Wow fast delivery , what a difference 20mpix cf 10mpix

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My old OLYMPUS FE-20 COMPACT digital camera ( developed a couple of issues lately - mold on the lens , and I think the lens focus motor has been damaged ( in a drop ?) - sometimes the startup autofocus doesn't work and I have to restart the FE 20 a few times to get it to work ).

So while I wait for a better price on canon 90D or a new full frame XD series canon DSLR with at least 40 mpixcel count (or better than 38Mpix) is released by Canon , I figured I'd buy a nice basic Canon PowerShot ELPH 180 from Adorama (NYC) . Means in upgrade from 10Mpix on the FE -20 and Canon 40D to 20Mpix and better optical zoom than the old FE -20.

The "same" camera costs nearly $400 here in Australia and Adorama had the ELPH on their page for 109USD , add 40USD for shipping and I'm still way in front.

Ordered Friday ( NSW time ) , and it arrived today . Heck I can't get stuff from Sydney that fast .

Only negatives are :
> the charger has a 2 pin US power connector , would have preferred a 2 pin cable connected changer , no great drama as I have a 3 pin universial power adapter in my kit.
> USA warrantee so if anything goes wrong , I'll have to ship camera to CANON USA for repairs
> there is no USB cable in the kit ( taken a look and it needs a 5 pin miniB connection on the camera end ) my wife's Canon PowerShot SX730HS has a miniB USB connector but it's not the 5 pin version, $7 to buy one locally , in the mean time I have USB2 multicard reader to get me out of trouble
> no reticulated screen (like on the SX730HS)
> relatively low resolution screen ( but better than the old 40D and the FE - 20 ).

So the old Olympus FE 20 will go into retirement. Running the PowerShot ELPH 180 is a breeze , very simple .

Here's how good the camera is :
13-JAN2020-FLUFFY-USING-ELPH-180.png

Fluffy the Eastern Water Skink having some daddy quality time this evening after some wormy treats.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You kids and your fancy digital autofocus "cameras". :roll: :lol:

That is insanely quick shipping. Must have hit a scheduled freight flight at just the right time. I order most of my film supplies from B&H in New York and they are pretty quick about shipment too (although I'm much closer, it's still pretty rural as far as US destinations go).

I'm glad to see Fluffy was cooperative as a model for the new camera =)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":n8nbcse7 said:
You kids and your fancy digital autofocus "cameras". :roll: :lol:

That is insanely quick shipping. Must have hit a scheduled freight flight at just the right time. I order most of my film supplies from B&H in New York and they are pretty quick about shipment too (although I'm much closer, it's still pretty rural as far as US destinations go).

I'm glad to see Fluffy was cooperative as a model for the new camera =)

I was surprised to get it inside a few days.

Fluffy is quite the ham when I am taking pictures of her when she's crawling all over me or snuggling.

I've bought a heap high quality eyepieces ( Nagler 2" eyepieces ) and other Tele Vue stuff for my 10" Richfield (HOME MADE) 10" Newtonian from Adorama , as well as a 2x and 4x 2" Tele Vue Powermate at about the same time . They've done well out me. Saved over $2000 on these eyepieces cf local prices the local Tele Vue resellers.
I've bought from B&H as well, an Orion Autoguider and an Orion Colour Astrocamera about the same time.

Checked my old 40D last night as I was getting ready to send it off to be converted to full spectrum ( removal of the IR blocking filter that sits ontop the chip ) , and despite making sure all my 3 batteries are fully charged, it refused to turn on , it's been in storage in it's well padded camera shoulder bag in a plastic tub since Xmas 2018 .
Been using my wife's PowerShot 730 the last couple of years rather than the bulky 40D & tripod and zoom lens at Xmas , NY and birthdays.
I always remove the batteries from my gear when it's in storage ( prevents leaky batteries from destroying expensive gear ) .
I suspect the CR2016 3v clock battery ( which I left in , forgot was there actually ) has discharged , so I'm hoping a new CR2016 3v battery will fix the issue . If not I'll likely send it off to Canon Aus for their techs to sort out and I'll simply order the new 90D or the best 7D ( 8D or 9D if it's released and has better than 40 mpix with a full size chip ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom