RAISING humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonses

We finally got our digital thermometers yesterday and we were first worried that they were having too much humidity becuase of the little dial ones they sell at the pet store (at night it read at 50%!), but now we realize that the humidity is only about 15%-20%, and they're about 6 weeks old and starting their first shed with us. We give them baths every night, but so far moss and spraying the tank have been temporary fixes. They're on repticarpet and have an inside mounted uvb at 10.0 and a basking temp of 100-104 during the day. There's a fake plant with thick leaves they're not interested in eating in one of the tanks, but actually that tank has the lower humidity.

Zeek

You can try keeping a large container (30+ ounces) of water in their tank, with a secure lid and holes punched in it (not large enough for any critters to crawl in). The real pain is keeping the humidity in. The larger the surface area of the top of the tank, the more it will just naturally blend with the room's humidity. You can also try lightly dampened towels draped over a portion of the top of the tank. Can you describe the actual type of container they are being kept in? That will help narrow the list of things you can do.

Dragonses

Original Poster
Zeek":10tkwe0i said:
You can try keeping a large container (30+ ounces) of water in their tank, with a secure lid and holes punched in it (not large enough for any critters to crawl in). The real pain is keeping the humidity in. The larger the surface area of the top of the tank, the more it will just naturally blend with the room's humidity. You can also try lightly dampened towels draped over a portion of the top of the tank. Can you describe the actual type of container they are being kept in? That will help narrow the list of things you can do.
it's a twenty gal long with a mesh top

Zeek

I would try the container of water, and cover a portion of the top of the tank with anything you have around the house (a piece of plastic, glass, or possibly cardboard). I would cover directly above the water. If you go this route, obviously keep a close eye so it doesn't get too high. I'm actually surprised it's not higher with the mesh on glass tank, moss, and spraying. Is there a spot in the room that naturally has more humidity? I had to move my dubia colony a few times before I found the best spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom