Dracarys growing fast!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just sharing some pics showing how ridiculously fast she’s growing! She was the smallest of her clutch, even had a sibling try to eat her (hence the toe and tail nips) but she seems to be growing very quickly now! Does anyone think she seems like maybe part leatherback? She’s pretty smooth. Her nails are clear with a little black deep inside, but, I’m not sure if they will get more black as she grows? Doesn’t matter to me, I’m just curious, we got her for $30 on sale at Petco and I believe we saved her life! :) and she is beautiful!

97326-3208913980.jpg
Here's Dracarys in my son's hand the day we got her, February 5th, and February 26th, exactly 3 weeks later.

97326-5073939487.jpg

97326-8508861861.jpg

97326-3099429929.jpg
With my youngest son.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Aww, she’s adorable. She’s got a very pretty pattern and although I don’t think I’ve seen leatherbacks at Petco, leatherbacks are becoming more mainstream so it’s not impossible. But these lizards tend to be more expensive not just because of their smooth texture, but because the reduced tubercles (scales) make colors show through much better than with a typical dragon’s scales. If the dragon’s nails are 100% clear then you’ve got a hypo (or Hypomelanistic) beardie. Both hypos and leatherbacks have traits that make colors appear more vivid, so when you see a breeder that specializes in extremely yellow, orange, or red beardies, leatherbacks and hypos are always the foundation for these fancy morphs. While I think it’s unlikely a $30 hypo leatherback snuck into Petco, it’s not impossible. In those photos she definitely appears to be very smooth to the touch. If the skin has a very smooth feel (vs. a rougher, bumpy texture) and there’s very little space between scales (it’s harder to tell when they’re babies) then you may indeed have a leatherback.
Regardless, she’s very cute and her face has a lot of personality. I’ve owned leatherbacks, hypos, sandfires, and normal dragons and they all had endearing personalities. That’s wonderful that you were able to give that stressed out little beardie a peaceful bully-free home. I’m a sucker for the runts too. Although ironically, once they’ve been removed from their bully clutchmates sometimes my little runt babies wound up being my biggest dragons. ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom