Drinking water

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Drinking water

Postby Reptphibian » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 pm

My bearded dragon doesn't drink much water. I give him vegetables every day and I have water on them and he eats them, I also give him a bath 3 times a week for about 8 minutes before he tries to jump out of his bathing area. I tried putting water on his live crickets so that he can get more water in him, but he doesn't want to drink water on its own. I need help with ways I can make him drink more water so that I know he's not dehydrated. Also what are some signs that he is dehydrated?
Reptphibian
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Drinking water

Postby claudiusx » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:46 pm

If he eats his veggies and his insects hes probably fine! :)
A lot of dragons dont drink water.

Signs of him being dehydrated would be in his urates. If it's hard and chalky, he could do with a bit more hydration.
Also, it should be pure white. If its yellow or brown or off colored it could be a sign that he needs more hydration, or that hes getting too much supplement powders in his diet.

-Brandon
claudiusx

Re: Drinking water

Postby MrSpectrum » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:59 pm

+1. They are a desert denizen! :)

If it turns out your beardie does need more water (symptoms described above) it's probably not a good idea to mist, spray, or provide water in any way that would raise the enclosure humidity--that could lead to respiratory infection.

I would also think that if he does need some water, he may be sneaking a drink (that you might not notice/see) while he's in those baths. :wink:
MrSpectrum
Juvie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Off Topic