Backyard Microfarming in the covid-19 pandemic

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Re: Backyard Microfarming in the covid-19 pandemic

Postby DragonPete » Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:50 am

Great cart! That should be very helpful. 👍 I need something similar but not as big. Had planned to spend the day working in my yard but it's been pouring rain and blowing winds since I got up. 😣
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:43 pm

Worth the investment to always get the best tools you can afford .
So rather than buying a regular wheel barrow with one wheel , I decided I wanted something much more stable and with a much bigger load capacity and the Gorilla trolley fit that bill.
I did consider using my landbased game fishing ( breakwater trolley , was made as a "foreign order" for me by the guys in the bar mill maintenance dept back in the day ) , but it's really just a converted aluminium security screen door with wheels so not too flash for carrying loose dirt.

Gone through my gardening books and my spread sheet is getting pretty big and detailed now , I'll be linking it with macros to my outlook calender to I get automatic reminders when things need to be done and to what.
It now tells me when to sow my seeds, how long to germination and other important details on growing my herbs, vegs, edible flowers, berries and fruits.

Extract of my spreadsheet , macros will be added linking to my outlook calender .
Turns out I have 20 plant varieties on hand at the moment who's seeds I can sow immediately.
It will grow as I add more details per species to ensure I capture each plants best growing conditions such as row spacing , plant spacing , soil pH , when to fertilize and with what , time to harvest, irrigation schedule ( drip on a timer ) , yield etc .

Also rescued the pomegranate cutting from the mailer tube it's been standing in for a few weeks and subdivided it into 7 cuttings , wood looks good, the bark is nice and green underneigh , all the leaves fell off ( saves me cutting me cutting them all off ). Nice coating of striking hormone powder on bottom end of cuttings and they are all in one of my 40cm selfwatering pots , the dead leaves on top to work as mulch.

Got enough cocofibre seed pots to fill 3 nursery seed raising trays ( each holds 35 little square shaped biodegradable pots) , I don't even have to remove the plant from these , simply goes straight in the ground and become mulch eventually ). Should work out nicely, but I will order in another of these biodegradable seed raising pots anyway.

I don't think I'll need it, but I do a Brunnings micro green house ( that I bought about 8 years ago ) that's never been taken out of it's box or assembled , so still in it's box somewhere in my garage too . Will see now I go without it first.
I think it's 4ft x 2ft x 6ft tall.

Will be looking around for a quote to supply and install a 3.3m to 4m L x 2.4m W gable roofed all colorbond steel garden shed to plant on my old level flat concrete slab that's at the back NE corner of my house ( will likely set me back $2k + $600 - $1000 assembly ).
Will have to sacrifice some planned off ground deck space ( but the deck wont be happening til the covid19 pandemic is stopped ( at least here in Australia )).

Will start planting seeds tomorrow.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:50 am

Bunch of autumn / winter seed varieties sowed , took a while , used almost an entire 9L bag of seedraising mix.
A lot the seeds were my old ones , so I sowed 4x more than I would have if new / fresh , to ensure good chance of germination, I can always thing out the seedlings if more germinate than I need , even sell some on Ebay / GumTree in I have enough and I can get them collected while not breeching my covid safety protocols.

Work done today :
Preparing to sow some seeds , convert a bug tub to a 750ml seedraising tub

Also noticed nursery (black) seedraising tubs don't have drain holes, so converted them to selfwatering seedraising tubs - 8 holes about 0.5 inch from bottom , this will stop the plastic tubs and coir pots from being forced to stand in water for long periods of time without drainage ( I guess nurseries do this when they connect lots of them together on a rack ).

Combination of coir pots and plastic tubs ( paper towels will stop soil from being lost , and will hold some moisture )

1sd seedraising setup

2nd seedraising setup

3rd seedraising setup

Seeds sowed no1

seeds sowed n02

seeds sowed no3

All deposited out of site in my front patio ,so they only get good sun for about 5 hr per day , but less likely to "walk" than they would if I had them on my garden seat-bench in my backyard where they'll get good sun for a couple extra hrs per day. I don't want to have to repeat today's exercise.

My consignment of earth worm bombs arrived today too. That's a job for tomorrow or the day after.
My big seed order is likely to arrive tomorrow = more seeds to sow.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:03 am

How much did all the worms cost? I thought about it, but I also have a bunch of worms in my yard, and read that eventually, worms will work their way up my beds and colonize it (since I put no weed barrier down)

If not, oh well. Since my beds settled a bit anyways, I was planning on just buy some high quality compost each year to add in extra nutrients that way.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:40 am

Claudiusx wrote:How much did all the worms cost? I thought about it, but I also have a bunch of worms in my yard, and read that eventually, worms will work their way up my beds and colonize it (since I put no weed barrier down)

If not, oh well. Since my beds settled a bit anyways, I was planning on just buy some high quality compost each year to add in extra nutrients that way.

-Brandon

Yes they will if there is no barrier ( ie plastic sheet, geotextile ), but it can take over a year to happen.

$37 per bomb including express parcel post from Queensland to NSW . Each bomb has 1000 worms in it.
Actually cheaper than buying fertilizers , the worms will create natural fertilizer as well as aerating soil and breaking up the very clay rich fill under the garden soil. One bomb per smaller bed , two per each bigger bed.
I don't want to have to use synthetic fertilisers , only ones I want to use are blood and bone. chook poo, composted household kitchen waste, and cow poo , or composted sea weed ( I can get as much of that as I want along the shores of Lake Macquarie , dead seagrass mostly ).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:59 am

Planted 3 offcuts ( rooty end ) from leeks today.

My big seed order has finally arrived from Queensland , some packets are very light in instructions so will have to do "research" to fill in my spreadsheet gaps.

Was Autumn and Winter variety , stirfry variety , kitchen herbs variety and a few extras.
No sign of the summer variety in the consignment ( comes later ).

Wife discovered a vegemite jar full of seed packets ( ziplocks ) in her b-n-ps drawer in the display cabinet from 2013 ( long since forgotten about by me ) when she was hunting down the meat thermometer .

Native Raspberry
alpine strawberry
fresca strawberry
mountain blueberry
panama red passionfruit
fingerlime
moris alba (white mulberry)
moris rubra ( red mulberry )
moris nigra ( black mulberry )
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:45 pm

Added an extra 500g of sweet potato to the weekly shot, aim , to use these to grow my own sweet potato plants and become self sufficient in sweet potatoes.

What am doing
I layed out 8 nice fat sweet potatoes in a seedraising tray ( 10"x20" black thing with no perforations ( but a convenient hole in one end about half depth <== perfect depth of water ).
Took each sweet potato layed on side and poked a tooth pick in top ( marks which way is up ).
Poked two more tooth picks to make side legs to stop sweet potato from rolling over.
Sweet potatoes in tray , filled with water up to the side "drain hole".

Combination of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SZ0d0aKGoE & I REALLY LIKE THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QDjRDkaoM by a guy called Kevin (who is prof farmer so know his stuff )
method I plan to follow when the slips go into ground https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705Cx-X_T-A

Out on the front patio with the other seed trays ( afternoon sunny spot ) , we don't get frosts here .

Now just a matter of time , replacing water daily or every other day. When I get sweet potato slips about 6" long break off the slips and plant these in a tray with pearlite in them ( pearlite stops algae and mould on the roots ) .

So that's bok choi , leeks and now sweet potato that I'm reproducing as well as some herb and veg seeds .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby DragonPete » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:17 am

Sweet potato makes a gorgeous house plant/vine. 😃 I've grown many in my life. My mom and grandmother always had them all over. The vines just grow and grow! Beautiful and cheap way to add some pretty plants to the house. 👍
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:12 pm

I have green !!!

Pak Choy seeds are starting to germinate.
Nasturtium seeds are starting to swell and turn green.

New leafs on the black mulberry seedling.

The Bok Choy cuttings are growing.

Zooming in close I can see baby leaf buds forming on some of the pomegranate cuttings.

My sweetpotato farm.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:56 pm

Perfect day today to wormbomb the beds, is overcast, still , cool ( 23 degC ) and very light soaking rain.

Turns out wormbombing is simplicity incarnate.
> take lid off the tub the worms are in
> optional make very small hole in middle of the bed about 1 - 2" deep
> tip out contents without disturbing worms on top of bare soil ( in above hole )
> throw sugar cane mulch or leaf mulch over to cover or some loose damp soil ( job for long handled hoe )
<<< LEAVE CONTENTS IN A PILE , DONT SPREAD OUT >>>
> keep moist for next for 4 - 8 weeks to allow worms to establish and start breeding.

Kept the now empty tubs, perfect for growing seedlings and germinating seeds in ( all I need to is add a drain hole or two each tub ).

Each bomb will colonise up to 25 sq-m soil in a typical depth of bed. The worms I could see were tiny little red guys about 10mm long. There are two species in each bomb = Gardeners' Friends and Indian Blues.

Next order of business is to order in 40 sq-m worth of sugar cane mulch ( 2x 18 sqm bails or 4x 10 sq.m bails ) to cover my beds before the rain goes away ( forecast for a cold wet period over next week here , winter is acoming ).
The worm farmer recommends mulch 5cm to 10cm deep.

The magpies were being pesty , following my wife around ( she got sick of waiting for me to deal with the boxed full of wormbombs and decided to deal with them herself ) , they were "talking" very excitedly to her ( they know when humans dig dirt it means they might get some easy bugs and worms ).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:54 am

Get a load of these :

Going great.
Herbs , got look really close, but I think I can see tiny green shoots there too.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri May 01, 2020 10:37 pm

Extremely powerful storm here over the last 2 days , hurricane force gales ( gusts over 100 km per hour ) and torrential rain .
My puk choy seedlongs have all been blown down , in the gales , despite being in a "sheltered" spot and protected by the brickwork surrounding the front patio.
Hoping they'll soon all be standing back up again in a day or two now the worst of the Antarctic / Southern Ocean blast has moved east ( and is giving the Kiwis a hammering now ).
Say goodbye to the warm weather for a now, winter has arrived.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon May 04, 2020 4:05 am

My pak choy seedlings are getting bigger , but suffered in the gales over the last few days .
The perpetual spinache , chives, nasturtiums, Spanish onions are doing nicely .

No sprouts on the sweet potatoes yet.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed May 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Update 21May2020.

Sweet potatoes
Taking their time to sprout any green buds , nearly a month now. Hoping they's start sprouting green buds soon , give them another month I guess.
Topping up the water each day ( there is a some drain holes in the sides of the planter try so they wont ever drown ).

Successful germinating regular & garlic chives, mustard greens, Spanish onions, perpetual spinage, garden salad lettuce, and golden acre cabbage doing fine .
The blown down puk choy seedlings have started standing back up again.
The nasturtiums have gone nutz !!

Will be transplanting the nasturtiums into a 40cm tub for over winter to give them a very good chance of becoming well established before replanting in a raised bed. ( likely next week , big blow on it's way here for the next few days , expecting torrential rain , mountainous seas , and hurricane force gales and very cold conditions ( an Antarctic Blast on it's way , already hit Tasmania and Victoria ( generated some tornados and damaged lots of homes ) , will get very stormy when the cold front hits the very warm waters in the Tasman Sea just off our coast .

Will be moving the delicate plants indoors tonight if the forecast is for gales here overnight or by am tomorrow.

Leek offcuts ( the rooted ends ) are not doing much of anything yet ( above the ground )
I don't want to pull them out to see if there are new roots or the roots have grown.
Guess I just need to cultivate some patience and give them another month ( they'll either rot away , to start growing ).

Still have leaves on the mulberry seedling , maple tree across the road has already started shedding leaves , so I guess the mulberry wont be far off going dormnant ( though it's growing new leaves indicates it likes the microclimate it's in and is still growing and active.

Buk choy cuttings are still alive and the leaves are noticeably getting bigger.

The two 40cm selfwater pots in the corner have nothing planted in them ( yet ) , mostly potting soil storage ( ATM ) , but will have seedlings in them next month.

Cant see anything happening with the coriander , cal poppies, rosemary, thyme, basil , collard greens, endive ( all these seeds several years old , maybe these weren't viable anymore , or maybe they need a few more weeks , been in the seed raising mix since 20April).
Think I'll give these seeds til about the end of the month, if nothing germinates , I'll make the call ( duds !! and set aside the converted tubs they are in and the seed raising try JIC they are just dormnant ).
No new buds yet on the pomegranate cuttings ( dormant ? ).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 am

Been gales here and torrential rain for 2 days .
Now just very heavy shows and still real windy ( deep Tasman Sea Low off coast just north of us now ).

So here are babies now :
Coriander finally sprouting , lettuce and cabbage seedlings.

Pak choi , chives ( regular and garlic ) coming on OK , nasturtium is going crazy.

Spanish onion and perpetual spinage are going well.

Mulberry is battered but still has leaves .

Bok choy cuttings are going great.

Did a chicken honey soy stirfry using some chicken breasts slices and chopped , so decided to do an experiment with some spring onion cuttings.
( That's a Finger Lime Caviar bottle ).

No sign of growth yet for my leek cuttings and sweet potatoes .

Think these are all duds :( … seeds stored too long .
Have new seeds of most of these so I'll simply add some extra seed sow fresh (new) seeds on top in the existing converted tubs , and add some more seed raising mix over top of the new seeds ( TOMORROW ).
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Tue May 26, 2020 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic