what frog is this

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklagio777

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

anybody?

Krypton

It's hard to tell from the pic, but the shape of the nose (kind of pointy) and the body seems to look like one of my frogs. When I bought mine in the pet store, they called it an 'Asian Glider Frog' (also known as just an Asian Tree Frog, possibly other names). It's not actually a frog that glides like those ones you may have seen with the little 'parachute-like' webbed toes. Mine is usually a light tan to medium brown color, but can very quickly change colors from an almost white tan to a fairly bright yellow to a dark brown. Sometimes they have dark stripes by their eyes, along the nose, or markings on their back - these can appear/disappear as the frog changes colors and tries to blend in (getting darker as their surroundings get darker, lighter as the surroundings brighten). So if you do a google image search and find pics that don't quite look the same as yours in terms of color or markings, check for the overall shape of the frog itself. They are about 2-4 inches long - which, judging from the pic, looks about right for your frog. Try searching their scientific name in a google image search and see if any of the pictures that come up look like your little guy (or gal). Their scientific name is Polypedates leucomystax. I discovered I had better luck typing in the scientific name (I found it in one of my books) than typing in 'Asian tree frog' - it came up with a bunch of non-related stuff.

Hope that helps - good luck identifying your little friend! :D

Krypton

Mine eats crickets, but they can probably eat various invertebrates, such as small locust - something that crawls around and jumps. Every now and then (like once a week/every other week) I dust them with tree frog dust (similar to ReptiCal but specially made for tree frogs) by T-Rex. I've found it's getting hard to find this (at least where I shop) - but I've seen they sell it on Amazon.com. A jungle/tropical type of setup would probably do them best, with lots of plants and branches and such for them to hop around and climb on. Mine loves to explore and will get into the strangest places - like behind my 'rock' wall background I have in the cage. I made it so she can't do this anymore. Mine is housed in a standard 20 gal tank with two other frogs and she seems content in it. If you don't have a tank already, a tall one would probably work well so there's lots of climbing room. They like their temperatures to be somewhere around 77 and 86 degrees F. So room temperature (in the 70's) is just fine. If your house gets colder than that, or in the future (such as during the winter) you might consider putting a heat pad under one side of the tank - but make sure it's only on half to 1/3 of the tank, so that they have a cooler area to go to if they get too warm (unless you have a tall cage where they can climb up the walls). And don't put it under their water dish. It will also need a shallow dish of water for it to sit in and soak and a small hide for it to hide in. Make sure you have a good screen top and that it shuts securely - these little fellas like to try and escape! They can be very active and jumpy and mine's been known to jump distances of like 4-5 feet! They don't need any special lighting. If you want to have a light on the cage, you can use a standard aquarium/terrarium florescent light.

Krypton

Oh - and for substrate for all my frogs I prefer to use the Eco-earth (about half an inch to an inch) with green moss on top (about an inch). I also use fake plants - which doesn't seem to bother my frogs at all.

no no no! it dpends on where you found it! i can almost absolutely tell you that that is what we call a spring peeper. now, if you tell me where you found it and what color it is, i'll tell you if i'm right. if i am, i'll tell you how to take care of it, I've caught and tooken care of millions!!! oh, and is it sort of like a tree frog?

Krypton

Even if it is a spring peeper, the care for them and the cage set up should be about the same anyway. They eat crickets and don't need special lighting and what not. The frog that's trying to be identified is a tree frog, because it has the sticky toe-pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom