Claud The Backyard Farmer (self proclaimed)

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Re: Claud The Backyard Farmer (self proclaimed)

Postby CooperDragon » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:52 am

My garden is still having technical difficulties despite much warmer temps. Please stand by.

[Click image to enlarge]
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:17 am

Oh boy that is unfortunate Liam LOL!

I usually love the cold (cold here is 60's...) but this year all i've wanted is some sun and warmth for my garden. My peppers that I planted aren't liking these 60 degree temps. I've kept a few of them in my greenhouse and those ones are doing really well.

I have a lot of stuff to do today, but I stopped by home depot and they actually had a bunch of decent looking onion sets. 5.99 per bundle of them and it looks like each bundle has about 50 bulbs. I picked up a red, white, and yellow bundle (150 onions~ total) and had to look up each variety as I was unfamiliar with them and I didn't trust home depot to know which type of onion to sell in our location. We need short day varieties and much to my surprise, they all were. 15 bucks for 150~ onions is fine by me.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:40 am

That's a good haul. How much space do onions take up in the garden? I've been going through a ton of them all winter cooking soups and stir frys. My garden focuses on herbs and stuff Darwin can eat, but if I have room it would be nice to have some onions on hand.
CooperDragon

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:45 am

I've read that 4 inches apart for each onion is about right. But I think these onions I got don't get as large (bummer) so I might try 3 inches apart depending on how much space I have for them.

I'm making an excel sheet right now that I am going to use to plan where to plant what in my beds, and to make sure they fit.

I have a lot more plants and wants than I have space... lol.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:23 pm

Well, I didn't have as much space to plant onions as I thought. Still got about 20-25 of each variety in. Although maybe a bit close. I went a bit more space on the yellows as those are my favorite, and I'd like them to get big.

My problem is I'm doing way too many dang tomato varieties. I couldn't help myself, I just want to try a bunch and see which ones I like best. Next year should be better. Maybe only 2 or 3 varieties.

I made up an excel sheet to help plan out my beds and what I am going to plant where. Each square is a 6x6 inches. So it's semi-to-scale.

[Click image to enlarge]

Might be hard to see since all I did was take a picture of it, but you should get the idea. I will be planting potatoes in big pots/containers that will stay on the patio. And I have 1 more tomato variety that will be in a pot too. Both not shown in that picture.

Have some progress pictures to show I suppose.
First picture is a week or two ago? Second is today.
[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]

Here are the onions. They are all in about a 2 and a half by 3 and a half foot area.
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

Next to them a determinate Roma variety, and there will be another roma variety in that empty spot.
[Click image to enlarge]

And the peppers. 2 of the weak plants ended up dying. That's ok, I have 2 pepper plants already ready to go in the green house, just waiting till the weather warms up a bit. Plus, I have some seedlings started... kinda late but they are here and I'll try to keep them going, even if I have to keep them in pots or the greenhouse.

[Click image to enlarge]

Here are the peas. About half have sprouted. Trying out this type of support instead of the cruddy rope one I used last season.

And some pictures of the greenhouse
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:51 am

Claud ,since you have little kiddies , I came across these strange flowers that I thought your kids might get a kick out off seeing ( and growing )
They are called Monkey Face Flowers , and I reckon they look like little monkey Santa Clauss-s .

Called White Dove Flowers .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:05 am

Claudiusx wrote:Yeah, that's the only positive thing about that, I know what a potato plant should look like now haha.
Funny thing is it did better thrown out as scrap in my bed then it did when I actually tried to grow it. Maybe I had the wrong timing, or wrong soil mix?

Anyways, spring is around the corner so I have been getting excited. Bought a bunch of seeds, and been buying plants here and there because I get impatient and just want to have plants instead of wait for seeds to sprout lol!

Although I am really trying to sprout quite a bit of stuff. We picked up this really cheap walk in greenhouse from amazon for like 60 bucks, and I am very happy with it! It was so cheap and it actually fits quite a bit of seedlings, and it's staying quite a bit warmer than outside air. Probably a good hot and humid 75-80 in there with outside temps being around 50.
[Click image to enlarge]

That's the cheap ol thing but I love it!

-Brandon

How do you stop it from being blown over in storms ?

Tent pegs into the ground or did you ranset it's bottom rails into the some concrete footings or into some heavy pavers ?

I've been looking at getting one of these for germination of herbs and vegs
Product Dimensions : 68.5 x 48.5 x 158 cm; 5 Kilograms
Manufacturer : LUVODI
I think it would be prone to being moved about on the concrete slab or lawn unless secured using heavy duty tent pegs or weighed down with a couple large concrete pavers or fixed in place with some Ybar stakes driven into the ground first , we get cyclonic (hurricane) force gales here in summer and in winter most years.

ATM I don't need a "greenhouse" , but the planter trays are starting to take up too much space on my front patio , so I've invested in 2 of these
Brand: Levede
Material: Steel
Dimensions: 90x31x106cm (LxWxH)
Height of each shelf: 32cm
Weight Capacity of each shelf: 10kg

Pretty easy to convert to microgreen houses if I decide I need to, unlikely as we never get frosts here and it never gets under 6 degC overnight in winter.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Claudiusx » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:39 am

I live in probably the most windy area in all of freaking California thanks to some foothills just behind me i'd imagine.

Mine came with tent type spikes to pound into the ground. They have worked quite well at holding it down. And we had a very nasty wind storm the other week. I also have almost all of the shelves filled with stuff, so that added some weight to hold it down too. It also came with some rope tie downs but I didn't use them. Just the pegs holding the structure at the bottom and the weight on the shelves has been sufficient.

I've used the one you've linked to in the past. It worked quite well. The one I bought was only like 10 dollars more so I opted for it, plus I had the space for it. If you have the space, I'd opt for one like I got. Trust me, you'll find stuff to put in it lol.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:31 pm

Lots of stuff growing! Gotta update this once I take some pictures.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby Claudiusx » Sat May 01, 2021 12:16 pm

Gah, life has been busy. Garden is booming. Lots of tomatoes are starting to grow on each plant. Even my yellow squash has 2 squash on it that I think got fertilized.

Hanging strawberry basket had a big harvest yesterday, picked over a dozen strawberries from it. They were great.

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby AHBD » Sun May 02, 2021 7:44 pm

Good for you ! I bet they were sweet + tasty ! Nothing better than strawberries that TASTE like strawberries. The ones from the store are so often tasteless or sour.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Off Topic