What do I need to know before getting a pacman frog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
I hear these can get frackin huge. How much appetite do they have? Do they down bugs like beardies do and can they have roaches? What lights do I need? If I get a second pet or any extra pets besides my beardie they gotta be easy on the wattage, I got 200 on the beardie already.

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
I keep mine on a couple of inches of moist peat moss. No lights. He's in the tarantula/reptile room. (Room stays about 80 degrees). I think high 70s, low 80s is good, with under tank heaters being used if you need an extra heat source. They can eat crickets, red wigglers, nightcrawlers, roaches, pinkies, small feeder fish. Just make sure you only have one per enclosure- They will eat anything that can fit into their mouths.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
cool. I dunno if I am going to get one but they sure look cool. Frogs usualy don't like to be handled though, because of the slime issue. Do they make any noise?

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
I've yet to hear mine make any sounds, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make any. So I'm not really sure.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
I don't know a lot about these guys, but there was a member here who had one and lost it in a tragic accident. The substrate he was using had some short sticks/branches mixed in, and the frog ate one of the branches. It turned sideways in the frog's digestive system and the frog ended up dying. So make sure that you don't have any sticks, stones, decorations, etc. that the froggie can eat! And please post pictures - they are so cute.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I saw that particular topic. I had a toad on that stuff and he ingested it many times untill he finally learned to aim better on the bugs. He spent a couple weeks in a 5 gal bucket and would hit the bugs so hard you'd hear a loud snap on the bottom of the bucket so when I switched he ended up with mouthfulls of that soft coconut crap to the point where in 2 cases I snatched him out of the cage, pried his mouth open to try and remove as much as I could. It could have killed him months later, not sure. No evidence he injested any at time of death however. Needless to say I wont be using for anything other than fire starter material (or if I get a giant beetle). Infact I am going to ask petco what they use, whatever it is their frogs seem to love it. Lizzards too.

xcourtney3

Hatchling Member
All I have in my enclosure is moist peat moss, a water dish, and a slab of cork bark he likes to hide under when he's buried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom