froglets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
okay i have had a few tadpoles since spring time now , and only two have turned to frogs?
one died :( but i don't know way because he was eating , but number too turn about three days ago,
i can't get him to eat, know my question is will he eat a very small ant? it would make since but sounds weird
or should i order some pinheads? i think they are grey tree frogs but not sure i save them from our pool,
if they are grey tree frogs why haven't they all turned to frogs?

if anyone has some tips or can help please do share,
i don't know how many frog peeps are here but if you can help please do i don't want this guy die :(

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
First you want to identify for froglet an you share pictures of it and tadpoles? I can try to help you find out what they are and why they havnt morphed yet. When did you catch them, where do you live? You will probably be able to find a good caresheet about raising the froglets if you identify them for sure. It would have info on how to feed babies too.

This sheet is for grey tree frogs in a laboratory, they feed the froglets calcium dusted fruit flies for the first few days. Petsmart sells flightless fruit flies now - I'd try those if your froglets are very small, they might be easier to get than pinheads. You could also consider wild bugs (like the ant or other tiny things) if your area is pesticide/chemical free or if you can't get the flies/pinheads quickly.

http://www.biosci.missouri.edu/gerhardt/pdfs/tree%20frog%20husbandry.pdf

Good luck with the little ones.

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay, i got them in spring, i saw the pic of the little guy in the link you give me, he looks just like him,
i'll see if i can get the pics of him and the tadpoles,
he seems to really like the dusted flightless fruit fly's, he ate about 4 flys,
yesterday and 3or2 today so far, thank you for the link,
and sorry it toke me so long to reply :)

ToothlessTheDragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
no i don't really know what is going on with them, they have back legs but they don't show any signs
of growth, they had the back legs for about five weeks now and being that its taken since spring
to get back legs i think that they must have some kind of illness or something like that is stopping
them from growth,
what do you think,

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I don't know what they should be, but maybe look around and make sure your water temperatures are high enough? Being too cool can slow them down.

This care sheet suggests 73-76 degrees for the water temp, and that some of their tads take up to 12 weeks. http://www.frogforum.net/content/gray-tree-frog-care-breeding-120/ I can't vouch for it, so it's worth checking a few to make sure its a trustworthy number.

If you have more pictures of your little guy I'd love to see them. They are one of my favorite frogs and I've wanted to keep them for a few years :)

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
Even if you do have tadpole, hey that's cool. How many people can say they have a frog that stayed a tadpole forever and didn't die within the time it would have taken for it to change, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom