African red toad, may need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
ok so my sister has two African red toads,
and one has a cataract in her eye, and we don't know how
to help it, so i was thinking it could be from a deficiency,
my sister dusts there crickets but they have in ordinary tank light,(which i don't think it gives uvb)
does anyone have any tips.
here is a pic
75280-7038743901.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I can try to help out. Do you know what type of setup & diet she has for her, as well as her supplementation? How old is she?

Tracie

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We're not sure how old they are, :?: the guy that gave them to my sister had just come home from Africa and found them hiding in his luggage. He works at a rhino conservation 6 months out of the year in Africa, and he thought this might happen, He thought he had been really careful to make sure that nothing would get into the bags, but somehow these two did. So they were accidentally brought into this country. They are at least one year though.

She feeds them a main diet of crickets, but sometimes she tries to give them meal worms, they don't like the meal worms very much though.

She gut feeds the crickets most of the time with ReptoLife plus. The container says:
Multi-Vitamin and
Mineral formula
PLUS color-enhancers
and AntiOxidants.

Originally she had them in a four gallon aquarium, but now she moved them into a ten gallon, because they had become more active. If it would help I can post some pics of her set up. :blob8:

The toad, Naji, Has had this eye thing for a while, We've tried dusting with calcium, and tried taking out the gut feed and the dust thinking maybe its too much calcium. But nothing seems to help it. At first we thought maybe it was a scratch, but, it never went away and the only way that she could have scratched herself was on a piece of bark that my sister put in there as a hideout for the toads.

The other toad, Nyekundu, looks to be doing ok. My sister thinks that Nyekundu is a male, and Naji is a female. We have heard croaking but have never seen them doing it. :?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is a fluke, getting in a suitcase. Geez, how odd.
Sure, you can post a picture of the set up, too.
Can you look at the supplement labels & let me know if it has synthetic vitamin A in it, as it could be too much vitamin A.
How often does she supplement?
Does she change the water often to keep it from getting dirty?
Let me know how they are doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom