A Dragon Delicacy (Tree frogs!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
I was at Petco today buying some superworms for a local school presentation I'm taking Budo to and I saw some Australian dumpy [White's] tree frogs. I love dumpys and have always wanted some!! I couldn't resist. I bought them. I now feel very guilty, not because this was an impulse buy exactly (I know all about dumpys), but because I bought them from Petco (this is my first Petco buy) and for the ridiculous price of $40.

Anyways, I brought them home and attempted to put them in the cage I bought, and those darned fast things got away! I went diving for the one that was headed for the radiator and lost the second one. When I had the first in the cage, I saw Budo going crazy in his cage. I thought it was just because I had brought home a bunch of superworms, but then I see the teeny frog in his cage, and he's heading straight toward it!!!

I suppose beardies must eat dumpys. I mean, they're both from Australia and dumpys are squishy, fat, soft things that I'm sure are filled with protein. :? Being a loyal slave, I feel bad for depriving my master, but these guys are one treat I'm not going to let him have!

All is safe now, but I'm not going to disturb them for good pictures, so these will have to do.

DSC08663.jpg

DSC08667.jpg

One is very slightly larger than the other, so I've been keeping a close eye on them. Any sign of trouble and I have another cage ready.

I absolutely adore them!! Can't wait until they get really big!

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Oh thank goodness! From the title I thought I was going to read that you had fed Budo a tree frog. :shock:

I love tree frogs too - they are so cute. Make sure to post lots of pictures of them as they grow. :D

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks! I will. In fact, I'll get them out tomorrow for some better pics. :)

I've decided on naming the larger darker one Coa-Coa (ribbit in French! :mrgreen:) and the lighter one (first picture) Kwaak (ribbit in German!).

lilblack94gt

Hatchling Member
I love frogs and have been thinking about getting some red eyed tree frogs.

I too, was almost afraid to open this thread. I also thought that Budo got a dumpy for a snack. :shock:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks!

Here are a few more pictures. :D

This one is Coa-Coa. I originally thought s/he was the darker one, but they're constantly changing colors! Now I'm just going by spots. Coa has more spots on his back.
DSC08695.jpg

DSC08698.jpg

And here's Kwaak.
DSC08681.jpg

DSC08669.jpg

MALIBUSMOM

Gray-bearded Member
We have 3 dempys and one tree frog my son brought in in sept.,he wwas this little tiny now hes grown to be bigger then my thumb nail.I did not think he would survive being from outside n we are in N.H.....he seems to love it in his 20 gall viv..the other 3 are in a 70 gallon w/ a golden geko.We also have a house geko.....who escaped and is livin up to his name House geko...hes been
on the lamb for 6 months.I leave the top off the cricket keeper n see him leaving the bathtub often ....he looks healthier then when he was in the viv. :)

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Lol! I can just imagine saying "Well, I've got a house gecko... let's see, he's got to be somewhere around here..." :lol:

herpfreak

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
They're doing pretty well. I ran out of the original crickets I bought, and now they're downing roaches with gusto, which is a big relief. :D They are the funniest feeders! When they see I have food for them they start attacking my hand. :lol: I've never been as interested in amphibians as I am in reptiles, but these little guys are the greatest!

Here's a picture of them I took through PSE.

DSC08729_edited-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom