What bulbs to use in dual bulb fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camhabit

Hello all, I have a 2 year old dragon named Baby, newly adopted, and I just bought a dual bulb fixture and I was wondering what bulbs to use in It? I know one uvb and one uva basking, but like what brands do y'all reccomend/what wattage?

Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget as I am 16.

*I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and my old lady basks about 10" away from it. Thanks.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
The double dome/dual fixtures can hold pretty much just heat lamps. Theres barely any uvb bulbs that will provide proper uvb on a mesh screen in one of those fixture. There are MVB's which supply heat and uvb, however to even get the correct temperature you may expose her to too much uvb as they are terrible at giving off heat.

If you do go with a MVB however id recommend one of arcadias MVB's, or a megaray MVB.

The best way for UVB that i'd suggest doing is going with a tube light, a reptisun t5 HO 10.0 22" or 34" with a reflective fixture should be good. You can get it on amazon, usually they need to be replaced every 6-12 months.
Or you could go with a Arcadia D3+ 12% T5 HO 22" or 34" with a fitting reflective fixture. Replacement would probably be 6-12 months. However I am not sure and someone else that has tested it before may be of more help with how long they usually last on average.

For overall heat a 75-120 watt bright regular basking bulb will work.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Well, given the type of fixture, I'd recommend Exo Terra basking bulb and UVB. There are a few brands that have greatly improved their compact uvb performance compared to their release many years ago. I personally use exo terra compact uvb and the basking bulb as they're one of the brands that have updated the tech in their compact bulbs to the point where it's performance is similar to that of a tube uvb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the 26w UVB200 is probably your best bet on a budget. I would try to get it closer to 6-8'' from the basking spot to be more effective. That bulb should fit your existing fixture. I would start saving for a 22'' T5 UVB light though which would be optimal and a good long term solution for UVB.

Camhabit

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies everyone! I will look for the 26w someone mentioned...and yes the next thing I but buy will be one of those long bulbs that cover the whole tank....thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom