Praying Mantises??

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Praying Mantises??

Postby MiniPancake » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:54 pm

This is TOTALLY unrelated to bearded dragons, but my little sister and I are receiving 2 baby praying mantises in the mail tomorrow! We are thinking about naming them Itchy and Scratchy, or Doodle and Scribble, Spaghetti and Meatball, somewhere along those lines.
We got Giant Asian Mantis Nymphs, and they'll get HUGE so we are looking at cages that are at least 10 inches wide and 15 inches tall, stopping by the local pet store tomorrow- any suggestions?

I know the general care of em but if theres anyone out there who has some pointers? :)
MiniPancake
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Praying Mantises??

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm

They are cool bugs! I enjoy watching them during the summer. I don't have any care info to offer unfortunately, but would love to see photos when you get them =).
CooperDragon

Postby MiniPancake » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:07 pm

im on my windows 7 laptop haha.... it does have a camera, is there a way I can put a picture on here using the dated technology :study:
MiniPancake
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:55 am

Maybe a screen shot printed out to mspaint then saved as a jpg and uploaded to the site.
CooperDragon

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:45 am

LOVE them, but also have never kept, so can't advise on care, but I vote Itchy and Scratchy for names! :-D
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby HippieLizards » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:14 pm

I'm not that big a fan of keeping a bug as a pet usually, but praying mantises are awesome! I don't know much about them though. But they are always cool to look at. :)

Also for a cage maybe a 12x12x18 Exoterra tank might be good for them? If they can be kept together.

And I like Itchy and Scratchy or meatball and spaghetti. Mario and Luigi, Batman and Robin, Shawn and Gus, Coffee and more Coffee (or tea), Rhett and Link, Or Tom and Jerry might also be cool duo names for them!!
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, and a community fish tank. . (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:11 pm

Clint's Reptiles recently posted a video on praying mantises.
Praying Mantis, The Best Pet Insect?
Why? I have no idea. He sure hasn't covered the entire world of reptiles yet....
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:44 pm

Oh I love Clint! he's really informative and fun. I Think snake discovery also did a video on praying mantises: Snake Discovery: How to care for praying mantises!
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, and a community fish tank. . (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:51 pm

Something tells me keeping PMs and BDs could end badly... (munch-munch-munch-munch-munch) :roll:

Anybody know how long mantises... mantes... mantids... mantis'... manti... live? :dontknow:
ImageImageImage
MrSpectrum
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Off Topic