Enclosure Advice Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I'm a first time owner of a beardie and would like some advice on my enclosure setup and environment. The lamp fixture on the left has a Powersun Self Ballasted Mercury Vapor UVB Lamp 100 Watts, and the lamp fixture on the right has a Exo-Terra Daytime Heat Lamp 60W. The Enclosure i purchased is a National Geographic 40 Gal. Desert Reptile Tank. It came with a good-looking foam wall but I quickly noticed that the crickets were squeezing in between the glass and the back of the foam wall. I'm also currently using a gauge thermometer/hygrometer that came with my tank. I am thinking about getting an infrared thermometer tomorrow at Canadian Tire.

If anyone notices any changes that should be made out of past experiences I would greatly appreciate the advice! I have also noticed my beardie has been staying in its cave for unusually longer periods of time the past two days. Could it be because of my cat? Or could it be too hot in there? He's 8 inches long & weighs 29 grams, exact age is unknown. He's currently in my living room, i'm also wondering if the living room is too much of a busy room to put a newly born beardie?

IMG_20150524_210455306_zpsur9r1hqs.jpg

Gail

BD.org Addict
Its probably too warm, you don't need 2 heat lamps in cage that small. I would ditch the 60 watt and replace it with a florescent tube, not a UVB, just a plain tube to help brighten the tank.

You absolutely need a proper thermometer, a infrared would be great. Once you get the temps figured out, if he keeps hiding all the time, you can remove the cave. Maybe give him something else to climb on o the cool side.

The living room is the best place imo, dragons that are kept in a back room away from regular activity can become shy or fearful. Also at 8 inches, he isn't a newly hatched, more likely 2-3 months old.

joshmitchell

Original Poster
Awesome thank you i'll make that adjustment today. Could you tell me if he is a healthy weight based off is approx. age/ length? I feel like i'm not feeding him enough crickets but I usually put too many in his tank and end up having to remove a couple.

His regular diet consists of 10-20 crickets/day, 1-4 waxworms, a salad mix, and a small amount of dried mealworms crickets & pellets Fluker brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom