Moving to 40 - lights and feeding area Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I just used a basking light on one side. The 150w ZooMed ReptiBasking spot did the trick at about 19'' up. I used an adjustable lamp stand because temps change with seasons. In the winter I had a second adjustable stand with a dome and a 100w CHE at 25'' which kept the tank in the low 70s. I have a Solarmeter 6.5 which is great for measuring UVI.

76248-6015069620.jpg

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I might adjust the log so he isn't pointing at the light when basking. Since light travels straight out, you want to measure straight out from the bulbs hen checking distances.

It looks lie we are looking at the bulb end on. This explains the spread pattern from the axial view. It's sort of like a balloon and I've found the readings are very sensitive to the angle you hold the meter.
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubereflectortests.htm

This is a larger version of the side view illustration.

beardedlarry

Original Poster
Thank you both for posting those images; very helpful. He takes his first morning bask directly under the lamp on the platform, moving to the branch later in the morning. I assume he is self regulating his intake as he moves form place to place during the day..

Larry

beardedlarry

Original Poster
Temperature question. I am getting ambient of 89F 31C and surface of 98F 37C. When I read that temperatures should be 90-105, is that surface or ambient?

Thanks!

0vBOS2f.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When measuring for lighting adjustment I go by surface temperature using a temp gun along the basking sites and cool side floor. If you're getting 98 that's pretty good. You could bump it a few more degrees as long as you still have a good gradient across the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom