Rescuing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I’m leaving to rescue a friend of mines beardie. He’s an 8 year old named Draco, and he hasn’t lived in the best home. My friends realized he’d have a much better home with me then with them, so today I’m going to get him. He has an eye problem with clear pus seeping out, that they don’t treat properly so I’ll be working on that. They also don’t feed him nearly enough and he’s basically skin in bones, However I have hope that with time he’ll be a healthy boy. Wish me luck guys! Pics soon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good luck! I'm looking forward to seeing photos of him. Please let us know if you need any help with his care.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I second everything Cooper said!

Start a thread for him once you get him so we can all follow along with his progress. The beardie rescue section needs more happy ending stories..

-Brandon

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Here’s the pics I promised. He’s looking a lot better than he used too cuz of my meddling. I helped his orginal owners get him on a proper diet, but they weren’t dedicated enough and he would go weeks without food... anyways now he’s doing fine. His set up is not what I want it to be. (40 gal cage, improper uvb, heat gradient is decent though) and I sadly can’t do anything yet so he’s stuck in a subpar layout. All he has is a wood plank, a log, and a podium. I’m eventually gonna fix that and make it more intricate and interesting. Aight I’ll quit the rant and give y’all the pics
103695-64447579.jpg
Him in his cage, just chillin
103695-7376440037.jpg
His good side, very easy to tell he’s underweight, however he’s getting fatter everyday
103695-6173692322.jpg
Front angle. You can see how the eye infection causes swelling
103695-9326586485.jpg
His infected eye half closed,
103695-1449823734.jpg
his under eyelid is very swollen, however it used to be worse
103695-3149720361.jpg
Infected eye wide open. Makes me sad seeing those beautiful eyes being so pouty and so droopy. I’m hoping eventually the swelling will go down. I’m attempting right now to home remedy it’s using apple cider, which is a natural antibiotic. However if it doesn’t work I’m taking him to the vet to get eye drop
103695-7866245703.jpg
Me and him playing pool. He’s a total shark, I do not recommend playing with him, he got 60 bucks off of me too.
103695-1449823734.jpg
Just surveying his newfound land, ready for the adventures his old bones will take him.

So that’s Draco! I love this guy so much he’s a such a sweetie and a total old man, I’m hoping to give him four years of a happy home after being rehomed four times now.

My non rescue girl jerald has done a lot of waving lol, I’ve never seen her do it and she’ll come to the front of her cage to wave at him. He’s done a bit of head bobbing to, its funny cuz they could just ignore Eachother considering they’re both half across the room and in seperate cages, but hey it’s not doing no one harm.

Ps I treat his eye twice a day in hope to keep the infection under control.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Aww bless him he is so skinny. I hate seeing dragons like that. It's my soft spot.

In regards to the eyes, I definitely would stop with the apple cider vinegar. It may be a natural antibiotic but its extremely acidic. it will burn the eyes and potentially lead to blindness.

If you are going to do anything I would use raw unpasteurized honey. That too is a natural antibiotic (a much better one than ACV) and while still not neutral on the pH scale, it's much less acidic and would get mixed with a bit of water first which will bring its pH up slightly.

I'll post a link to a thread about honey.

-Brandon

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Ah thanks Brandon! I’ll talk to my mom about buying me some eventually. They’re the worst about buying this kind of stuff but I’ll eventually get some. Thanks for the info. I was a bit worried about the acidic part even before I started treating, but it helped break some of the dried up pus down so I could wipe it off gradually to open up the eye again. I’ll be checking out where to find some of the manuka honey though definitely.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can buy it online or in some health stores. But even if you can just find some raw unpasteurized honey at your local supermarket that would work.

Anyways, looking forward to this guys recovery! :D
I can move your thread into the beardie rescue forum now if youd like, it fits better over there. :)

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great!
Cant wait to follow along and see the progress you are making with him. :D

Have you gotten a chance to weigh him? It's not necessary but it's always nice to track weight gains. Remember it's not about packing on the weight, it's about a healthy diet and a healthy dragon :)

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty good overall! I agree about using raw honey for the eye. I think with good lighting and a regular healthy diet (and some positive interaction/enrichment) he'll bounce back in no time =)

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Holy god honey is effing magic(sorry Dont know if that was appropriate for the forum) I just woke up this morning after putting some honey on his eye. His swelling is down immensely, and it might be gone within two weeks.

Genofdistinct

Original Poster
Also I’m having some trouble with hydration. He won’t do the spray bottle, he won’t drink from his dish, and he could care less about his baths. He’s definitely dehydrated. Right now I’m able to get him to eat worms from his water bowl to trick him into getting water, along with misted greens. However I need a more reliable way to give him water. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom