Big Earthquake in Cali Today

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Big Earthquake in Cali Today

Postby claudiusx » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:08 am

Hope everyone is safe and damages are minimal.
Looks like a 6.6 deep down a few miles outside of ridgecrest. Was one of the longest lasting earthquakes in years with quite a few aftershocks.

I live quite a bit away from the epicenter but we were still able to feel it very strongly here at the coast. LA and LV apparently felt it extremely strong too. We had a family friend on the 58th floor of a building in LV and he said he felt like the building was about to come down!

A friend of my sister lives in ridgecrest and she reported lots of damaged buildings and broken glass.
Luckily it was not on the San Andreas.

Hope all of you guys were able to stay safe and didn't suffer any losses.

-Brandon
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Big Earthquake in Cali Today

Postby claudiusx » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:54 am

Lots of fires and destroyed buildings being reported in Ridgecrest.

-Brandon
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko

Postby claudiusx » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:00 pm

7.1 today from the same location. Much closer to the surface, much stronger feel to it. Hoping this is the last one like that.

-Brandon
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko

Postby JumpinJellyfish » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:17 am

That's terrifying!! I'm way over on the other coast (hurricanes are the usual scary events here), but thinking of all the Cali folk dealing with the quakes. Stay safe!
Never knew I could get so happy about poop, or so comfortable with bugs. :-D
JumpinJellyfish
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:29 pm

It's something you never really think of over here, until it happens. Luckily we were fr enough way from the epicenter that we didn't have any damage, just a short little amusement ride type of feeling.

The best part of this all was making us realize we have been in this house for a year now and haven't gone over any disaster planning. So it was a good wake up call for us, and hopefully lots of others.

-Brandon
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko

Postby beardie » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Chiming in (a little late)... :)

I will take earth quakes in California over any other major natural disaster. I know people from the east coast (family and friends) who say they will never move to Calfornia because of the earth quakes. The thing is... big ones (or even ones you can slightly feel) don't happen very often. And then they do, the radius of serious damage is modest (compared to the size of the state). As Brandon said, you don't think about them much until they happen.

My way of addressing the fear people have with it, but who don't have as much experience with them (I grew up in Southern California, since my family moved here in '81) is this... Ask yourself, "How many people die EACH YEAR in the US from: Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods, Snow Storms. Then look into how many people die from an earthquake... then look into how often a deadly earthquake occurs in the US. Best I can tell, they're the safest of all the natural disasters in the US. :)

Anyway... looks like it is mostly settled... and Lowes/Home Depot have stopped putting the emergency kits at the front door. Life goes on.
Not a vet, just a concerned former keeper
beardie
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby claudiusx » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:52 pm

beardie wrote: Ask yourself, "How many people die EACH YEAR in the US from: Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods, Snow Storms. Then look into how many people die from an earthquake... then look into how often a deadly earthquake occurs in the US. Best I can tell, they're the safest of all the natural disasters in the US. :)

Very true! However they can be the most anxiety inducing for some. The other natural disasters have the benefit of a warning ahead of time!

I've grown up here my whole life too, and honestly these were the first ones I felt in my entire life. It was kind of a thing I had going, I was kind of mad that i had never actually felt an earthquake lol! People thought I was crazy when I told them I wanted to feel one haha.

Oddly enough, it happened when I was recovering from pneumonia. I was sitting in my chair and started feeling dizzy. Thought ohh crap im getting sick again. Then I realized that I was actually rocking back and fourth, and an earthquake was happening! :laughing6: I was actually excited after that lol!

-Brandon
claudiusx
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Off Topic