week 11: 24cm, 33g
week 10: 22.5cm, 30g
Week 9: 21cm, 26g.
Week 8 stats: 19cm, 19g.
SHE finally got a name: Pekoe.
Week 7 stats: 18cm, 14g.
---------------------------------------
Stats: around 7", 12g
Beardie is currently unnamed and unsexed. (unofficially we call him Bernie or Norbert.)
He came from petsmart with the estimated age of 2-3 months old. We got crickets at a different store and based on his size they thought more like 6 weeks old. That seems to add up with what I am seeing online. Any insights? I am thinking I'm going to declare his birthday to be Sept 17 so I have a day to celebrate.

We are having a great first weekend. I was expecting our little beardie to be shy and timid while settling into his home. Before even coming out of his traveling cup, he was taking some mustard greens from my hands.
IMG_5062.jpg

He then ate 3 tiny crickets, part of a grasshopper and 2 mealworms (which I have been informed about and not feeding again.) He even ran after a bug that landed on the outside of the tank.
FullSizeRender-2.jpg

My tiny human had me up a lot in the night so I peeked in on beardie and he was sleeping in his basking spot. He explored and found his cave the day before, so I don't know why he stayed out. Does that mean he was comfortable in his tank? Or is something wrong about the cave?

Today he has seemed to slow down on eating, but there was LOTS of commotion going on (kiddie birthday party). He did have 6 crickets and some mustard greens again. He ate the crickets with gusto too. We put them in and he leaped off his log and attacked one.
IMG_6981.jpg

IMG_6984.jpg

When i weighed him, I took him out by carrying him in his travel bowl, but he seemed quite content to crawl up my arm instead. My boys got to pet him and everyone loved it!

Zanna

Hatchling Member
What an amazing little fellow ;). And gorgeous too ;). He's off to a cracking start, we got ours from petsmart and it took a while before he would touch greens or bugs ;) so well done!!! Don't worry about the cave. They only go in if they want to hide. I took ours put as it never got used ;/

Spunky

Original Poster
thanks! I feel blessed he has adjusted so well.

We are about to start a crazy week so I wanted to post a few more photos while I still have time. We are out of town towards the end of the week for a conference so plan for another barrage of photos when I pick him up Sunday. :)
IMG_6978.jpg

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6974.jpg

IMG_6969.jpg

Zanna

Hatchling Member
You are a great photographer! My pics don't do my baby justice AT ALL!

He's such a handsome devil! Bet you will check up on him every day lol. My tenants have volunteered to dragon sit while I'm away three days in December.... I don't think I can bear it lmao

Spunky

Original Poster
Thanks! It's all in the camera. Well, that and taking about 50 pics at a time to get a few good ones! :lol: I am forever getting what would have been a cute photo but I did not get the subject in focus.

I have no doubt I'll check on him daily! I am hoping he is still small enough to be in the 20L to travel this christmas. There would be room to travel with that. I have not figured out what to do when he is an adult yet. By that point, I think we will have to get our neighbors to come over and feed/play with him. How do you travel with your beardie?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Well, Bearnie is off to a great start in life, he also found himself a great slave to cater to his needs, lol!!!
Quite the handsome lil feller!

Spunky

Original Poster
hahaha. Slave is so right.

My not so local pet shop has dubias! (its 100 miles away but we go every 2 weeks or so) I did not get any yet because my sister rents and can't have them in her house, but I'll pick some up when I bring him home Sunday. I'll also have their enclosure put together. Their small ones are .25 and the larger ones are .35. I should have asked more questions but the person buying the roaches bought ones the size of my pinky nail. I don't know if they were the small or 'large' sized. I would love to just order a colony starter kit, but this whole 'getting a lizard thing' went from finding a free salamander and spending $5 on dirt and worms to a $20 replacement salamander to a couple hundred on supplies and by the time the year is over another couple hundred on food! lol So glad we got a colorful and personable guy for the price we did. $38 is nothing compared what I see online. (though I see the benefits of going that direction.)

He is so worth the money spend on food and a viv! Way more personable and fun than a salamander plus, his 4x2x2 viv will be wonderful center piece in the living room.

Spunky

Original Poster
We were not going to talk names yet, but we are having a hard time sticking to it. It had mostly been dragon theme names, but everywhere I look on here, the name seems to be taken. Not that we can't use the same name, but I have been apart of small community pet forums before and it is always nice to have an individual name. I ran a bunch of orange themed names past DH but he did not really seem to like any. However, he is the type that if you bring it up often enough, he might change his mind.

I'm really loving Pekoe. As in orange pekoe tea. I'm a tea fan and our pets tend to be named after food. (We have a Kiwi and Cheerio. We had a Rueben. DH had a Spud and I had a Coconut and Candi growing up) I also like Mango, and Cheeto. But Cheeto might be a bit much with a Cheerio in the house.

full

Zanna

Hatchling Member
I like pekoe lol only cause I'm terrified of ppl feeding their beardies junk food lol.

Spunky

Original Poster
hahaha. I promise you that Candi the guinea pig got lots of treats but they all consisted of veggies and I'll keep that going no matter what this little guy is name. :wink:

Spunky

Original Poster
:lol: Sorry to say, but that one seems to have phased out. Bernie too. The boys (5 & 6) are pretty intent on calling him "the bearded dragon" until we have a name. The oldest is in speech to help with a couple of issues, so I think after having fun with mispronouncing it, he is intent of saying it correctly. (even though it had nothing to do with his speech, just his hearing.)

Mr Unnamed is at my sisters. I'm rather sad.

Spunky

Original Poster
In my life it is more like who don't i serve?! I have a 7mo, 2, 5, and 6yos (and a husband) that I am getting ready for a 5 hour car ride (one way) and 3 day stay. Thankfully the 2 dogs are pretty easy to get ready for their stay at an uncle's.... and they give me cuddles to distract me. Our basement reno is 95% done and we are bringing things pack downstairs, we are 75% done with repainting our main floor, our 2 upstairs bathrooms are 80% finished of our basic updates, currently working on a 4x2x2 viv and a dog kennel cover with several other things on the docket.

We are just slightly nuts. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom