Share your Covid-19 Pandemic recipies.

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Re: Share your Covid-19 Pandemic recipies.

Postby CooperDragon » Sun May 31, 2020 1:31 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:I've also done this sometimes as a treat for myself .

Homemade potato crisps .

I just made these for lunch. Turned out very well but I wish I had a mandoline for better consistency. I topped them with some old bay to make crab chips - yum. Fried up some hot dogs to go along with it Rutt's Hut style.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:51 am

Neither my wife or I have ever eaten eggplant, but I've seen cooks and chefs on TV all rave over them . So decided last Woolworths home delivery order to get one to try.

So my wife looked up how to cook them and decided to try crumbed eggplant.

Cut the eggplant into segments about 1cm thick.
Lined the marinating tray with grease proof paper and covered liberally with salt.
Laid out all the segments of eggplant on the bed of salt and liberally covered with a lots of salt.
Let blanch for 30 minutes.

Made up an home made mix of Italian garlic herb with parmesan cheese flakes from packet plain bread crumbs + dried herbs + garlic powder + ground parmesan ( from the sprinkling jar ).

The washed the salt off the eggplant segments , and placed on absorbant paper towels to dry.

Melted 90g of butter in a pot.

Dipped eggplant segments in melted butter then placed on crumb mix and spooned crumbs over , patted to firm up.

In the fridge to set the butter crumb coating.

Into oven 200 degC for 30m to roast, turning once.

Had in leu or usual veg with a Tbone each.

Was YUMMY.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:04 am

Bought a new chefy kitchen toy on Friday online from Harvey Norman.

A Breville - BOV860BSS - the Smart Oven™ Air Fryer ,

Arrived today , boy do they pack these babies well , very tough and strong cardboard outer box , was very hard to cut away down the corners ( too strong to tear) to expose the pretty inner packing box , even with a box cutter ( Stanley knife ). Top marks to Breville on that.

Not out the pretty box yet , but will deal with making a space on the kitchen benchtops for it this week , likely in corner between the SS sink and the Smeg Induction bench top hotplates.

Bought because our 30 year old Chef wall oven's grill element has failed and my sparky tells me the element is no longer available, so my over no longer grills, but the oven works fine.

We are still self isolating, there are still covid19 cases in quarantine in my local council area and even a couple in ICU at the John Hunter, so will wont be breaking out to eat out any time soon even it the pubs and clubs and restraunts are reopening here and the limits have been lifted from 10 patron to 50 .

So if we want pizza , we will have to do our own.
If we want KFC style chicken pieces , see above.
Similar with Chinese fried meals .

And want to have fried foods every so often that are fried in healthier way ( airfrying rather than deep frying or oven frying , never been a fan of the results of microwave frying ) and this Breville Smart Oven does all sorts of things including air frying !

Not a cheap unit , I checked Choice and it came down to either a Cuisine Art unit or the Breville , the Philips air-frier is very junky as is the Tefal . The Breville is a little cheaper than the Cuisine Art but is bigger inside and does much more (fully automatically toboot!! ) .
Only places I found who had the Breville in stock were TheGoodGuys and HarveyNorman , BingLee were out of stock and Amazon wanted $80 more the exact same model !! (bugger them). Breville come with a 2 year warrantee , best the others offer is 12 months.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby DragonPete » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:54 am

Yum! I love eggplant but never had it made that way, sounds delicious. 😋
My son and DIL have an air fryer and an instant pot and swear by both of them!! Son loves the instant pot especially. Says he can make 'fall of the bone' bbq ribs in like 30 mins! Of course, like everything else they own, it's all computerized and controlled by their smart phones. Lol! 😆
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:12 pm

First home made loaf of crusty white bread baked this afternoon. Smelt wonderful while baking in the machine.

Looking forward to eating some of it Saturday at lunchtime .

This is the loaf

Again , Laucke Bakery self bake bread mixes . These people seem to really have breadmaking down to a fine art.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:33 pm

New kitchen toy …. a milk shake smoothy making machine ( old school style )

, remember those old milk bars we all loved and hung out in as kids and teenagers in the 60s and 70s , and have essentially disappeared now …. kinda like the venues in "Happy Days" , we had one at the bottom end of my street call JIM'S Milk Bar and they did great thick shakes , milkshakes, smoovies and burgers and stake and snag sandwiches , and there was a great one new the old "Singing Bridge" at Hexham call the OAK Milk Bar who did dozens of different types of milk shakes, thickshakes, smoovies and more flavours of ice-cream than you'd think possible (all to order).

Got lots of recipies to try , some I've never heard off before that looks very tasty .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:48 am

finished off the homemade white crusty bread loaf , doesn't keep as soft and "fresh" as long as the home made multigrain bread loaf does , but was very nice toasted with peanut butter on it while hot.
Was lovely with Danish fetta cheese crumbled on the warm toast . I LOVE this "new" type of cheese almost as much as I like Bega Tasty block and Masterfoods Cheddar block and French Onion dip.

First go at making homemade loaf of golden brioche bread . yet another Laucke Flower Mill product.
Smelt fabulous while baking , had all the skinks and the dragons awake and interested this afternoon and tasting the air.

Here's the loaf straight out of my breadmaking machine after cooling for 30 minutes

My understanding is this French type of bread is more cake like than our usual breads here , but we've never had it before so looking forward to trying some at lunchtime tomorrow. If it's like cake I think I'll have blackberry or strawberry jam on my sandwiches.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:09 am

This is the place that makes these artesan bread and pastry and cake mixes
https://www.laucke.com.au/our-products

So far we've done
> the Multigrain bread loaf in various sizes , love this one , still a bit of mix left
> the thick crust white bread loaf , is nice , but I think we need to use more yeast next time and maybe more water ( to make it fluffier and more moist )
> golden brioche bread loaf ( today for first time ) , nicest smelling so far and looks great.

I want to try their sour dough mix next but it must be very nice as it's always sold out at Woolworths and at Coles , and so popular Laucke have stopped taking online orders for shipping direct to homes ( can't keep up with the demand ).

Update : golden brioche bread loaf was lovely soft bread and crust ( almost cake like )
is a new fav bread.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:18 am

Broke in the new Breville Smart Oven Airfiyer tonight, fits nicely in the corner near the induction benchtop hotplates .
Yes , I put some GladBake paper ontop the crumb tray , this will protect it , and yes I put the baking tray under the airfrying tray to collect droplets of oil and crumbs ( protecting the lower element ).
PS I did the wall tiles myself when we upgraded to an new Knebel Kitchen in 1994 , even the builder couldn't fault my tiling , super level and smooth , reckoned his pro-tilers couldn't do a better job.
We love our Smeg Induction benchtop hotplates , and the quartz benchtops replaced the old laminated MDF benchtops and the old Chef Ceramic top hotplates.

So we cheffed up our food today.
Brioche bread loaf was baked yesterday (in the bread making machine , smelt beautiful while cooking ! ) , cut to make sandwiches at lunch , very yummy and soft ( like cake ) with jam on the sandwiches . Diner airfried beer battered wedges + sweet potato fries and oven baked barramundi fillets with fresh lemon thyme sprinkled over it ( wrapped in foil ) ,,,,, yummo !!!

Can't wait to try some home made KFC style chicken pieces sometime soon , airfried . I still prefer my chips deep fried in the kambrooke 4L in sunflower oil but this is definitely healthier. Sue wants to try a family sized chicken leek cheddar cheese & whitewine pie in the Smart Oven using shortcrust base and shop bought puff on top.

Sorry but if we make food as good as this at home , why would we ever want to go out to eat ?
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:07 am

First family size pie in the Breville Smart Oven AirFrier ( done in Bake Mode ).

A 9.5" deep dish creamy chicken + leek + white wine ( an excuse to have a glass "as taste test" :) ) + cheddar with frozen shortcrust pastry base & frozen puff pasty topping .

Ready come out to rest prior to quartering and eating.

And after being "attacked" by my wife to serve quarters to us.

The recipy :

Double chicken breast
2 large carrots
tin of Heinz Very Special Creamy Chicken soup
½ C white wine
2 leeks
butter about 80g
DairyFarmers Cheddar cheese, grated , about 3 GENEROUS handfuls
sheet of frozen shortcrust pastry
sheet of frozen puff pastry

Process :
prep

> thaw one sheet of shortcrust pasty on a dry tea towel on the kitchen table .
> use a pastry brush to coat the inside of the pie dish .
> blind bake shortcrust base 15min, then take out beans and another 10min (180degC (BAKE MODE) , or Chef Wall oven 180 degC FF ).
I use ceramic baking beads on top some GladBake paper to keep the base down, I also use a fork to prick the base to make sure any steam created in blindbaking escapes.

Leeks

Cut up 2 fresh leeks taking the roots off + 1cm and pick the upper cut where the leek is starting to go hard (will be a little way above where the leeks start going green), take outer layer off. Slice leeks about 3-5 mm thick slices. ( I run the pairing knife down one side so the cut is to the middle of the leek and long the length before slicing , makes the leek segments fall apart in pot when sweating down and caramelizing .)

Carrots

Peel out skin and the cut carrots into segments slices about 5mm thick , I then cut these in half .

Double skinless chicken breast ( no bones )

Cut chicken breasts into 1 cm or so chunks.

Making pie fill process on Smeg Induction Cooktop in large double handled SS ScanPan .

> Leeks into a large soup pot with butter and sweat it down with butter low heatuntil leeks soften (low to med heat = used #5 setting )- if they start browning, don't worry too much - will add that nice sweet caromelised taste), sturing w/ wooden spoon..

> Add chicken and carrots to the leeks , up heat setting to med (# 6) and cook the chicken sturring regularly to mix the chicken and leeks and carrots and get all the chicken to start looking cooked.

> Add contents of a can of Heinz VERY SPECIAL Country Chicken Soup and ½ C dry white wine to the partly cooked mix and continue cooking, reducing the soup/wine liquid , careful not to catch the chicken / leeks on the bottom (about 30 mins) maybe a bit longer, just need to reduce the alcohol and liquid to make a stewy fill.

> Grate about 3 very generous handfuls of Cheddar cheese (or your choice of tasty cheddar cheese - don't be mean with cheese, more will be better !!). … about a 1/2 a 500g block .
Gate the cheese then you are ready to transfer fil to base so it stays nice and soft .
( We ate the rest if the block of cheese with some Clix crackers + rest of bottle of white wine as chef's nibbles when the lid has gone on the pie and it's baking )

> Take puff pastry sheet out and let thaw on a dry tea towel on the kitchen table while grating cheese.

> Mix grated cheese with the hot chicken, soup, wine, leeks, carrots mix and stur through just before ladeling fill into to pie base, do no over fill.

> then use a pastry brush to milk the upper edge of the exposed pie base ( this is your glue ).

> when the puff sheet has softened , use a very sharp pointed knife to cut slits in pastry sheet while flat and "dry" , these allow steam to escape and any surplus liquids to dribble out .

> add puff pastry top and press down to make seal with fork. Careful the puff pasty when damp is fragile and easy to tear.

> Place pie dish on baking sheet ( Chef Wall oven ) baking pan ( Breville Smart Oven Airfryer) << not just on a rack >> in oven at (190 degC FF for 45 – 60 min Chef wall oven settings , in Smart Oven 190degC for 60min a little too much / long / hot, try 180degC for 60min next time ),

> enough left over to do some single serve potpies next day.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:52 am

Left over fill
> single serve pot pies
or
> single serve size pies
or
> puff turnovers
Will show results tomorrow.

You ask , what did I do with bottoms of the leeks ?
I've saved these, they are going to be propogated ( regrown ), I've got them in a couple of empty fingerlime caviar bottle in water on kitchen window sill to start them off before putting in dirt with the older leek cuttings.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby BenjiBoy » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:51 am

I really enjoy cooking and baking:) I’m not an adult yet, but I really enjoy creating my own recipes to make for my family :).
Here’s one of my favorites:
Chicken breasts with Parmesan topping:
4 boneless chicken breasts
1/4 cup of pesto
3/4 cups of bread crumbs- I’ve also used crushed up crackers😂 it’s good both ways haha.
1/2 a cup of Parmesan cheese
1/4 mozzarella cheese
1/4 teaspoon of both garlic and onion powder
3 tablespoons of lemon juice
4 tablespoons of butter

Heat up your oven to 425 degrees ( f ). Cut two pockets about half way into the chicken breasts. Mix one tablespoon of your lemon juice and the pesto together, and put it into the pockets in the chicken breasts.
Mix the left over pesto with the remaining two table spoons of lemon juice, the Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, the breadcrumbs. Cover the chicken breasts completely with the breadcrumb mixture and put salt and pepper on top. Put 1 tablespoon of butter onto each of the chicken breasts and put in the oven on an oven safe dish for about 20 minutes.

I also have a super amazing monkey bread recipe if anyone’s interested 😁❤️
BenjiBoy
Hatchling Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:57 am

Baked up an storm this afternoon.

Another home made large crusty white bread loaf in the Breadmaking Machine.

And used the left over creamy chicken breast + leeks + cheddar cheese + white wine fill to make pot pies for 2 using single serve size ramingtons .

Procedure : Pot Pies in Ramekins

Thawed one sheet of puff pastry on sheet of Gladbake .
When thawed I use a single pie dish as the template to cut disks from the puff sheet ( about 1" wider in diameter than the pie dish , cut a x shaped air vent in the middle of each .

Sprayed the interior if the two ramekins with Canola Spray to stop fill from sticking ( less messy than using margarine and pastry brush ).

Laddled the cold fill into the ramekins ( turned out perfect amounts for two ).

Placed puff disk on top each filled ramekin ( and rusticly folded the surplus puff hanging over edge into the ramekin and pressed to top of inside , scraps of puff added to make the effect a little more rustic ( waste nothing ).

Filled ramekins into Smart Oven Airfrier set to bake mode ( 180 degC for 1hr ) on a rack over some gladbake in the roasting pan .

Let sit for 15mins when baked and lifted lid off the pot pie to access piping hot fill and eat lid more easily . YUMM !! Actually nicer done as pot pies than as family sized pies IMO.

Actually nicer done as pot pies than as family sized pies IMO.
Certainly less bother :
>no need to line the pie plate with pastry base
>no need to blind bake the base
>no need to glue the pie top to the pie base with milk or milk & egg.
>is quicker.

There was left over corners on the puff sheet - made use of them to make 2 strawberry jam puffs

Process
Cut the two small squares from the left the remaining puff after disks above are removed .
Cut the these in half .
Place on a piece of gladbake .
Spoon some strawberry jam ontop on half place the other ontop and press down edges.
Place on pizza dish on rack in baking pan while Smart Oven AirFrier when at temperature 180 degC bake mode.

Bake for 10 mins , the flip over the puff to let heat and air at bottoms , bake for another 5 min.
Take out and slip into a small plate , disappear , careful !! very hot jam in middle. Nice crunch and flaky , and also yummy.
( Seen exact same sold in cake shops for $2 each AND THESE WEREN'T FRESH BAKED OR WARM and mine had more jam in the middle ! ).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:42 am

Tried another bread mix = Laucke stoneground rustic white bread mix (2.4kg bag) , and the bread is lovely and soft , even 3 days after being baked

My wife got adventurous and made some white raisin bread yesterday ( from scratch , no premixed bread-mix this time ) :

Only real concession we made was to buy some high quality Lighthouse bread and pizza plain flour.
Menu from the EU version of the Breadmakers' Manual , the Australian version has nearly 1/2 the menus edited out …. as I discovered when I went looking for raisin bread recipies , pretty miffed about that ( only reason they'd do this is to increase profit by saving a few dollars per unit by reducing the manual thickness by about 1/2 ).

We used Menu 3

Was very soft and sweet , like a sweet raisin cake with a crust .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:37 am

Looks like a second wave of covid19 has started in Melbourne So we'll be hold up at home and socially isolating here for a bit longer , so more home cooking to come.
My nephew is starting to sound more serious about the microfarming project as off Saturday. He sees the writing on the wall I think.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic