Share your Covid-19 Pandemic recipies.

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Re: Share your Covid-19 Pandemic recipies.

Postby CooperDragon » Fri May 08, 2020 12:02 pm

It is salty and savory. I sometimes put it on toast with butter. Just a very tiny bit scraped to a very thin layer across the toast then add a bit of butter. I can sometimes find either Vegemite (Australia) or Marmite (UK) at the local grocery store. My favorite use so far is those potatoes.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat May 09, 2020 12:02 am

The electric carving knife is a bit awkward to use , safety button and on/off switch need to be pressed both the same time.
Took a minute or so to work it out. Wish the on-off switch slid and stayed at on or off , then all that's needed is to press the safety button. But it's spring loaded and default is off ( guess to stop kiddies from being able to use it , if you had arthritic hands / fingers , it would be very hard to use ).

The electric carver made cutting the super soft super fresh bread a breeze, and even managed to cut slices about the same thickness as shopbought sliced bread. Trick is just gently rest the blade on the bread and slow lower the knife avoiding compressing the bread.

Think a very good gadget to have.
Will be fabulous at carving roast lamb , pork , beef , turkey rolls and chicken rolls, and leg hams.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Thu May 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Last week I made home made hamburger buns for the burgers I was bbqing. It was a recipie I found on youtube so I decided to try it. They came out amazing! Seriously, so easy and you will never want to eat store bought buns again!

I make it in the breadmachine.

120g warm milk
2 room temperature eggs
1 Tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. butter
350g flour
1 1/2 Tsp. yeast

Put it in your bread machine, and select the dough cycle.
Once it's done, I divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll them up into smooth balls, and then flatten them a bit. They won't hold their shape too well (kind of springy) but put them on your baking tray and let them rise for 15-30 minutes. They will widen out and rise. I don't let them rise too long, I did 30-45 minutes the first time, and they just rose too big. 15 minutes seemed perfect for me to get them to raise into appropriately sized buns.

Pop them in the oven at 350f for 15-20 minutes and Viola!
Move them to a wire rack to cool for a bit and be prepared to enjoy the best buns you've ever had!

I also grilled onions and corn on the cob for this meal. The wife hates onions, but once she tried these grilled onions on her burger, she told me she's never letting me buy store bought buns again, and she's never eating another burger that doesn't have grilled onions on it! A major hit i'd say ha.

Picture after rising for 15 minutes
[Click image to enlarge]

Out of the oven (ps I know thats only 5, these are pics from the first time I made them last week. 6 is how many you want to get from your loaf.)
[Click image to enlarge]

On the dinner plate!
[Click image to enlarge]

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Claudiusx wrote:Last week I made home made hamburger buns for the burgers I was bbqing. It was a recipie I found on youtube so I decided to try it. They came out amazing! Seriously, so easy and you will never want to eat store bought buns again!

I make it in the breadmachine.

120g warm milk
2 room temperature eggs
1 Tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. butter
350g flour
1 1/2 Tsp. yeast

Put it in your bread machine, and select the dough cycle.
Once it's done, I divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll them up into smooth balls, and then flatten them a bit. They won't hold their shape too well (kind of springy) but put them on your baking tray and let them rise for 15-30 minutes. They will widen out and rise. I don't let them rise too long, I did 30-45 minutes the first time, and they just rose too big. 15 minutes seemed perfect for me to get them to raise into appropriately sized buns.

Pop them in the oven at 350f for 15-20 minutes and Viola!
Move them to a wire rack to cool for a bit and be prepared to enjoy the best buns you've ever had!

I also grilled onions and corn on the cob for this meal. The wife hates onions, but once she tried these grilled onions on her burger, she told me she's never letting me buy store bought buns again, and she's never eating another burger that doesn't have grilled onions on it! A major hit i'd say ha.

Picture after rising for 15 minutes
[Click image to enlarge]

Out of the oven (ps I know thats only 5, these are pics from the first time I made them last week. 6 is how many you want to get from your loaf.)
[Click image to enlarge]

On the dinner plate!
[Click image to enlarge]

-Brandon

By golly !! those burgers look yummy !!

Which bread machine did you end up buying ? We're very impressed with our Panasonic ZB2512 and we're making a loaf every 4 days .
Found if we make the multigrain loaf as a large size , the last day ( 5th day ), the bread is starting to go stale ( still OK for toasting ), so we've gone back to medium size loafs that last us 3 to 4 days depending on how thick I slice it.

My wife is talking about making a fruit cake in the bread making machine on the weekend ( there's a program for that ).

Are those home made potato fries ?
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Fri May 22, 2020 4:23 am

Yeah wow those look great. I'll have to give them a try. Maybe a good fit for this weekend. I don't have a bread machine but I'm sure a dough hook on the Kitchenaid mixer will do the trick. I'll try a sourdough version and report back.
CooperDragon

Postby DragonPete » Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 am

Y'all making me want to bake. 😊
@Brandon -The buns look great. Yum! 😋 If you decide they gotta be picture perfect, you can buy metal bun rings or use tuna cans that you take both ends off and grease well. I never cared but used tuna cans when I made sourdough sandwich rolls as gifts one Christmas.
@CD - sourdough makes great onion sandwich buns. I've made them before with caramelized onion and good enough to eat out of hand with butter! Don't need no burger! Lol I think I got the recipe from King Arthur Flour website. 😊
@KON - I've never had fruit cake made in a bread machine, love to know how that turns out.👍 Bread machines have come a long way. I don't have one or a stand mixer like kitchen aid. All manual. 😉 But I'm considering it just because it doesn't heat the house up in summer, like a big oven, as far as I know.

Stay Calm and Bake On!
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Fri May 22, 2020 7:29 am

Oh, I've had this bread maker for a few years now, but just recently dusted it back off in the past few months.

It's the Cuisinart CBK-100. All I remember was it had good reviews on amazon at the time, so I bought it. Been very happy with it. I usually let it do the baking in the machine too, but lately since all i've been making is french bread and hamburger buns, I've been using the dough setting.

Eh, no they are not home made fries :oops: Honestly I've tried making them in the past, and they just don't turn out as good as the store bought ones. Or I haven't put enough effort into them yet. I like skinny fries as opposed to fat steak fries. But it might be the next thing to try since everything else was scratch made.

And pro tip, last week we used white onion on the bbq for burgers. They were great. I typically like yellow sweet onions better though in other recipes, so yesterday when I was grilling, I did both white and yellow sweet onion. DO NOT GRILL SWEET ONION!!
The taste was absolutely horrible. I actually spit it out. I'm just glad I tried it before putting it on our burgers, and I'm glad I experimented with it and also had the white onion as backup which I knew would be good.
All I can figure is all the extra sugar in the sweet onions just burns on the grill. Super horrible bitter disgusting taste..
If you're going to grill onions for your burger, white onion is the way to go.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby Claudiusx » Fri May 22, 2020 7:32 am

CooperDragon wrote:I don't have a bread machine but I'm sure a dough hook on the Kitchenaid mixer will do the trick.

I'm sure it will, just make sure after mixing with the dough hook, you let it rest/rise for half hour to an hour. In my bread machine it mixes and kneads, and then it warms it to let it rise. The whole process in my machine takes almost an hour and a half. Still, pretty quick for a bread recipie as I can typically have finished buns 2 hours after starting.

The sourdough buns sound interesting! Let us know how it goes. I haven't been brave enough to start sourdough. It used to be all I ate. We have San Luis Sourdough right in our backyard basically, so it's easy pickin's to get that from the store ha.

Good Tip Dee. I kind of like them like this anyways though because I don't make my patties perfect either haha!
In the video they recommend doing an egg wash on the top of the bun before baking to give it a nice golden brown color. I didn't do that, and I think they still turned out very good.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby DragonPete » Fri May 22, 2020 7:34 am

Claudiusx wrote:Oh, I've had this bread maker for a few years now, but just recently dusted it back off in the past few months.

It's the Cuisinart CBK-100. All I remember was it had good reviews on amazon at the time, so I bought it. Been very happy with it. I usually let it do the baking in the machine too, but lately since all i've been making is french bread and hamburger buns, I've been using the dough setting.

Eh, no they are not home made fries :oops: Honestly I've tried making them in the past, and they just don't turn out as good as the store bought ones. Or I haven't put enough effort into them yet. I like skinny fries as opposed to fat steak fries. But it might be the next thing to try since everything else was scratch made.

And pro tip, last week we used white onion on the bbq for burgers. They were great. I typically like yellow sweet onions better though in other recipes, so yesterday when I was grilling, I did both white and yellow sweet onion. DO NOT GRILL SWEET ONION!!
The taste was absolutely horrible. I actually spit it out. I'm just glad I tried it before putting it on our burgers, and I'm glad I experimented with it and also had the white onion as backup which I knew would be good.
All I can figure is all the extra sugar in the sweet onions just burns on the grill. Super horrible bitter disgusting taste..
If you're going to grill onions for your burger, white onion is the way to go.

-Brandon

Great tip! I never even considered the difference and usually only buy yellow sweet like Vidalia.
Thanks!!
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby DragonPete » Fri May 22, 2020 7:49 am

Claudiusx wrote:
CooperDragon wrote:I don't have a bread machine but I'm sure a dough hook on the Kitchenaid mixer will do the trick.

I'm sure it will, just make sure after mixing with the dough hook, you let it rest/rise for half hour to an hour. In my bread machine it mixes and kneads, and then it warms it to let it rise. The whole process in my machine takes almost an hour and a half. Still, pretty quick for a bread recipie as I can typically have finished buns 2 hours after starting.

The sourdough buns sound interesting! Let us know how it goes. I haven't been brave enough to start sourdough. It used to be all I ate. We have San Luis Sourdough right in our backyard basically, so it's easy pickin's to get that from the store ha.

Good Tip Dee. I kind of like them like this anyways though because I don't make my patties perfect either haha!
In the video they recommend doing an egg wash on the top of the bun before baking to give it a nice golden brown color. I didn't do that, and I think they still turned out very good.

-Brandon

Hon, I'm perfectly happy with hand formed buns. 👍 I went to that trouble cause I made 12 buns, 4 each of onion, sesame seed and poppy seed for a few friends at the apt bldg where I lived as Christmas gifts. 12 buns per gift, wrapped in 4 buns each, so they could freeze a couple sets if need be. I heard it didn't 'need be'. Lol! They were eaten in matter of 3-4 days. 😆 Nothing better than fresh bread. 😋 I'd weigh 500# if I lived near a sourdough bakery! Lol that's all I baked for years. The older your sourdough starter the better the bread IMHO.
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 pm

Home made potato chips / French fries .

I've done this quite a lot , and it produces great potato chips ( betted than I can get from the local "chippy" ( shop the does fish and chips , burgers , steak and sausage sandwiches )

INGREDIENTS
Oil, for deep-frying ( Sunflower Oil is my preference , I'd use peanut oil if could get it .)
1 large potato per person ( some varieties of potato work better than others ).
Table salt or celeriac salt for sprinkling

METHOD
Take a large saucepan and fill it no higher than one-third full of oil.
( I have a Kambrook 4L Stainless Steel Deep Fryer ( perfect temperature control and no chance over heating , I simply dial up the temperature I need and when the LED indicates , it's good to go and all I need do time it ).

Using a large chopping knife, cut your potatoes no thicker than 1 cm (1/2 in) and soak them in cold water.
This will keep them from browning and will rinse off some of the starch. Remove your potatoes from the water and pat dry-this is very important as you do not want to throw water into your hot oil.

Heat your oil to about 160 ºC and start to blanch your fries - 2 to 3 minutes.

Do not overcrowd your pan as you will make the temperature of the oil drop and your fries will not cook correctly. A chip dropped in it should float to the surface and bubble excitedly.
Cook until chips are soft and flexible - but not browned.

After cooking, carefully lift out your fries and drain on paper towel. This stage can be done in advance,. procedure may be done anything up to six hours before the chips are needed.(In fact even 1 day before; of course they are better when you cook them straight away (I've done this up to 7 days before needed and frozen then thawed as needed , usually at Xmas, NY, AusDay, Easter and BD parties).

Five minutes before serving bring the oil temperature up to 185ºC . A chip dropped in it should float to the surface more excitedly than before.

Quickly cook half the cooled chips until they’re a beautiful golden brown. A couple of minutes is all they should require.

When you are ready to serve your fries, bring your oil up to 185 ºC (350 ºF) and carefully lower in your fries in batches and cook for 4 minutes ( DEPENDS on how cold the chips are and how thick they are ( I like my chips about 10mm thick ) , or until golden and crispy.

Be careful not to overcook the fries as they really are at their best when crunchy on the outside and fluffy in the middle. Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri May 22, 2020 10:35 pm

I've also done this sometimes as a treat for myself .

Homemade potato crisps .

Ingredients:
• 6 or more medium lg. potatoes
• Oil or fat for deep frying ( I use Sunflower Oil )
• Salt

Preparation:
Wash and peel the potatoes. Slice very thin. ( I use a mandaline ,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At02GJDnVUs
VERY CAREFULLY )

An old fashioned cabbage slicer can be used (careful of the fingers)

I've also used food processor with a thin slicing blade , is very quick if you want super thin crisps.

Put the slices at once into a bowl of cold water and let stand for at least one hour.

Ice water is best, but you can set the whole bowl in the refrigerator if you wish.

Dry well by shaking them in a towel.

Fry in hot oil at 185 ºC (350 ºF) until a light golden brown.

Don't try frying too many at once, better to put one layer on the frying basket.

Drain on paper towels or any kind of plain crumpled absorbent paper.

If you haven't any paper, use a worn dish towel. Salt lightly.

These can be kept for some time if they are sealed into plastic bags or containers
after they have cooled.

Sprinkle with your choice of popcorn flavouring powder while "cooling) as soon as you get them out to cool.
My favs are
salt & vinegar
cheezy bacon
sweet chilly
sour cream & chives
chicken salt
cheese & onion
Spanish BBQ
French onion
come in 120g and 200g bags and they go a long way and last a long time.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby DragonPete » Sat May 23, 2020 6:56 am

Yup! The key to the best home made French fries are soaking in very cold water, drying well and cooking twice!! Very good advice! 👍 Makes the yummiest fries ever! Tender inside and golden crispy outside. Yum! 😋
You would be amazed at how many people don't know this. Can't figure out why their fries are limp. Shoot! I was probably in my 30's before I read it in a cook book. 😳
Now ya got me looking at my bag of spuds. 😉
Happy weekend to all! ❤

-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Sun May 31, 2020 7:15 am

I'm gonna try making a really simple granola recipe today. All it's going to be is oats, oil, honey, salt, and maybe a bit of cinnamon. If it's any good I'll share the recipe haha.

We avoid nuts in our household, (i'm allergic, daughter might be) so you'd be hard pressed to find a granola at the store that doesn't contain nuts or is processed in a facility that also processes nuts. So if this turns out good, will be a nice treat for us all.

I had some strawberry nonfat plain greek yogurt the other day with fresh blueberries I sprinkled on top, and the only thing I could think of is how amazing that all would taste with some nice granola mixed in. A parfait basically. Who doesn't like parfaits?

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby DragonPete » Sun May 31, 2020 12:37 pm

Claudiusx wrote:I'm gonna try making a really simple granola recipe today. All it's going to be is oats, oil, honey, salt, and maybe a bit of cinnamon. If it's any good I'll share the recipe haha.

We avoid nuts in our household, (i'm allergic, daughter might be) so you'd be hard pressed to find a granola at the store that doesn't contain nuts or is processed in a facility that also processes nuts. So if this turns out good, will be a nice treat for us all.

I had some strawberry nonfat plain greek yogurt the other day with fresh blueberries I sprinkled on top, and the only thing I could think of is how amazing that all would taste with some nice granola mixed in. A parfait basically. Who doesn't like parfaits?

-Brandon

Let us know how the recipe goes. 🤞
Yogurt, fruit and granola? Yum! One of my faves. I also do a lot of yogurt smoothies in the summer. Nothing better after working in the yard. I use frozen and fresh fruit in mine so I use no ice that's weakens the flavor. 👍 I keep several bags of frozen fruit in the freezer and buy yogurt by the case. Lol! It's almost a daily thing for me in summer. It's almost that time..... 😉
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic