Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
Original Poster
so here is what i feel will be the final adjustment to Fred's viv... gonna stay with T8 on right side (10.0 reptisun in reflective hood, PAR 38 flood on left... gonna put a small bulb center just for light and general heat...
84843-1573247165.jpg
slate tile floors, red brick for supports and as filler... hammock on left and right, left is more for shade/hide and right gets him within 6 inches of UVB... temp on left is usually around 98 F, UTH on left side keeps the rest of that side at high 90s also... yes he has sand, never had a problem and his fav spot for sleep... 40 gal breeder, screen top, hinged at center. Diet is dubia, however he's been picky and hasn't wanted to eat lately so had to do some crickets which he ate a few of. He hates anything green (maybe he's allergic to green stuff :evil: ) so that's a work in progress, however he is pretty stable with his mass and is still active. Humidity inside tank goes from high 30s to 50 (been real humid out lately). temp/humidity are checked with probes and IR gun. I am welcome to all opinions and criticisms so please let me have it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks good. Very elaborate. It may become a pain to clean if he messes it up but that's the tradeoff for having a setup like that. UVB distance is good. What are the temps in the cool area? I'd shoot for having the basking area being 100-105 with the 90s around it that you mentioned and a cool side around 75-80 or so if you can manage it.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
Original Poster
cool side is average 79 F, he poos outside in the grass, hasn't done a mess inside about 10 months. The floor tiles are all small pieces, 2"X4" slabs so if he ever does i can just pull those out. I can definitely bump the temps up on basking, got it on a dimmer switch. thanks for the input :D

BruceLarryOzzie

Hatchling Member
I would love to take mine outside to poop! That would be so awesome. However, out grass has fertilizer on it and it would be bad for them. Fred is super cute!

ruben0311

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, originally wanted front opening doors for him but the wife wouldnt have it... was afraid he would get his leg caught in it somehow when my son would close it... so top access tank it is...

ruben0311

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Fred finally ate something today, i swear its been weeks since he last ate something that i saw... he's currently 17.5 inches and about 420 g... he ate a hornworm, first he's ever tried, so at least he got something in his belly. Still active and basking, not sure what was up with him before.

ruben0311

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Fred hunted down and devoured a wild western fence lizard yesterday... ive always been impressed with Fred's jaw strength, this time is was able to see how sharp those "teeth" are. It about sliced halfway through the prey in the first good bite, after positioning it for the killing bite. utterly savage i might add.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor fence lizard =(. Fairly natural prey for them though, I suppose. At least it sounds like a quick end for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom