Hatchling Member
toads make wonderful pets! share pictures of your toad(s) :D

here's some of mine, his name's mocho

tumblr_n50r9k4j3Z1r49t3wo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n34dh8Q7CW1r49t3wo1_1280.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I never thought to keep a toad as a pet. He's a cute little guy. What do you like best about having Mocho as a pet?

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":n77rfd7o said:
I never thought to keep a toad as a pet. He's a cute little guy. What do you like best about having Mocho as a pet?

he's very calm and just seems to like sitting in my hand, I guess that's what makes me like him best, that he doesn't mind being handled at all (I do make sure to wash my hands all the time when I handle him)

sadly he doesn't seem to enjoy outside time too much, he's quite content just slumbering in his tank

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Thats a cute looking toad :)
I had one once, but I did not know how to care for him, and he died after a week :(
I'd love to get another frog or toad, I know a lot more now :study:

KarenInCA

Juvie Member
What kind of toad is he? He looks to be dark and light. Does he change with the seasons, or age?
We had two toads come out of nowhere into our backyard a few years ago...HUGE toads. They stayed for a summer in our backyard, then brumated over winter, and I found one of them buried in the strawberry bushels, and not the other. Then never saw the second one again. I always thought it was odd that they appeared there. I fed them mealworms at the time, and put dishes out at night, they were always gone in the mornings. But I didn't know if that was what they typically ate.
Sadly, Reptilemaster, I remember when I was much younger, we would visit San Francisco often (in the late 60s) and the hippies always had turtles that were painted with probably toxic paints on their shells, and sold them on the sidewalks. Oh the irony. I remember I got two of them, and had a plastic island for them with a fake palm tree, and I killed them both by giving them a bath in detergent. Thank goodness for naiveté...the hippies, my parents, myself as a child. Or we all would have been miserable for knowing what I know now about animal husbandry.

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
reptilemaster":15eexd7y said:
Thats a cute looking toad :)
I had one once, but I did not know how to care for him, and he died after a week :(
I'd love to get another frog or toad, I know a lot more now :study:

that's a shame, but it's alright, we all make mistakes... I tried to raise some tadpoles because our pond was dried up and they were just about going to bake in the sun but I killed them somehow, I think it was the water... :( they would have died either way but I still feel bad

I'd recommend a toad or frog, they are very cool pets!

Stolzieren

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarenInCA":bewfas2y said:
What kind of toad is he? He looks to be dark and light. Does he change with the seasons, or age?
We had two toads come out of nowhere into our backyard a few years ago...HUGE toads. They stayed for a summer in our backyard, then brumated over winter, and I found one of them buried in the strawberry bushels, and not the other. Then never saw the second one again. I always thought it was odd that they appeared there. I fed them mealworms at the time, and put dishes out at night, they were always gone in the mornings. But I didn't know if that was what they typically ate.
Sadly, Reptilemaster, I remember when I was much younger, we would visit San Francisco often (in the late 60s) and the hippies always had turtles that were painted with probably toxic paints on their shells, and sold them on the sidewalks. Oh the irony. I remember I got two of them, and had a plastic island for them with a fake palm tree, and I killed them both by giving them a bath in detergent. Thank goodness for naiveté...the hippies, my parents, myself as a child. Or we all would have been miserable for knowing what I know now about animal husbandry.

he's an american toad, he tends to change shades of color depending whether he's outside or inside in his tank. he loves to spend time dug in his little hole watching things haha

that sounds amazing! I've never seen any gigantic toads around here, it was lovely of you to feed them as well. I'm sure they enjoyed that

about the turtles... the irony indeed, you'd think they'd research that kind of thing and see it's bad to paint turtles shells most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom