Is my beardie healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! i have a female bearded dragon named Loki, and i love them with all of my heart. I've had them for about 8 months? I've fed her 1-2 bugs (sometimes extras if guests want to see her eat) a day, and i give her 1-2 salads a day. i started out with a variety of fruits and vegetables chopped up, and put them in her bowl. (I didn't use any powders back then) which she happily ate. I also used to feed her crickets, but they kept on escaping, so i changed to cockroaches. I now have a successful cockroach breeding farm which i use to produce the bugs. Over the months i got lazier with feeding her salad, so now i just give her kale/salad mix/lettuce/etc, in a bowl. she still eats it, but if she doesn't eat it all it will dry up in her cage, so i take it out. She will joyfully chew up the cockroaches, which i shake calcium powder on. I bathe her and take her outside regularly, And i take her out to bond with me daily. I have given her a water bowl which i refill regularly, but I never see her drinking from it. I see her opening her mouth slightly sometimes, so i try pouring some water into her mouth using a small tool. She poops regularly. And has a reasonably sized tank.

But over time Her behavior has changed. she used to be easy to hold, and would calmly stay on my lap. but now she is more frantic, and will try to jump off the side of my bed, and will claw and my hands, leaving little irritating cuts. I've tried to calm her and keep her with me, but she still flails and runs. (Her beard has only inflated once.) I've decided to use a harness with a leash ( and dragon wings) to keep her next to me. if she tries to run off, i will just firmly hold the leash, preventing her from running.

She has also been very strange in the last month. She paces around her tank, and will run repeated back and forth against a wall, and butt her head against it. she also has been climbing on top of her fake plant/cave and claws at the glass, trying to get out. I will normally take her out and hold her when this happens, but I'm worried about my baby. PLEASE HELP! :cry:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a few pics of her as well as her set up ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics here

Has anything at all changed in her tank ? Lights, cage decor ?
Some females become very restless when they develop infertile eggs, so that's a slight possibility.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
apatitethedragon":20zby056 said:
Hello! i have a female bearded dragon named Loki, and i love them with all of my heart. I've had them for about 8 months? I've fed her 1-2 bugs (sometimes extras if guests want to see her eat) a day, and i give her 1-2 salads a day. i started out with a variety of fruits and vegetables chopped up, and put them in her bowl. (I didn't use any powders back then) which she happily ate. I also used to feed her crickets, but they kept on escaping, so i changed to cockroaches. I now have a successful cockroach breeding farm which i use to produce the bugs. Over the months i got lazier with feeding her salad, so now i just give her kale/salad mix/lettuce/etc, in a bowl.
Not enough live insects , she's 8 months old only just a very young juvenile and should be on two live insect meals (as many as she wants per feed) per day see my cheatsheet.
She will not be getting enough high quality insect proteins and amino acids and insect fats (needed to mobilise vitamins and minerals in her blood stream) , and not enough dietary calcium. She'll never get enough of these from vegs and greens.

she still eats it, but if she doesn't eat it all it will dry up in her cage, so i take it out. She will joyfully chew up the cockroaches, which i shake calcium powder on. I bathe her and take her outside regularly, And i take her out to bond with me daily. I have given her a water bowl which i refill regularly, but I never see her drinking from it. I see her opening her mouth slightly sometimes, so i try pouring some water into her mouth using a small tool.
<<< care she doesn't aspirate the water this way, best to do this from the side of her mouth so it's not poured straight down her throat.
She poops regularly. And has a reasonably sized tank. <<< tank size L x W x H and photos ?

But over time Her behavior has changed. she used to be easy to hold, and would calmly stay on my lap. but now she is more frantic, and will try to jump off the side of my bed, and will claw and my hands, leaving little irritating cuts. I've tried to calm her and keep her with me, but she still flails and runs. (Her beard has only inflated once.) I've decided to use a harness with a leash ( and dragon wings) to keep her next to me. if she tries to run off, i will just firmly hold the leash, preventing her from running.

She has also been very strange in the last month. She paces around her tank, and will run repeated back and forth against a wall, and butt her head against it. she also has been climbing on top of her fake plant/cave and claws at the glass, trying to get out. I will normally take her out and hold her when this happens, but I'm worried about my baby. PLEASE HELP! :cry:

Think you will benefit from working methodically through my cheatsheet : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

I think she is telling you she wants more out-time and more interaction with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom