should I report neglect or not

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

should I report neglect or not

Postby caliskater » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:25 pm

so this starts off with my ex girlfriend, she told me she had a bearded dragon so i got excited now knowing we both have a passion for reptiles, but it turns out she was housing him on a counter top with a window (meaning it can be extremely cold) and he had no heat source (besides the sun) , and she said in july he started brumation, so this was red flags right away, but it turned out she haven’t fed him for 3 months and he didn’t poop and he was not in brumation, and he has mbd in his back legs and his front left leg, from her not giving him any calcium or uvb light, so i made her put him in a enclosure immediately, and after she put him in there for 2 hours he pooped BIGGER THAN HER PALM, meaning there was more poop in his stomach than the size of her palm for 3 months, so i made her give him his first bath in years, and he pooped again (and he poops greenish orange poop), then she told me what she was feeding him, his diet was meal worms, kale, and bananas with no vitamins or calcium, but fast forward to now (a month later) i broke up with her after finding out she had 3 other bearded dragons in the past 5 years and cared for them the exact same way and they all died, and she currently has a ball python that is aggressive (because she gives it no attention) and also has no heat, like she has no empathy for these animals and she doesn’t care about them either, she’s had 8 reptiles in the past 5 years and 2 are alive and i don’t know if i’m over reacting, but i believe she shouldn’t have pets, and i really want to report her, but if it’s nothing i definitely won’t
Last edited by caliskater on Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
caliskater
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: should I report neglect or not

Postby caliskater » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:28 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
caliskater
Newbie Poster

Postby caliskater » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:30 pm

the first 2 pictures are from before we met, and the second 2 are after, and as you can see she leaves the tank completely open to a cat, even when she walks away, and yes that’s a 20 gallon and still no uvb light even tho he has mbd (and his back legs stick straight out 24/7, but she doesn’t like it so she will bend his knees to however she likes them, and he has no strength in his legs so he can’t help that they stick out), and on top is her ball python with no light or heat matt
caliskater
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:45 pm

This is sad to see. Unfortunately there isn't really any legal protection for them (in the US anyway) and they are treated as property. The best thing to do for him is to provide advice and equipment if you can, or try to get her to surrender him to your care. Using a good MVB like a 100w PowerSun in that fixture under the cabinet would be helpful to provide some UVB for him. He may need calcium supplementation or a high calcium diet including things like black soldier fly larvae and collard/turnip greens. A larger space to be in might help him build some limb strength if he can move around more. Are you able to take over his care? I'd hate for you to take him in just for her to adopt another one and be cruel to it though.
CooperDragon

Postby caliskater » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:28 pm

i tried to get her to sell him to me, but she doesn’t believe anything is wrong with him, cause she’s had him for a couple years and she says he would be dead if she was improperly caring for him, it’s very frustrating cause he’s basically trapped in that 20 gallon with no calcium supplements (even tho she has the powder, she still says he doesn’t need it) and i have tried to explain to her that he is not doing good and she really argues that she knows he’s happy and she doesn’t want to take the “time” out to study them, and she doesn’t want to see me so i can’t help him out in any way, that’s the only reason i wanted to report her, but i’m not to educated on the laws and what’s considered animal abuse, or if you can even report someone for abusing a reptile, but thank you for your help 🙏
caliskater
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby AHBD » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:49 pm

I'm totally surprised that he looks so alert + healthy. His legs are not straight out in the last picture, does he walk alright ? The reason he's able to pass that large b.m [ which many dragons will do like that normally if it's been a while ] is because she feeds him kale, a very healthy staple green and the bananas , although not a good food item also helped .
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby caliskater » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:10 pm

he can barely walk, and when he does he drags his left side a little cause his front right arm is his strongest one, and she bends his knees if she sees him sticking them out cause she doesn’t like how it looks, but since he’s against the glass it does seem like he did that himself
caliskater
Newbie Poster

Postby Ozzyman » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:28 am

OH MY GOD THATS HORRIBLE!!! I would definetly report that, its so sad when someone does wrong to these little guys. That kinda thing makes me said.
Ozzyman
Newbie Poster

Postby loljelloclowdz » Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:40 pm

Welcome to like 75% of bearded dragon owners on the planet. My ex had a bearded dragon in a 20 gallon with filthy sand and no lights and he only ate mealworms. This bearded dragon lived for 9 years until a few years ago, but I didn’t know what they were doing was improper at the time because I wasn’t interested in keeping a beardie and thus didn’t do the research at the time. When I learned a year after though while caring for someone’s bearded dragon while they were on vacation (as this prompted me to conduct research on their care), I was really disgusted. I then did thorough bearded dragon research and was like “man, I could totally provide actual care for one, I want one now.” Mari has a 5 star salad every day, free roams but has her basking spots set up and within reasonable reach, I literally wipe her butt with toilet paper after she poops into my toilet, I give her massages, she sleeps in a fluffy bed designed for cats with a tortilla shaped blanket every night, and I even trim her nails and take her places in a TSA approved dog carrier. She even has a Swarovski circlet I made her (Swarovski sells cheap craft crystals that look genuine but only cost like $5 for a pack of 12 at any craft store, lol.) that I place on her head when she wants to feel like a Queen. She is the most spoiled lizard and idk if I should feel ashamed or happy that she’s so spoiled 😂.
Marijke - 50% red 50% yellow hypo het trans female w/ blue bars from Kids And Dragons
loljelloclowdz
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Off Topic