Backyard Microfarming in the covid-19 pandemic

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Re: Backyard Microfarming in the covid-19 pandemic

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Update on my shop bought fresh herbs cuttings , in water on kitchen window sill.

Spring Onion , has gone crazy , really likes it there ,almost big enough to take greens off to cook !
Root mass is pushing out of the little short bottle and really sucking up the water , so moved into taller bottle .

Lemon Thyme , I think there are roots starting to form.

Thai Basil , growing new leafs , can see any roots yet.

Oregano , new packet bought on Thursday .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:53 am

Added some new herb cuttings to my collection and planted some of my cuttings that have done nicely wrt producing new roots and leafs into seedraising mix in coir minipots.

Some of the new herb cuttings ( again from the grocery section at Woolworths fresh herbs isle ) were treated 2 ways as an experiment :
A) treated with liquid rooting hormone and straight into coir minipots in seed raising mix
B) as per before into water and onto the kitchen window sill.

Rosemary cuttings treated 2 ways

Savory Thyme cuttings treated 2 ways

Greek Basil cuttings in water ( came in a plastic bag complete with roots but the were very damages ( stems broken ) so too cuttings from the breast plants to propogate rather than trying to plant the whole separated plants.

Older cuttings , all but the leeks and lemon thyme are ready to plant.
The new leek cuttings are growing nicely in water
and

Lemon thyme cuttings are starting to grow little roots :
little roots can be seen

Thai Basil cuttings are growing roots profusely and have been planted in coir micropots in seed raising mix :

Origano cuttings are also growing roots profusely and have been planted in coir micropots in seed raising mix :

Spring onion (2x) is getting very big ( probably big enough to eat ) , have been planted in coir micropots in seed raising mix

Origano & spring onion cuttings in pots to grow some more

Found a little very friendly delicate rainbow skink about 3 inches long living in this seedraising tray under the older coir pots , was tempting to keep it but decided to take her ( a very fat little skink , full of eggs (?)) , tempted to keep her , but released her back outside in the little bed at the front of my patio ( nice spot for them with lot's of cover and good places to nest and hold up - gets nice amounts of sun in the afternoon ).
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:06 am

Seedlings are coming on well, been watering in morning and discovered the soil was bone dry by 4pm ( even in winter - we get very low humidity here in winter ( tropical influence , up north it's not called winter but "the dry season" )) , moving back to late afternoon watering , and making sure to give a good soaking while the air is do dry ) , else my delicate seedlings are likely to shrivel up and dry of thirst.

Rocket is growing like crazy, two lots if rosemary are starting to grow , English spinage, tri curl parsley , sweet basil, and red onions are going well.

Thyme seeds , Sage and baby carrots are growing nice , Italian parsley and mustard greens are starting to shoot, but nothing yet from the risdom and white Lisbon shallots.

Older seedlings

buk choy cuttings

Black mulberry sapling

Nasturtium seeds going great.

Older leek cuttings ( one still going ).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:40 am

The Woolworths Fresh Herbs green basil ( came as intact bunches of plants with roots ) , that I took cuttings from has had the leaves all wilt , so I used some scissors to take the leaves off , so they are just bare stems in water now .
Maybe it was too far gone when I received it ( was a bit droopy and limp ).

Maybe they will shoot and sprout roots , maybe they wont , I don't know right now , will be an interesting experiment seeing what happens .

According to this nice las , propogating basil from cuttings is super easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVjCh28QYsA
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 pm

Some issues.

Topped up water and will see if the leek that dried recovers. Not sure if I'll get anything from the wilted basil cuttings.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:57 am

A few days past midwinters' day , and snow fall on Mt Sugarloaf ( only 30 minutes away ) and on the Blue Mts and Barrington Tops overnight and only 6 degC here last night at 3am this morning . My wife reports the skinks are back ( was warm and still and sunny today ) and I have lots of new things happening .

I have pomegranate shoots !

I have mulberry shoots !

I think I finally have something happening with the sweet potatoes ?? I think I can see sweet potatoes sprouting roots and buds !

One lonely old leek cutting is still hanging in there and seems to be doing well.
One of the new leek cuttings on the kitchen window sill that dried out was cactus and has been consigned to the bin ( very stinky !! ).

My old buk choy cuttings are doing well.

Nasturtiums are growing like crazy

Herbs cuttings in seedraising mix :

new leaves

little white flowers

buds and flowers

Seedlings :

Time to thin and transplant ?
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Off Topic