Share your Covid-19 Pandemic recipies.

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Share your Covid-19 Pandemic recipies.

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:46 pm

With so many people being told to self-isolate , being told to go into inhome compulsory quarantine , the problems lots of us are having finding staples on the supermarket shelves and in supermarket refrigerated meats areas ( because of panic buying by some ) , and with lots of people finding they no longer have work , lots will be doing it tough .

Time for a little community help from those who can cook to help those are not so good in the kitchen.

I guess meals that can be made in the home from whatnots and leftovers and cheaper cuts in family sized lots and in bulk for freezing or gifting to those who worse off than you should be the focus.

I'll start off with one my favourates
Chicken white wine leek pie 9inch + 2 chicken turn overs OR two 9 inch pies with 1st completely full and 2nd ¾ full of fill (6mm from top) rather than completely full of fill.

Double chicken breast
2 large carrots
tin of Heinz Very Special chicken soup
½ C white wine (can use 3/4 C)
2 leeks
butter about 80g
Kraft Cheddar cheese, grated , about 2 handfuls (3 handfuls is better).
sheet of frozen shortcrust pastry
sheet of frozen puff pastry

prep

blind bake shortcrust base 15min, then take out beans and another 5-10min (180C FF).

Cut up 2 fresh leeks taking the roots off + 1cm and pick the upper cut where the leek is starting to go hard (will be a little way above where the leeks start going green, take outer layer off. Slice leeks about 3-5 mm thick slices.

Cut carrots into half (lengthwise) and then slices about 5mm thick.

Leeks into a large soup dish with butter and sweat it down with butter low heat until leeks soften (low to med heat - if they start browning, don't worry too much - will add that nice sweet caromelised taste), sturing w/ wooden spoon, then take off heat.

Cut chicken breasts into 1 cm or so chunks.

Add chicken and carrots to the leeks and place back on med heat and cook the chicken sturring regularly to mix the chicken and leeks and carrots and get all the chicken to start looking cooked.

Add contents of a can of Heinz VERY SPECIAL Country Chicken Soup and ½ C (maybe a wee bit more) dry white wine to the partly cooked mix and continue cooking, reducing the soup/wine liquid , careful not to catch the chicken / leeks on the bottom (about 10 –15min maybe a bit longer, just need to reduce the alcohol and liquid to make a stewy fill).

Grate about 2 handfuls of Kraft Cheddar cheese (r\or your choice of tasty cheddar cheese - don't be mean with cheese, more will be better !!).

Mix with the hot chicken, soup, wine, leeks, carrots mix and stur through just before ladeling fill into to pie base, do no over fill.

The Xcess fill can be used to make two single serve turnovers, too 4" mini pies (? maybe 3) or perhaps another 9" pie.

Milk the edge of the base pastry and add puff pastry top and press down to make seal with fork. Cut slit in top, careful the puff pasty when damp is fragile and easy to tear.

Place on baking tray on top baking paper in over at 190 C FF for 45 – 60 min.

Rest for 10min prior to carving and serving. 4 serves ( or 2 serves per pie if you only have pie)..

NOTES:
this will product 1x VERY FULL 9inch pie + 2x chicken packets or 1x VERY FULL 9inch pie + 1x 3/4 full 9inch pie
or 2x 9inch pies.

If making packets, thaw 2 sheets of your choice of shortbread or puff pasty on dinner plates (with nonstick oven bake paper under the pastry.
Ladle sufficient Xcess fill into the centre of each pastry and then milk the outsides and fold over the corners to make a packet and gently press edges to make a good seal.
Cook for 15min per side to brown the patry 180C FF.
Set aside to cool if eating later.
Else cook for 20-25min per side and stand for 10min prior to serving.

If making pies to set aside for later (not frozen), cook pies for 30min 180-190C FF.
Reheating 30min 180-190C FF (will brown the top more and bring core to 77C), stand for 10min pie to carving.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Share your Covid-19 Pandemic recipies.

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:53 pm

Beef n red wine w/garlic n Onion gravy pies
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours (oven) , more if using a crockpot to braise the beef and cook the red wine-garlic-onion-beef stock gravy.
I use both short crust pastry and puff pastry for this recipe. The reason is, that puff pastry is not structured enough to hold the meat filling, but I just can’t go past the delicious crispy golden crunch of a puff pastry top.

1 kg roasting beef (I use topside), cut into 3cm cubes , leave fat on.
1/3 cup plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
¼ cup canola oil into big soup pot
2 brown onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves garlic, crushed (I like lots of garlic)
1 cup beef stock
1 cup red wine
2 -3 sheets puff pastry and of shortcrust pasty if doing single small pies , 2 sheets each if doing 2 x 9” pies, plus a little milk for brushing
Pastry (homemade optional)
1¾ cups plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
125g cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat oven to 140° C/120° C (fan forced) to slow cook braize beef in oven
Prepare pie fill
Combine flour, salt and pepper together in soup dish.
Add cubed beef a few at a time (tip – make sure the beef is damp from raw beef juices – helps the seasoned flower stick), coat the beef pieces lightly with seasoned flower as needed , don’t let it stand long as the meat juices will be soaked up by the flower), ensure that all the beef has been coated evenly before placing into the hot oil – to brown (not cook)..
Heat 1 canola oil in a large, heavy based casserole dish, such as an enamel Chasseur pot.
Add several pieces of cubed beef and cook 3-4 minutes until browned but not cooked through.
Remove from pot and repeat with remaining oil and beef.
Reduce to medium heat, and add the onion and garlic.
Stir in beef stock and wine, cover with lid and cook in oven for 1 ½ hours.
OPTION – transfer the fried onion and garlic red wine and stock mixture to a crock pot (prepped by spraying internal surface of the big ceramic crockpot with canola oil based non-stick spray) , add the browned beef cubes to the crock pot, lid on, cook overnight on LOW setting – 8 to 12 hours, if sturring every couple hours (optional) , adding a dash more beef stock (unlikely to be needed) if the lid lets too much moisture to escape.
Very slow cooking at low heat will produce super tender beef and wont heat the whole house up.
The meat should be tender and falling apart (can be easily teased apart with a couple of forks).
Blind bake the shortcrust pasty based in the oven (FF at 180deg C for 20min – 30min using baking beefs to hold the baking base down.
If time is short
- transfer the now cooked beef within a large slotted ladel to the food processor with most of solids (onion) and pulse for 10 seconds or so to produce a oniony beef mince , then transfer the process mixture to the casserole dish
- Return the pot with remaining sauce to the cook top and bring to the boil. Cook until the sauce has reduced to a thick and intense gravy. This could take 15 minutes.
- Then mix well with the liquids therein to make a beautifully moist pie fill.
- Ladel the pie fill into the pie bases and level them off when they are about ¼” from top of pastry base
- Milk the bases’ rims and add the puff pasty lids (pre cut these so they have slots to allow steam out) and gently press the periphery of the lids to make good contact with the shortcrust bases and to seal the pies, trim surplus overhanging puff pastry and set aside (wrapped in gladwrap for later – can use make chef’s treats).
OR If you have time
- remove the beef from the pot and tease most of the cooked beef pieces apart using a couple of forks
- the remaining beef can be food processed as above with the onion solids
- mix the shredded beef with the beefy – oniony mince and the gravy.
- Add the fill to the pie bases as above.

Cook pies for about 30 mins (if setting aside and freezing for later) or 50 – 60mins if eating immediately.
Let pie stand for 10 minutes prior to cutting portions to serve.
Reheat left over pie – place casserole lid over pie to keep it moist – FF 180 deg C or until internal temp > 60 deg C (about 30 minutes)
Serve with French fries or your choice of hot vegetable.
One 9” pie will feed 4 to 6 people.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Making pastry - optional
In the meantime, make the pastry by placing the flour, salt and butter into the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture has a fine crumb consistency. Add the egg and process again in short bursts until the mixture just starts to come together.
Turn out onto a work surface, and gather the dough together. Press out to a thick disc, wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next step is crucial; using a large slotted spoon, remove the meat from the sauce and put into a large bowl.
While the gravy is boiling, process the meat with the food processor to make a tasty mince. Ladle enough of the gravy into the meat to make a thick, lovely mixture. It should not be too liquid or the pie will be sloppy. Allow to cool completely.
Can leave some chunks if the beef is TENDER.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Small single pies OPTIONAL
Increase the oven to 180° C/ 160° C (fan forced) and grease 6 pie plates with cooking spray.
Roll out rested dough between two sheets of non-stick baking paper, until 3mm thick. Cut out 6 circles of pastry 1cm larger that the pie dishes. Line each dish with the pastry and spoon the cooled meat mixture into the pastry. Brush edges with milk.
Cut the puff pastry to fit over the top of the pie dish and press gently around the edge with a fork to attach the puff pastry to the pastry underneath. Trim off any excess pastry from around the edges. With a small knife, make some holes in to top of the pastry to vent steam, and brush with a little milk or egg wash.
Place pies onto a large baking tray and bake for 35 minutes or until the pastry on top is puffed and golden and the pastry underneath cooked through. Serve with peas on the side, or a green salad in the warmer months. Plus plenty of tomato sauce!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Notes
Instead of teasing the browned brazed beef chunks apart – put them in the food processor and pulse it to create a mince.
LEFTOVER MINCE - The reduced gravy and fine mince left over is delicious and will be on warmed on toast or in turn overs….. each turnover was a nice single serve.
Leftover gravy + mince in two special flakey pasty rolls, one sheet of flakey pastry each. (Cooked 35min at 180C FF, until pastry is starting to brown all over, cool).
Reheat rolls 180C FF 15min (should read 65-70C in middle).
Above makes a very deep well filled a 9” pie + 2 large rolls
Or 2 x 9” pies
Or 6 – 8 small single pies.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:12 am

People often ask if my mother taught me to cook. My mother had maybe 3 things she could cook/bake well. Other than that, she was terrible. I learned stuff on my own at college, living in various communes/group homes, from cookbooks & TV, and by experimentation. One book was on the theory of candy making, but I digress... :roll:

I have a few recipes... sort of. I guess they're more like basic ideas; the kind of things that are good, but I never make exactly the same way twice. I've gotten a rep for being able to go through someone's kitchen (someone who thinks they haven't got anything to make a meal of) and finding stuff to come up with something tasty--sometimes even a feast. (See anecdote below)

One of my "secrets" (which isn't a secret at all) is making extensive use of the spice chart inside the covers of the Betty Crocker Cookbook. Mine looks like this, but there have been many other covers over the years.
I don't pay much attention to the recipes anymore (though many are the core "ideas" I mentioned above) but that spice chart is indispensable. If you haven't got a copy of the book, you can probably find a readable image of the chart on google. :wink:

Caveat: Never use more than 3 herbs/spices in any recipe (unless specifically called for). More than 3 tends to be overkill and detrimental.

All generalizations are false, including this one.

Another non-secret "secret" is an understanding of base ingredients, e.g. meat/poultry, cheese, eggs, pasta, vegetables, etc. and how different foods/flavors go together, either complimenting each other, or clashing. :bleick: This can be learned/figured out if one thinks about it. What's worked in some dish you've had will probably (not always) work in another. The above basic foods can be combined (e.g. casseroles), but again, best limited to no more than 3 if you're inexperienced.

An example of several of the above: Pizza Eggs. Most people make a face when they hear this. Pizza and eggs? :shock: But it works, usually for breakfast, but we've made dinners out of it as well.
It came about while visiting friends in the country who thought they had no food in the house, and the market was 20+ miles away. Going through their kitchen, I found several pizza toppings, oregano & basil, but no ingredients for crust. They did, however, have a chicken coop. :D I chopped up the toppings (cheese, black olives, mushrooms, pepperoni), mixed them into scrambled eggs, adding the herbs. DO NOT use tomatoes/tomato sauce. A little garlic or onion is ok, but go very easy--an egg base is much more delicate than a tomato/bread base, and the eggs are part of the flavor. They didn't have mozzarella, but they did have some pepper cheese that worked out fine.

Final Caveat: KISS. More ingredients isn't always better, and can really mess up a dish. Stick to what you know (works), and experiment slowly and in increments from there.
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby DragonPete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:35 am

@KON both those recipes sound yummy. 😋 A little wine makes any dish seem special. Lots of flavor boost. 👍
@MS you have my fave cookbook! Although mine is in pieces. Lol! 😆 Its been my goto for over 40 yrs.
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby MrSpectrum » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:44 pm

DragonPete wrote:@MS you have my fave cookbook! Although mine is in pieces. Lol! 😆 Its been my goto for over 40 yrs.

Likewise, likewise, and likewise. Good solid recipes with ingredients found in most larders or easily available w/o a kid stocking the shelves asking, "What's that?" :lol: Every kid should get one as a HS graduation or first apt. housewarming gift. :wink:

Who can you trust if not a completely made up marketing gimmick? :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Crocker
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby DragonPete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:57 pm

MrSpectrum wrote:
DragonPete wrote:@MS you have my fave cookbook! Although mine is in pieces. Lol! 😆 Its been my goto for over 40 yrs.

Likewise, likewise, and likewise. Good solid recipes with ingredients found in most larders or easily available w/o a kid stocking the shelves asking, "What's that?" :lol: Every kid should get one as a HS graduation or first apt. housewarming gift. :wink:

Who can you trust if not a completely made up marketing gimmick? :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betty_Crocker

Absolutely agree! I have collected cookbooks all my life. Sold over 300 when I moved. My Betty has always been the goto. Easy and standard with no 'hard to find ingredients'. Never made a recipe from it that I didnt like. The extra info is great! Spices and herbs, what goes with what, substitutes etc. Still my fave cookbook. I do a turkey pot pie with celery seed crust every Thanksgiving with leftovers. Been using those recipes for over 40 yrs. Never fails to get inhaled! 😆 Son says the ONLY reason for turkey, is my pot pie. 👍 Thanks Betty! 😊
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Soups are generally pretty easy to make and very versatile. I tend to sub whatever I have in the pantry or fridge at a given time. Heat up a dutch oven or other large pot on low heat to get started.

Prep some base veges (2-3). Using the Trinity (onion, celery, bell pepper) is a classic but you can tweak it. I often sub jalapenos, shallots, carrot, leeks, broccoli stems, etc. Anything that needs a little time to soften and cook. Chop 2-3 of these items up and put them in a bowl.

Prep a stock. You can do this the old fashioned way by boiling down chicken or beef bones or veg scraps. This will give the best flavor but take a ton of time. I usually keep Better Than Bouillon on hand because it's quick and easy and tastes fine. Depending on how much soup you want to make, prep about 2-3 cups of this in a sauce pan. Set aside.

You can use a lot of different things for the main ingredient. Cube up some winter squash, chop up some chicken, add a couple of cans of beans, broccoli crowns and cheese - whatever you have on hand will do. Prep these ingredients and set aside.

Chop up some garlic and put it in a small bowl and add some spices. Again, do whatever you prefer here. Salt and pepper are the basics but you can add some pepper flakes, cayenne/chili, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, curry, etc. Add a little, taste, add more if you want it.

-----
Once the prep is done and your dutch oven is warm, bump the temps up to medium high and add some fat. I like using ghee or butter, but you can go with whatever kind of oil you have on hand. Add a couple of Tbsp and move it around to get it heated up. Add in the base veges you chopped up earlier and maybe a little salt & pepper. Toss that around in the oil and heat it up for maybe 3-5 minutes until the veges are soft and starting to cook well. Keep stirring now and then so they don't burn.

Once the veges are softened up, add the garlic and the spices. Stir these in for 30 seconds or so until they heat up and get fragrant. Then stir in the main ingredient(s) whatever you decided those to be. Add the stock and cover it up. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to simmer for at least 10 minutes or so. I usually take this time to clean up and do some dishes. Once everything is cooked, you can use an immersion blender to smooth it all out, and maybe add some cream or similar depending on what type of soup you want. Or just serve it up as a chunky broth with some bread.

This is a good way to use up any leftovers you have on hand and you can use the same general method for pretty much any kind of soup. Bonus points for making some cast iron baked bread or cornbread for the side.
CooperDragon

Postby DragonPete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:17 pm

Soup is always my fave in cool weather. Love my stick blender! ❤
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby DragonPete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:58 pm

In hot weather, I do a lot of cold pasta salads instead of hot foods.
Pick a pasta, ie elbows, shells, twists, whatever.
Add a protein, ie tuna, salmon, leftover chicken, canned ham, etc.
Add some crunchy veggies, ie diced onion, celery, pickles sweet or dill, sliced olives, broccoli florets, whatever.
Add something wet for a sauce, ie bottled salad dressings like Italian, ranch. Plain mayo or miracle whip if you're inclined.
Mix everything up, season to taste and let everything chill a couple hours. Always great to have a bowl full in the fridge on a hot day. I like various crackers or rolls with it. I like doing 1 pot or 1 bowl type meals. Less dishes. Plus use up some leftovers.
Here's my basic tuna mac salad.
7 - 8 oz of pasta shells or elbows, cooked and rinsed with cold water, drain. Add 2 cans of tuna, drained, whatever kind you like. Add diced onion, celery and sweet pickle relish, sliced black olives. Mix with enough mayo to have a thin coating on everything. Don't drown your salad. 😆 salt and pepper. You can add a touch of lemon pepper if you like. Some chopped parsley. Chopped hard boiled egg. Or whatever works for you. This is good, not too unhealthy and cheap. Everything I want in a meal! Lol! 😆
Plenty of options for this. For Italian pasta salad, add some ham, pepperoni, mozzarella, broccoli florets, sliced olives, with Italian dressing, basil or oregano, to some pasta twists. Use your imagination, you know what you like. It's a non recipe recipe! 😆 Easy peasy!
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:06 pm

Pasta salad is great for hot weather. Here is the one I usually prep.

2 - 9oz packages frozen artichoke hearts (the whole canned hearts from Trader Joes are great too)
8-10 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1/2c chopped parsley
1/2c olive oil (add more as necessary)
Juice from 2 lemons and (grate and add zest as well)
freshly ground black pepper to taste
salt to taste
2 small red bell peppers small diced
1lb bowtie pasta

In a small non-aluminum bowl combine artichoke hearts with garlic, red pepper, parsley, olive oil, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow to stand at room temperature overnight.

Cook the bowtie pasta, drain, toss with a little olive oil, and let it stand until lukewarm. Place pasta into a large mixing bowl and add the mixture created the previous day. Add salt and olive oil as needed. Stir well and serve at room temp.
CooperDragon

Postby DragonPete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:09 pm

Oh yum! Love pasta salads! We're on the same page. I just do a non recipe recipe, depends on what's available.
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby DragonPete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:07 pm

This is funny! 😆 y'all have these wonderful yummy sounding recipes that actually require effort. 👍
Me? Yeah, throw in some of this, a little of that, some of those and you're good! LMAO!! 😆 That's me! Sitting here laughing at myself. 😆
I've reached a time in my life where I very rarely cook, maybe once or twice a month and then it's usually something I can freeze like pasta sauce or chili etc. So I have it when I want some. Summer is cold stuff, like pasta salad, fruit salads, yogurt and fruit smoothies. Closest I get to cooking in summer is pulling out the panini press and making fat sandwiches or occassionaly cooking on the grill. 😆 I eat a lot of mixed green salads with chicken or ham, some fruit and nuts with a raspberry vinegarette. It's so hot here, the last thing I want is hot food. 98% of what I eat in summer is cold.
I just had to tell y'all that this just struck me funny! 😆
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Gormagon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:51 pm

I have a 2 fold approach to this.

Ain't nothing better than a good pot of Navy Beans and Ham Chunks w/Cornbread, Onions, and Jalapeno Peppers. This will stick to your ribs and, provide a 15' shield (uncrossable barrier) around you when you are shopping (add a six pack of bud and, you can clear the entire store), LOL!!!
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

Postby DragonPete » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:55 pm

Gormagon wrote:I have a 2 fold approach to this.

Ain't nothing better than a good pot of Navy Beans and Ham Chunks w/Cornbread, Onions, and Jalapeno Peppers. This will stick to your ribs and, provide a 15' shield (uncrossable barrier) around you when you are shopping (add a six pack of bud and, you can clear the entire store), LOL!!!

If you're gonna do it right, grab a couple pickled eggs to go with the menu. You can clear a city block! 😆
-Dee
DragonPete
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Gormagon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:26 pm

DragonPete wrote:
Gormagon wrote:I have a 2 fold approach to this.

If you're gonna do it right, grab a couple pickled eggs to go with the menu. You can clear a city block! 😆
-Dee

Na, a couple of beers and some pickled eggs will do another trip........ You have to pace yourself during times like this, lmao!!!
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Extreme Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Off Topic