the T5 being a stronger bulb, you can make it work ontop of the screen, as long as you get your distances right with it.

-Brandon
claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Nightshade15 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:56 am

Okay, yeah oddly all of the ceramic tiles at Lowe’s where I live were pretty slick, this was the only one I found with some texture to it. And ok if the height of the tank is roughly 18 inches then the basking site should be 6 inches from the uvb still.
Nightshade15
Newbie Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:25 am

Nightshade15 wrote:Okay, yeah oddly all of the ceramic tiles at Lowe’s where I live were pretty slick, this was the only one I found with some texture to it.

I found similar. The tiles I ended up with were the huge 12" x 24".
I bought 2 boxes: (I like to have extras, cuz I can be a klutz.) :oops:
One box is real slate; the other is ceramic, but looks & feels like slate. Both are quite rough.
The latter is closer to the smaller backsplash tiles I chose.
Whichever I don't use, I'll return. :)
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:00 am

You dont want something so rough its going to hurt the tummy--- here is a pic of what is in my tank
[Click image to enlarge]

I got this at Home Depot but could not find it on line --- its a slated grey ceramic floor tile
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:15 am

KarrieRee wrote:I got this at Home Depot but could not find it on line --- its a slated grey ceramic floor tile

Is that a wood grain? What I've got has less texture than that, but enough to have an effect on claws over time. About the roughness of unpolished slate, and not as rough as rocks/stones in the Outback. Tummy will be in no peril. :wink:

The basking stones I have are considerably rougher (~100 grit sandpaper), but he'll only be on those to get on & off of--not big enough to cause any harm from belly-dragging.
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

Postby Nightshade15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:33 pm

That wood grain tile looks almost exactly like what I got except mine were porcelain I thought but maybe they were labeled wrong or something. But mine look pretty much like that except brown and grey and have that wood grain texture to them.
Nightshade15
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Enclosures