MegaRay Heat Projector - Fixture? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdie

Good Morning!

I’m a new beardie owner, so please excuse all the anxious posts :)

I currently have a red lamp heat fixture which was included in the ZooMed 40-gallon “starter” kit. I’m realizing after doing more research that this is NOT the way to go. I live in Southern California, so it doesn’t get too cold here. But I am in the mountains so it can dip down into the 40s (F) sometimes.

I have seen CooperDragon’s poss recommending the MegaRay Heat Projector. I’m ready to purchase it but has questions about the fixture.

The website says it fits a “Standard ES fixture”, which I assume means “Edison style”. But the website also says that you use it in conjunction with a MegaRay Flood Lamp (and I don’t see that for sale on the website).

My question is, can I use it with the dual combo ZooMed lamp I already have? Or does it need a separate fixture?

By the way, I’m planning on getting the Arcadia 12% fixture and bulb and getting rid of the terrible coil UVB bulb that came with our starter kit.

Thanks for any help or input!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I doubt very much it could go in the dual fixture. Look at the rating on the dome of the highest watt bulb it can handle. You could always get an aluminum large dome reflector that is rated for 250 watts at Walmart/Home Depot or a farm/Agway type store. They are sold on Amazon as well :

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwjImaXzhJjfAhWLiGkKHfwYAO0YABAYGgJpcQ&sig=AOD64_0_0fVI3SUxUl-DLVymi5N-gAgnWg&ctype=5&q=&ved=0ahUKEwiSlZ7zhJjfAhVm9YMKHbhiDe4Q9aACCFk&adurl=

You would just take the front metal guards off .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it just depends on if the fixture can handle the wattage (60w - so not that high really). I use them in single dome fixtures as AHBD described.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Birdie":1mz0tubl said:
Good Morning!

I’m a new beardie owner, so please excuse all the anxious posts :)

I currently have a red lamp heat fixture which was included in the ZooMed 40-gallon “starter” kit. I’m realizing after doing more research that this is NOT the way to go. I live in Southern California, so it doesn’t get too cold here. But I am in the mountains so it can dip down into the 40s (F) sometimes.

I have seen CooperDragon’s poss recommending the MegaRay Heat Projector. I’m ready to purchase it but has questions about the fixture.

The website says it fits a “Standard ES fixture”, which I assume means “Edison style”. But the website also says that you use it in conjunction with a MegaRay Flood Lamp (and I don’t see that for sale on the website).

My question is, can I use it with the dual combo ZooMed lamp I already have? Or does it need a separate fixture?

By the way, I’m planning on getting the Arcadia 12% fixture and bulb and getting rid of the terrible coil UVB bulb that came with our starter kit.

Thanks for any help or input!
Is your house not heated?? I live in the northeast (US) where it drops below 0 degrees at night and have never needed to heat my tank at night. I set my home to 65-67 degrees, and that is fine for beardies at night

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My house usually goes into the high 50s/low 60s overnight in the winter. Sometimes cooler if it's a subzero night. Very leaky old house and I prefer having the temps cooler. The heat projectors do a great job of bumping the temps in the tank just a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom