Pixie frog..anyone here with any exp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Just curious how to know when it's been fed enough?

Question...since these things can digest things other than bugs, does this mean it has a more robust digestive system? One that can take giant mealworms and such? I am feeding it supers now but I think giant mealworms might be a little harsher, but I can get them in larger quantities.

alphadog

Hatchling Member
Hmmmm, you did not mention if the pyxie you are talking about is a giant( p adspersus) or dwarf(p edulis)?

Try feeding night crawlers which you should be able to get at any tackle shop or fishing supply store. if its a smaller frog feed red wigglers, they will eat cut pieces of chicken breast and also fish. feed with tongs or large tweezers. just wiggle in front of its face.

Ocassional pinkie-adult mice are welcome, the size of the frog dictates the size of mice you feed. rule of thumb is no more than 1 rodent meal per month.

Feeeding superworms is fine just vary the diet. :)

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
he doesn't seem to eat a whole lot of supers, don't know if it's because they survive long enough to irritate him or if they're just big enough he only eats a few. Eats giant mealworms and crickets just fine. I just bought baby nightcrawlers tonight and will try to see if he grabs them tomarrow..got some large tweezers too thoguh the mealies and supers I can usualy touch to his lips and he'll take them out of my fingers. Well..I dunno if it's technicly a "he" but the book was vague enough it didn't actualy mention things like how to tell or what is considered the rapid growth phase where I should be adding extra vitamins. It did mention mice should be avoided or very rare due to some eye problem that might be linked. As soon as another batch of pinkies show up in my dads classic car I shal find out if he'll eat one.

As to being a dwarf or not..I'm not a clue. The vendor said pixie frog, didn't say dwarf so I am going to say probably not. It's not quite a softball in size. Are there any visual clues other than size that would tell me which? How about sex?

alphadog

Hatchling Member
Looking at the first pic it looks like a male giant pyxie frog. a frog that size needs a good size tub in with him so he can soak. you should hear him call at night now.

Increase his food intake as he is a little on the thin side. Pyxie frogs are fat frogs.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Those images were taken the day I got him, you can see a difference now. No calling yet, and I did give him a bowl that he can get down in so only the eyes and tip of the nose shows above water..I suspect that's his doing not the dish. The dish you see him in there was the crap one in the frog starter kit which will be boiled and serve either as a feed or water dish for the crested. I think the frog kit was geared to pacmans and if I understand right pacmans can't have deep water? They drown? Maybe it's just the little guys. The next step for this bad boy as he grows will be a tote DIY project, At which point I'll use one of the massive jumbo bowls (or an old stainless cooking pan) and a micro filter system. He enjoyed the nightcrawlers too, btw. Ate 4, but I was getting tired of dangling them and if I've gotta try that long I think he can't be that hungry. He wasn't overly interested in mealies tonight so only ate a few. Ofcourse he was dug in the substrate so maybe not in the mood for a meal. I'll update my pix next time I have him out of the cage.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey, should this sucker be eating bigtime every day? I just threw everything at him short of a cricket and he's not interested. Ate maybe 4 giant mealies yesterday, but had nightcrawlers the day before. Do they eat big and then go a couple days? I know he's been active at night trying to climb the walls or digging a new hole, substrate is wet enough, and fresh poo removed, but when i picked him up he's plenty round. I've never had a frog much less this one..my only experience of anything close to the species is a toad out of back yard and that died in 6 months...lol

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hmm. Still not eating. Hasn;t visited the water dish. Redid the cage because he spent all day yesterday on the platnform and was using the edge of the waterbowl as if he didn't want to touch the water so I removed all suvstrate, sterilized, added new and washed all incage items. He digs his usual hole but just sits with his eyes half cosed untill I come near or he sees me, but then he wont eat. I've dangled every kind of food including crickets ifnront of him and he wont bite even if it touches his lips. This has got to be day 5 or 6 now with no eating? Still no significant weight loss, no signs of impaction but no poop since redoing the cage now more than 24 hrs ago. If he don't eat something by friday I'm going to get worried.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
well, finally some feces..a small turd..bright green. Dunno whats up with that. I think something must be wrong ebcause the crickets have been in there for 3 days and not eaten. Any ideas?

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Still not eating but not loosing weight either. Moves around the cage but not using the water bowl. This is really odd. he "appears" fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom