Another dangerous fire day , this time we were effected

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Another dangerous fire day , this time we were effected

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:55 am

Another day of 40 degC plus temperatures and very strong dry winds all day.

Bushfire up the hill about 1km away about knockoff time , caused ember attack and bushfires and grass fires and yes house fires in my street just now, wife and I have been outside drenching the front lawn, the leaf litter on the paths and driveway and between the big bed and our house and on our roof and in our backyard and along the boundary fences.

Very fortuitous that I had a major yard clean up just before the Xmas holidays and had a huge amount of accumulated leaf litter and accumulated twigs removed from off my roof , and had my shrubs and tree trimmed .

Was little spot fire under the fence on the my south nutty neighbour's side between our driveway and the fence, put out very fast with buckets by neighbours on other side.

All the houses on the other side of my street back into an area of remnant bush (buffer between the ByPass and our street).
At one stage every home on the other side of our street had fire attacking their back fences and back yards / gardens and sheds , and the police were door knocking and ordering people out of their homes .
One of our friend's homes was set on fire by an ember in her roof gutters, and three straight across the road from us lost back fences , a car , a boat , a caravan and each lost their garages and garden sheds.

Not out the woods yet , fire engines , police , emergency services , bushfire brigade and firebombing skycranes are still working in my local bushfire. Is still out of control .

No lightning , so it's very likely this was lit by a local firebug or maybe some fool tossed a lit butt out a car or bus window .
The other fire nearby is at the top end of near the main road that skirts Glenrock State Conservation Area near Burwood Rd at Dudley near Flaggy Creek and Yuelarbah to Fernleigh walking trail about 5km away and down wind. So no embers from that are getting to us.

Update : 5 hours later , cops , ambulances , fire trucks and bushfire brigades are still in the area.

And now I can hear thunder in the distance … there's wind change coming .
And a severe / dangerous storm warning is current but we look like we'll miss the worst of it ( heading for Wyong ),
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 9:55 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on the weather radar near Calga and Wollombi. These thunderstorms are moving towards the east. They are forecast to affect Gosford, Wyong, Belmont and Cessnock by 10:25 pm and Newcastle City, Charlestown and Wallsend by 10:55 pm.

Damaging winds are likely. Brief bursts of heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in prone areas are possible.

we'll get the northern edge ( some of have a tornado form if there's any circulation in the storm ).

Bucketing down now , didn't last long though ( 5mins ) ,didn't make much difference temperature wize , 11pm and it's still 35 degC outside.

. 10:30pm and the little 3 yr old girl next door is all wound up and excited …. good luck getting her to sleep tonight.

And some sad news : https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-23/ ... a/11894892
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Another dangerous fire day , this time we were effected

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:58 am

One of the neighbours who lives across the road was taken away in an ambulance , word is she had a heart attack , and is now in the ER at the JHH.

3am and I see an orange glow in the direction of the Burwood Rd fire , and just checked , it's still uncontrolled and listed as watch and act.

If it's got into the normally damp remnant rain forest in the gullies at Glenrock State Conservation Area , it's all very steep, densely wooded and next to impossible for the fire trucks and bush fire brigade to get near , and if it gets to the other side the nursing home where my mum spent her last days will be in danger .

I hope they are evacuating the old folks who live there as there is only one road in that goes along the crest of ridge that has very steep slopes into the north side of Glenrock State Conservation Area and the fire will literally go up the sides of the Merewether Ridge faster than you can run .

The local bushfire appears to out (last fire truck left the street about 2am) , at least it's no longer listed as a danger.

Amount land burnt and burning in my general area ( Sydney to Port Stephens and inland a similar distance )

So far it's been Annus horribilis in Australia weather wize :
Bush fires from Brisbane to Adelaide and in SW of WA, huge dust storms, extreme drought ( many towns have run out of water entirely and are trucking it in ), extreme heatwaves ( breaking climate records in temperatures reached ), tornados ( mega hail storms and mini-cyclones is the term used here ) , what's next ?
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby claudiusx » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:12 am

Dang. It's a good thing you were proactive and had the forethought to do some tinder clearing before all this started happening.

I saw this morning the news about the downed tanker. 3 American firefighters were on it I think.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:18 am

claudiusx wrote:Dang. It's a good thing you were proactive and had the forethought to do some tinder clearing before all this started happening.

I saw this morning the news about the downed tanker. 3 American firefighters were on it I think.

-Brandon

Yep , went down in a very remote and inaccessible area too.

Tragic that they died in such a way , not even fighting to protect their own homes.
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby claudiusx » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:22 am

Agreed. But they still die heros and I'm sure everyone who passed in that wreck will be remembered as such.

Makes it even worse to think there are people out there going and setting fires and literally being responsible for the deaths and displacements of people.
Even of its accidentally by throwing out a cig like you mentioned.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
claudiusx

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:21 pm

I'm glad to hear you and your property are safe. Too close for comfort on that one, scary stuff! Hopefully the rain will soak everything well enough to keep it from flaring up again. You guys really can't catch a break this year =/ I also heard about the C130 this morning. It was all over our news because of the US firefighters on board. Sad stuff.
CooperDragon

Postby AHBD » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:56 pm

I really feel for you going through this horrific disaster, it's in the news here every day and is heart breaking. I can't imagine how all you Aussies feel watching this go on , the human deaths. people losing everything and the land scarred and hundreds of millions of animals losing their lives. I hope you + your family stay safe !!
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:35 am

Burwood Rd fire still out of control.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Burwood Rd fire near Glenrock Lagoon and Flaggy Creek is still burning , but marked "under control".

New bushfire at Raymond Terrace not far from where my grandson lives with his mum , stepdad and step siblings , about 500m from their place.
It's eucalypt and acacia ( wattle ) and tea tree woodland there and very in the lower areas (local water storage) it's currently dry mashlands.
And it's jumped the Pacific H/way now.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:13 am

Glenlock fire finally out.

Extreme heat wave and strong dry winds / gales expected for next 3 days.

Canberra ( Orroral State Forest & Clear Range Fires) , and Gippsland ( Cape Conran) areas have major file desasters unfolding as I type this. Cape Conran is at emergency level.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:05 pm

Any sign of rain?
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 pm

Had a bit of rain last week ( remnant of the tropical cyclone ) . Some areas even had flash floods .
http://www.bom.gov.au/jsp/awap/rain/ind ... k&area=nat

4pm , 42 degC ( another local temperature set for my location ) .
Also hazy , breezy , very low humidity , UVI = 14.

Was hotter earlier . Nice inside ( 26 degC ) .

Nearest bushfires are at Fernances Crossing ( near Cessnock ) , Black Oaks ( at the South End of the Myall Lakes ), Spring Gully ( Near Denman ) and on the other side of the lake at Wangi . None closer than an hours drive.

The fires just south of Canberra are out of control and a emergency warning status , as are the fires near Bega at Glen Allen & at Timbillica .
The fire at Cape Conran ( near the mouth of the Snowy River and eastern end of "The Lakes" ) in the Gippsland is still out of control.
There have been some "mini-cyclones" , very violent storms in Victoria today too.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:53 am

Large areas of Victoria copped a caning from extremely severe "mini-cyclones" today, lots of trees down, even main transmission lines from Victoria to SA bright down.

1am and 30 degC outside ( very steamy , feels like 36 degC according to ABC News ), expecting 40 PLUS again tomorrow.

Lot of people here don't have aircon in their homes ( or if they do , it's undersized , and they are too scared of electricity bill shock to run it all night or 24/7 ) , and try to make by with ceiling fans and opened windows and front and back doors overnight. Not much help if the humidity is up over 70%.

Popped outside just now to try to spot the gecko I can hear churping . Could see where it is but didn't stay outside with my miners' headlamp long . Left some freshly disabled ( heads' squished ) BSFs for it / them.

Feels very tropical I was soon covered in sweat and mozzies so retreated back indoors where the aircon is keeping us comfy).
Trouble with heat and rain, and king tides ( last week there were king tides as well as lots of rain and minor flooding in the wetlands / mashlands , a week later the mozzies show up.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby MrSpectrum » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:34 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:Popped outside just now to try to spot the gecko I can hear churping . Could see where it is but didn't stay outside with my miners' headlamp long . Left some freshly disabled ( heads' squished ) BSFs for it / them.

Australian Barking Gecko (Underwoodisaurus milii) or something else?
(What a great species name! :lol: )
Can't say I don't envy you the reptile wildlife in that part of the world. Around here, the most exotic reptiles are garter snakes & spotted salamanders... :|

Stay safe
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:19 am

MrSpectrum wrote:
kingofnobbys wrote:Popped outside just now to try to spot the gecko I can hear churping . Could see where it is but didn't stay outside with my miners' headlamp long . Left some freshly disabled ( heads' squished ) BSFs for it / them.

Australian Barking Gecko (Underwoodisaurus milii) or something else?
(What a great species name! :lol: )
Can't say I don't envy you the reptile wildlife in that part of the world. Around here, the most exotic reptiles are garter snakes & spotted salamanders... :|

Stay safe

Gehyra dubia mostly ( very distincting churp , had these cheaky little geckos inside the house for a while now , and seen them under the eaves and near lit windows ( after moths and spiders etc drawn to the light ). Even had a juvenile that was discovered hiding in a roach bait for a while who became quite tame in the few months I kept him.
The contact with the roach bait didn't seen to effect him, and I'm guessing he'd been feasting on little roaches who were visiting it.
We now check the expired roach baits before binning them ( incase there might be a little gecko or skink hanging out inside it ).

There are some Saltuarius swaini (?, never got close enough to get a good closeup to confirm species ) and Oedura robusta about too, but I've not seen them very often.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Temperature peaked at 44 degC about 2pm at my place.
Smoke / dust is back today dropped visibility to under 3km before the rain and thunder storms arrived.

Storms arrived this afternoon , dropped temperature 15 degC in a few minutes .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Off Topic