Backyard Microfarming in the covid-19 pandemic

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Re: Backyard Microfarming in the covid-19 pandemic

Postby DragonPete » Tue May 26, 2020 7:25 am

Glad to see most are surviving the bad weather. 👍
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed May 27, 2020 1:38 am

Called it = old 7 yr old seeds were duds and sowed new herbs and greens in the "fallow" raising mix in the converted tubs .
Did find a many 4 or 5 tiny rosemary seedlings so left them in place and sowed new rosemary seeds around then and sprinkled a 3mm - 5mm deep topping of new seed raising mix over top , I think the little seedlings will simply push through this in a few days or so.

This is what's the tiny weeny rosemary seedlings looked like

Here what's now in the converted tubs now and two "new" converted bug tubs

Moved the nasturtium seedlings into a new seedraising tray , is now surrounded by new seed raising mini-coir pots
The shallots mini pots ( yeh , these ones are bit smaller than I expected cf the first batch of these coir tubs I bought through Amazon , but will do the job ).

Now have 2 different types of parsley seeds on the go , Italian and triple curl , and am having a 2nd try at thyme ( newer seeds this time ).
and some baby carrots too ( fresh carrots were sold out last weekly shop , mmm , maybe lots of people are making stews, casseroles, veg soups and carrot cakes with the cold snap or in bulk to freeze ( my mum used to make stews, casseroles, veg soups in batches of 5L and then froze meal size portions over winter )

Finally finished off the 1st 9kg bag of seed raising mix this afternoon , and opened that 2nd bag to fill the new coir pots and top up the old tubs.

So I've added today the following :

parsley - triple curl and italian
english spinach (wife loves it)
basil - sweet
rosemary , 2 lots ( sowed one lot before I discovered I had a few baby rosemary seedlings afterall from my old seeds )
rocket
red onion
shallots - red stem and white lisbon
mustard grns ( 2nd attempt , new batch of seeds this time )
thyme ( 2nd attempt , new batch of seeds this time )
sage
and a bunch of baby carrots seeds.

Was a very time consuming process as I only wanted to sow seeds that will germinate and grow over winter , that was the easy part ( my spreadsheet shows months to sow the seeds ) and then I had to fossick through the seed packs to find them . Took the better part of the afternoon.

So I've now got a quite a wide range of herbs and veg on the go.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun May 31, 2020 7:42 am

Less than ONE week on from sowing some new greens and vegs seeds :

That lonely rosemary seedling is pushing through , and the rocket is going crazily well.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/1tPgKRrr/IMG-0395-spring-onion-cuttings-going-great-31may2020.jpg
[/img]Spring onion cuttings are coming on nicely, and roots are growing nicely too.

Nasturtiums are just about ready to go into a big pot or a raised bed , next weekend maybe :) , is pouring down here right now.

The older seedlings today
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/cC0Q6MzZ/IMG-0387-prgress-on-older-greens-and-veg-31may2020.jpg
[/img]
Very old coriander and mustard greens seeds are looking more encouraging now ( took ages to show any green leaflings ).

Buk Choy cuttings are doing nicely.

Black mulberry seedling is still hanging in there despite being battered in a week of gales .

Still no slips showing on the sweet potatoes.
Never grown them before so have no idea how long they take to produce , how hard can it be ?

This is what I'm hoping to see going on in my sweet potato slip cultivation tray in a few months

Stole the idea from this guy ( who is a professional market gardener who grows sweet potatoes in commercial volumes so should know what he's talking about )
https://youtu.be/20QDjRDkaoM

This gardener says can take 3 to 4 months in water to get slips so since I'm only 1 months in , I just need to be patient with them and keep replacing the water every few days and keep an eye out for signs of them rotting
https://youtu.be/ueb-Fcuzc4U

Does and donts for growing sweet potatoes (all sorts)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueb-Fcuzc4U
https://youtu.be/P66aFpsz4Qs

This guy shows how easy it is with all sorts of shop bought veg and herbs to get seedlings from them
https://youtu.be/ZJuXpiEjdcc

This lovely young lady has some great tips too
https://youtu.be/xKKuI-RHcvk
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby DragonPete » Sun May 31, 2020 12:56 pm

I've never seen sweet potatoes started like that. Interesting. Sweet potato plants do make beautiful houseplants/vines.❤
Good to see all your little sprouts. 🤗
My porch plants that I had inside all winter and almost killed, are all doing beautifully. I'm thankful. My Wisteria that I thought died last year, has decided it's gonna grow! Yay! And my baby Gardenia bush has finally bloomed! I'm so happy!! 😃 I've had it a year, wasn't sure how it would do thru the winter. It's got 2 blooms and several buds. Only about 2.5 feet high, just a baby bush. 🤗 Roses are all doing well, have had their first bloom and working on the next. Have several bloom cycles up until well into November here. I am very happy with all the work I did last year, with exception of my attempt at veggies. My Lavender and Rosemary are both beautiful. 👍
I need to get some Marigold seeds out before it gets too late, to have some nice color around the front porch. They go really pretty with my purple mums. 😃
Glad everyone's gardens and plants are doing well. 👍
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:37 am

Snow on the Barrington Tops and on Mt Sugarloaf ( near Kurri Kurri ) last night and this morning !!!
Big news story on the TV , kiddies scraping up the fine powder and eating it or throwing it at each other. NOT COMMON here. Might get a few days a year when we have snow appearing within an easy drive of Newcastle / Lake Macquarie or on the Blue Mountains for Sydney.

Mt Sugarloaf's peak is only 24km away . Overnight minimum here was 4.5 degC.

I didn't venture outside or even poke a toe or my nose out a door , but my wife went outside to collect the mail and bring inside the new AirFryer Oven box that was delivered this morning and told me it was like ice and gales were freezing out there !! Got down to 12 degC today but the gales made it feel colder by several degrees .
Another very powerful Tasman low off the coast today ( Tuesday ) will be deeper and strong Wednesday ( entire NSW coast as far north as Port Macquarie) in Storm Force Gales zone and all beaches and ports are closed ( huge waves again ).

Hope my seedlings ( outside on the front patio ) survive this cold snap , don't expect an overnight frost , never seen one here , but it's a chance . Forecast is minimums as low as 6 degC at Nobbies Head overnight all this week ( I've been known to fish at the crack of dawn under these conditions ( chasing tailor and trevally and the winter run of spawning monster snapper ) and it's not pleasant , especially if there's a breeze and your hands are wet ).
They are selected for winter germination and a little bit of frost tolerance ( so it says on the their seed packets ).

My thermometer says 4.7 degC outside now .

Nice in here , 24 degC with aircon hardly turning over ( set to 25 degC , auto , economy mode ).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby DragonPete » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:05 am

Always amazes me how we have opposite seasons and temps. Will be 91F here for the next couple days, then high 80's for about a week. Not gonna get any cooler until October. 😰 Dreading the super hot humid summer.
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:59 pm

So much for the forecast. Was sunny , still and warm here til about 2pm. Clouds are now coming back and the breeze is picking up again now.

The low is now impacting the entire western coast of NZ.

Still big seas though
Wednesday 3 June

Hazardous Surf Warning
for:
Coffs Coast, Macquarie Coast, Hunter Coast, Sydney Coast, Illawarra Coast, Batemans Coast and Eden Coast

Thursday 4 June

Hazardous Surf Warning
for:
Byron Coast, Coffs Coast, Macquarie Coast, Hunter Coast, Illawarra Coast and Batemans Coast
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:54 pm

Yeah we had a few days of cooler weather and then today it was awful hot. Glad I got that shade cloth up on the one bed. A few of the onions in it are now growing really well. Same with my pepper plants.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:45 am

Green thumbs question

How big should the seedlings be when ready to transfer from the seedraising pots to the raised bed ?
IYO
Are my puk chois big enough yet ?

Are my cabbages big enough yet ?

Are my lettuces big enough yet ?

Are my chives big enough yet ?

Are my perpetual spinages big enough yet ?

Are my Spanish onions big enough yet ?

A plant I'm thinking of adding is a tree pumpkin like this
Don't have a handily locate she-oak , so I'll set up a 90 deg folded sheet of concrete reinforcing mesh between two removeable 100x100 f4 posts instead.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby DragonPete » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:12 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Green thumbs question

How big should the seedlings be when ready to transfer from the seedraising pots to the raised bed ?
IYO
Are my puk chois big enough yet ?

Are my cabbages big enough yet ?

Are my lettuces big enough yet ?

Are my chives big enough yet ?

Are my perpetual spinages big enough yet ?

Are my Spanish onions big enough yet ?

A plant I'm thinking of adding is a tree pumpkin like this
Don't have a handily locate she-oak , so I'll set up a 90 deg folded sheet of concrete reinforcing mesh between two removeable 100x100 f4 posts instead.

Whenever I plant, I usually plant directly into the ground or the pot it will stay in.
If I start seeds early, I use the biogradable peat pots so I can plant the whole thing and have much less, if any, transplant shock. I've always planted the seedlings, with peat pot, once they're 2-4 inch high. 4 inches is 10 cm I think?
Not just size to consider, but frost or freeze possibility. Usually mid April is our last chance for freeze. I have no idea about your weather patterns 'down under'.
Gotta check out that tree pumpkin. Never heard of such a thing! 😳
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:42 pm

Today's two new experiments = store bought "fresh" herbs in water.

Lemon Thyme , smells great !! , but lots of cuttings in packet are very short , so picked through for longer bits, not many are woody , snipped off bottom 5-10mm to get rid of bruised end and stripped most the leafs off .

Yes I saved these leaves , will use them in a crumb mix to make some crumbed veal schnitzels for diner tonight , will simply use instead of the usual dried herb , or on some those nice barramundi fillets we still have in the freezer .

Thai Basil , also smells great , longer bits to work with , noted these were either just flowered or due to flower when harvested, pinched off the flowering bit, took all but 2 - 3 leafs off and cut bottom 5-10mm off to get rid of bruised end.

Cuttings into a tall empty herb bottle in cooled boiled water ( I guess an empty oyster bottle would be OK too if we still had some , but been a long time since we had oysters ).

Yes saved the leaves and flowers, will go into a slow cooked casserole this week .

Cuttings into an empty finger lime caviar bottle in some cooled boiled water.

Hoping to see some roots forming from where the leaves were along the stems in a week or two.

Not as cheap as growing from seed, but likely a lot cheaper than buying seedlings , a packet of fresh herbs costs $2.

Tasted some of the fresh leafs I took off , very tasty and quite nice.
Whole house has a nice herby smell that's very pleasant now too.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:03 am

Moved the nasturtium seed tub to a more exposed spot , not transplanted yet , but they'll get less shelter sitting on top the spare 40cm diam selfwatering tub and wont be able to bash up the baby herb and veg and greens seedling in the breeze.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:06 am

The first batch of seeds (20Apr) now
Old mustard grns and dandelions ( wild gathered seeds ) finally sprouting ….Yah!!! :)

leeks cuttings x 3 , one looks really good.

Buk Choy cuttings are looking great.

Black mulberry sapling finally starting to shed leaves , heading into winter dormancy.

Wishful thinking maybe , but I think I can see a couple for tiny slips starting to bud . It's about time !

Gave the bigger bendy pomegranate a wee tug and it resisted , I think I have roots !!
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:47 am

The newer seeds are coming on amazingly . :) :)

Thyme , new mustard grns , and English spinage are coming on great.
Brunswich red onions, Italian parsley, Baby carrots are starting show some green shoots.
Nothing yet from sage, triple curl parsley, rosemary , white & red shallots, or sweet basil , but I can see little green specks ==> seeds are starting to germinate.

Rocket is going like a rocket !!!
Sweet basil , and two different types of rosemary are slow off the mark.

The two spring onions cuttings are growing great , especially one , it's growing so fast I can literally see it growing .
The thai basil cuttings are purking up nicely , can't see much of anything happening with the lemon thyme still looks alive ( not dropped the leaves ).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:35 am

Seedlings today

Leek cuttings
black mulberry sapling
nasturtium seedlings
buk choy cuttings
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic