African Dwarf Frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Does anyone have any experience with these little guys?

I bought a pair of them back in May and up until a couple days ago the seemed to be doing fine. One of them is now behaving a bit odd.

Two days ago this particular frog actually escaped from this tank. I have a lid on the aquarium, but apparently he squeezed through a small crack where wires connect to the filter. Anyway, to my shock I found him on the kitchen floor the following morning. He seemed actually to be in decent condition, so I just plopped him back in the tank. Ever since then, all he does is float on the top of the tank while the other one is behaving normally, hiding in his castle. The floating one always looks dead, but when I poke at him he moves. In addition to that, he won't eat his bloodworms.

Is there anything I can do to help him, or is he on his way out?

frogs_03.jpg

frogs_02.jpg

frogs_01.jpg

Jess

Extreme Poster
Aww, poor little guy. :( His little adventure probably stressed him out a lot, so he might just need some time to get better. All you can really do is make sure the water conditions are good, and maybe try offering him some bloodworms with a tweezers to get him to eat.
He doesn't appear to be injured, so hopefully he will make it!

I used to have some ADFs, but I've had better luck with my clawed frog LOL. ACF are a little hardier than the dwarf froggies are!

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. It was at least a four foot drop from the dining room table to the floor, so I'm hoping he doesn't have any internal injuries. So far not interested in food, but I will keep trying.

LittleRepieye

Hatchling Member
I had African clawed frogs for 17 years, I think these are the same but just the dwarf breed. I agree though with Jess, just make sure there water conditions are good, he might just be stressed and a little shocked from being out of water for a while. My Male did the same thing once when I was cleaning his aquarium. He hopped out of his cup and flew right into a crack between our stove and the pantry. He ended up stuck and we had to use a butter knife to wedge him up to the top. He went back in his tank and was a little shocked, but by the next day was fine. I think I was the one that had a heart attack more then him.
But I would still watch him, see if hes having any problems swimming with any of his limbs as it was a long fall.

Zoey

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
This might be a dumb question, but how exactly do you test the aquarium conditions?

The good news, is she has stopped hovering around the surface, and now spends most of her time in the castle hanging out with Oscar... just like old times. :)

Even better.. she ate one or two blood worms last night and a couple today.

LittleRepieye

Hatchling Member
YAY! I'm glad she is feeling better :)
You can get aquarium test sticks or test kits from petsmart and petco that let you test the ph,nitrate,and other ill balances in the water.
I hope she continues to feel better!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom