which mvb?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wanting to replace the coil uvb AND basking lamp with a MVB. My beardie is 6 inches and in a 20 gallon Long for right now. We will move up to 40 gallon breeder once he gets to 8 inches. Which mvb would be good for my size tank? the mvb would rest directly on the screen lid and hi basking spot is about 8 inches from that. Thank you in advance

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Most MVB needs to be 12-16" away an some still require a additional heat lamp. I've heard good things about megaray

britjoejack

Original Poster
Well could you recommend a good heat lamp? I think I have a zoomed one and the temp I a only getting to 88 on the hot side.. also, if I used a regular tube uv b would a household florescent bulb fixture work?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I use these for basking

A standard fixture will work as long as the wattage matches the bulb. A reflector is a really good idea for them to improve the output. The T5 bulbs are very nice but the fixtures do cost more.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
britjoejack":3mqpfiho said:
So that one should put off more heat than my 100w zoo med?
I'm guessing the zoomed is not a halogen? Halogens do put off more what per watt, I've had to use a 150W incandecent to get the same temps as a 50-60w halogen. But individual setups vary a lot sometimes it takes trial and error.

britjoejack

Original Poster
Taterbug":ahesd2z2 said:
britjoejack":ahesd2z2 said:
So that one should put off more heat than my 100w zoo med?
I'm guessing the zoomed is not a halogen? Halogens do put off more what per watt, I've had to use a 150W incandecent to get the same temps as a 50-60w halogen. But individual setups vary a lot sometimes it takes trial and error.

So this is what I've got...
80884-4959875261.jpg
80884-8089811373.jpg

It's 125w resting about 7 inches from basking spot. Judging by the chart I think this is a good distance, right? Only thing is, it kind of smells like burning plastic even though my dome can hold up to 150W... any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom