GREAT !! my Alienware's boot drive ( SSD ) has died .

Post topics and discussions that have nothing to do with bearded dragons or reptiles here!!!

Re: GREAT !! my Alienware's boot drive ( SSD ) has died .

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:56 am

Taking the big battery out is a major job , it's built in and a full disassembly to even unplug it , I watched the Dell tech replace my original battery and it's involved even get access to it.

No beeps .

Been watching YouTubes on how to access MB , I could probably do it, but I'd rather let a tech who does this often and has all the tools needed and knows the tricks . I'd rather not run that risk ( of buggering up delicate internal bits .

Dell Tech told me they'll EXPEDITE the parts , just waiting on authorization to waive labor to do the job , suits me to have a Dell tech come here do this than the same guy who likely did something to cause this.

Going to be a pain in the butt waiting for the formal quote , then for the part/s to arrive .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am

Ah, the internal batteries can be a bit trickier. I agree it's best not to mess with it in that case. The screws are so tiny and easy to lose. Whenever I take apart a laptop or phone I use a magnetic mat with numbered trays to store the small screws. Take them out in order, stick them in the magnetic tray to stay put, put everything back in reverse order. It's good that Dell is going to stand by it and send parts. Hopefully a Dell technician will be able to sort it for you without much hassle.
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:57 am

Well , bad news regards waiving the techguy fee , Dell decided since the keyboard was replaced by a non-Dell local tech they are calling the damage "user caused" and so I have to pay their tech who will come to my home to do the job.\
Dell Out of Warantee Tech Supp case manager tells me the tech will come with the following
> a new DC card and cable ( comes with the motherboard )
> a new MB ( at least as good as my old i7 chip & same graphics ( internal + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 )
> another new keyboard ( free ) incase it was buggered up by the techguy somehow.

This the service manual I downloaded from DELL
https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienwa ... _en-us.pdf

They believe the issue was caused by the local techguy , good luck my recovering any costs from him ( even though I paid using PayPal , I could escalate to a dispute and demand a full refund for work replacing the keyboard , but this wont cover the new cost to replace the motherboard , not a big enough issue to warrant the agro if I dispute this and chase civil costs ) , and there are aren't that many computer tech in my area , I don't want to end up "black listed" ==> not worth casing the cost of new Motherboard ( $259 ) and the Dell Tech guy fee ($156).

$415 ( billable parts and Dell inhome tech service call) to repair the laptop is NOT worth the drama and likely addon legal costs and the nastiness if I chose to recover the costs to repair the machine from the local techguy IMO .
I am not impressed but I'll just have to ware the costs and put it down to experience. I should have asked dell tech to do the keyboard replacement work ( would have been about the same labor cost ).
I have forwarded Dell's Out of Warantee Tech email from the case manager to him …. this might illicit a response like a refund from him (maybe) - since the laptop went away with a single broken key but otherwise fully functional and fault free ( per full stress test report the day before he took it away ) , and came back with a dying motherboard and failed to turn back on 24 hours after returned..
Not holding my breath on this.

So I called Dell Out Of Warantee Supp case manager to get a formal quote immediately, then told then I want this expedited , immediately paid over the phone ( on the spot ).

So likely to be fixed in about a week.

So I started off
>> dead Dell 128GB SSD boot drive
>> upgraded to a 1TB SSD boot drive
>> upgraded 1TB orig data HDD to a 2TB HDD ( both 7200 rpm SATAs )
>> broke B key mechanism trying to remove sticky muck under it that was gumming it up - B key was not working on return ( tech guy cleaning solution ?? )
>> replaced keyboards
>> dead next day , wont bootup -- no power ( issue with MB )
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:19 am

Dell warehouse has "released" the new motherboard.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:54 pm

Told it's in transit from the Intl Hub to Dell Aus.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:55 pm

DELL's tech guy is booked to come here to replace mainboard and keyboard (again) tomorrow.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Dell tech was here for 3 hours.

Main board + keyboard + dc board replaced .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:42 am

How's it working now? Did the tech mention what went wrong with it?
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:14 pm

CooperDragon wrote:How's it working now? Did the tech mention what went wrong with it?

No , thinks it's the MB , local tecky damaged it somehow ( caused an open ct or damaged one the ICs or the processor chip ?? or maybe one the ribbon cabled was damaged when replacing the keyboard ??
Said Dell will check and repair the boards he removed and they'll be sold as parts for repairs for others.

He pulled the computer entirely apart on the kitchen table , replaced everything except the battery, screen , wireless card, SSD and HDD , cleaned it pretty thoroughly to make sure fans and h/sink working properly too.
I would have though the local teckguy would have done this while he had my machine overnight at his workshop but Dell teck said it was pretty fluffy and mucky inside.

Only issue now is as follows :"

I notice on boot up the Alienware does

“check media presence” 2x ,

finds no media presence on the 1st attempt

then boots up successfully on the 2nd attempt .

I suspect this something to do with how the BIOS is setup and not 100% sure how to resolve this , I’m very wary of mucking about with the BIOS settings without expert guidance .

Asked DELL for some help adjusting the Bios so my boot ups don’t show this , I suspect the issue is first & second HDD need to swapped in BIOS ??? ….

Currently shows

First HDD = none

Second HDD = WDC which I think is my new 1Tb SSD boot (C: drive , I think the local tech set up a partition on this when he replaced my boot drive ? but can’t remember how to see this in BIOS )

Third HDD = none

Fourth HDD = wdc wd20sp2x-2 ( 2 TB) = my data drive = D: drive )

See photo of my main BIOS screen .
I can’t remember to how move drives about in BIOS to get the computer to fix the problem ..

So I've emailed Dell to ask for guidance on this minor issue.

Been on battery since 2pm ( now 4.11pm and 36% remaining ) to check the battery and drain it so I can completely recharge it tonight ( told this is a good idea to ensure battery lasts longer ).
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:47 pm

Battery Saver just switched on 4:44pm ( 2 h 44 m on battery to get down to 20% charge ).
Could have fully drained it to under 10% but I'm not sure how safe that deep a discharge on a Li-Ion battery is and don't want to risk it.

Back on AC and charging battery now.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:36 am

If you tab over to the boot page it should have a boot order that you can change (cd, usb, hdd1, hdd2 etc etc). That is the order in which the computer looks for bootable media. If there is no physical drive present in one of the sata slots you can turn those off as well (in most Dell bios that I've worked on anyway).
CooperDragon

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:02 am

CooperDragon wrote:If you tab over to the boot page it should have a boot order that you can change (cd, usb, hdd1, hdd2 etc etc). That is the order in which the computer looks for bootable media. If there is no physical drive present in one of the sata slots you can turn those off as well (in most Dell bios that I've worked on anyway).

I remember doing something like that when my "original" SSD boot drive spat the dummy .

I'll do something about this on Tuesday , it's a long weekend here and Dell Aus Out of warrantee techs wont be available to walk me through the steps over the phone.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:37 am

Win is a pain the butt.

Woke this morning by my wife telling me her BRAND NEW Inspiron 15" i7 running Win10 Home wouldn't start windows on cold boot up.

Very strong suspicion she caused the OS to crash and become corrupted when she turned it off last night ( update record showed an update happened YESTERDAY ) , I THINK she was to impatient to wait for the laptop to complete the update install and hit the off button OR there was power spike or brown out mid update . None the less she could tell me what happened .
Or she interrupted the automated repair update install process this morning . I have told her not to interrupt the computers when doing updates and installs .

So spent the better part of the day "repairing" win10 .

Not booting win10 this morning  autorepair ( took over 1.5 hr ) got win10 booting up " properly"
BUT discovered EDGE NOT WORKING
EDGE STARTUP ICON WONT START
EDGE APPS LIST ICON WONT START
EDGE DESKTOP ICON WONT START ( MORE THAN ONE , ONLY ONE LOOKED LIKE THE REGULAR EDGE ICON , MAYBE EDGE HAS BEEN PLAYING UP FOR HER BEFORE TODAY , PREVIOUS WIN10 UPDATE ?? COULDN'T GET ANY ADMISSIONS ON THIS FROM HER.
EDGE TASKBAR ICON WONT START
tried deleting the copies of the icon on the taskbar & desktop , no good.
tried all the tricks suggested on MICROSOFT Windows trouble shooting and trouble shooting , nothing made any difference , yes the files associated with MS EDGE were there and as far I could tell none were missing.
Tried running Edge.exe file directly , still no good.

Checked all the other apps she uses and they all seemed to be functioning properly , it was just MS EDGE that refused to work.
Suspect this was "updated in the windows 10 update" ??

Tried rolling back but found something has corrupted System Restore and no restore dates other than today were visible --- bummer. I'm sure I set up system restore to create restore points on each win and office update and every week otherwise .

Need to look into this .

I do have a backup of the computer and system on portable HDD that I did once all her craft programs and the usuals were installed ,
But she's added some apps since.

So much as I really didn't want to be tied down on a beautiful warm still sunny Saturday , was hoping to go fishing today ( somewhere I can stay away from people ) this wasn't to be and I had
to get involved in long drawn out TROUBLE SHOOT to get the Edge APP working .

Dell Warantee support only available weekdays and she didn't want to wait til Tuesday . I suspect this would be what they would be doing over the phone anyway = reinstall Win10.

SUSPECT EDGE HAD BEEN CORRUPTED SOMEHOW ( in a bad shutdown or bad / incomplete update ) so told her the bad news and told her I might have to do complete reinstall of Win10 if Reset of Win 10 option = KEEP PROGRAMS AND SETTINGS failed , and I wouldn 't know if I was successful for hours and I may end up wasting most of the day all for nothing .

RANT = WIN10 IS CRAP …. WIN7 WAS MUCH MORE STABLE. I've had more issues with Win10 in the last few years than I ever had with W98 then Win7 combined. MS needs to get their act together and improve it's robustness .

TOOK OVER `1 HR TO PREP COMPUTER FOR WIN10 RESET ( REPAIR ) , SPENT LONG TIME AT SEVERAL % COMPLETES – BE PATIENT

Then
RE-INSTALLING WIN10 TAKES a LONG TIME
5.44pm – 6.36pm
as did
Reinstalled OFFICE – MY ACCT

icons present with no links to programs

DELL SUPPORTASSIST HAD TO BE REINSTALLED , AND IT DISCOVERED 20 DRIVERS THAT NEEDED TO BE UPDATED , 4 URGENT ONES. So spent a while downloading these and installing them before moving onto reinstalling her crafting apps , online comms apps , MacAfee , and making sure her accts were OK.

REINSTALLED CRICUT DESIGN SPACE
REINSTALLED INSKSCAPE 64BIT
REINSTALLED MACAFEE = L8CY67TV4KSD5Q6

RESET her TWITTER

And difficulties came from her not being able to remember her passwords , so I had reset these and jump through security hoops …. by this time I getting frustrated and cranky.

After mucking about and doing a lot of waiting and watching as automated downloads, extractions, syst checks and instals happened too me through to dinner time ( 7pm )

EDGE NOW WORKS OK.

( if she wasn't so keen on chatting on twitter and facebook I would not have bothered , and would told her to wait for me to call Dell Support on Tuesday , but you need Edge to run Twitter ( and Facebook ?? ) , or Chrome ( wouldn't touch that abortion with a barge pole ).

SET HOME PAGE FOR MS EXPLORER TO GOOGLE , she had it set MS NEWS .

FULL STRESS ( the LONG WINDED ONE - I really noticed the difference in the video tests cf my Alienware , it's much better than hers , and the full stress test run a bit quicker too , despite the Alienware i7 chip being gen6 and her i7 chip being gen10 , results of TEST = all OK.

SEVERAL WARM BOOTS = OK.

Wife is a happy camper , she's got her spiffy 15" series 10 i7 back , and kept all her downloads and craft files , BUT I am not , and had to make do with crumbed whiting filets from a packet and beer batter wedges from packet , would have liked to have fresh luderick or flathead and a day of peace and quite and warm sunshine .

CANON PRINTER AND CAMERA APPS SHOULD HAVE BEEN ON THE DESKTOP BUT NOT THERE , WILL DEAL WITH THEM WHEN SHE ASKS ME TO , FORTUNATELY I KEPT THE DOWNLOADS ON A THUMB DRIVE J-I-C.

Never got around to changing my SSD & HDD bootup order in BIOS on the Alienware today.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Off Topic