Bearded dragon in bad condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mircea2

Hello. First of all sory for my bad english but this is not my primary language.
My story started 1 week
105882-1236491367.jpg
ago ehen i decided to adopt a barded dragon from a petshop. She was not a baby she was rescued from some bad owners that dont had care of she.
The women from petshop told me bearded dragon has 1 and a half year but he is very small about 15 cm without tail.
I use a neon fron exotera for light and no extra heat lamp because in my country are allready 35 celsius right now. She is very shy and dont want to eat in my presence. I feed her with superworms and mealworms whith extra calcium powder and i tryed to feed her with some vitamine jelly fron the shop.
I hope i can get her in a good condition. Any advices? Shoul i get some extra heat?
105882-7500430178.jpg
105882-9784094635.jpg
105882-8546149013.jpg

Mircea2

Original Poster
Hello. First of all sory for my bad english but this is not my primary language.
My story started 1 week
105882-1236491367.jpg
ago ehen i decided to adopt a barded dragon from a petshop. She was not a baby she was rescued from some bad owners that dont had care of she.
The women from petshop told me bearded dragon has 1 and a half year but he is very small about 15 cm without tail.
I use a neon fron exotera for light and no extra heat lamp because in my country are allready 35 celsius right now. She is very shy and dont want to eat in my presence. I feed her with superworms and mealworms whith extra calcium powder and i tryed to feed her with some vitamine jelly fron the shop.
I hope i can get her in a good condition. Any advices? Shoul i get some extra heat?
105882-7500430178.jpg
105882-9784094635.jpg
105882-8546149013.jpg

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Welcome to the forum.

We may need a little more information in order to help.

What species is your bearded dragon? In North America, we have mostly Pogona Vitticeps (Central bearded dragon) but in other parts of the world, some people have other species. Care is similar, but there may be some differences, for example size, temperature, and humidity requirements.

What size is your enclosure?

You mentioned having a neon Exotera. I assume that is for UV-B? We need to know its size (length, and if it is T8 or T10) its strength (2.0, 5.0 or 10.0), and how old is it--how long since it has been changed?

We need to know your enclosure temperatures (warm side, cool side, and basking) and how are you measuring them? What is the humidity in the enclosure? What part of the world are you in? Is it an arid (dry) or humid (moist) region?

Just in case, do you have a reptile veterinarian available?

Does your dragon eat any greens/vegetables?

Others may have more or different questions. If there is anything you don't understand, just ask, and we'll try to be clearer. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
A neon bulb meaning its a colored bulb?? You need a long tube Reptisun 10.0 bulb either a T 8 or a T 5 UVB-- you also need a bright white basking bulb -- one that will keep basking temps at 105-110 degrees or 40.5 --43.3 C -- you will need a digital probe thermometer or a Infrared heat gun to get an accurate temps-- these are very important things I have just mentioned - your dragon will not survive w/ out the proper lighting-- the tank looks small you will need to upgrade that tank soon--- the substrate I would get rid of it looks like dirt--- please replace w/ paper towels for now - please quit feeding super worms and meal worms -- can you get crickets or dubia roaches -? She needs greens -- here is a website for that
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--she also needs calcium D3 5 x per week dusted on her crickets or dubias along w/ vitamins 2 x per week --- dusted on the crickets or dubias -- get all these things I have mentioned and you should see your dragon get better --
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She does look quite small. With proper care I think she has a good chance to enjoy a happy life with you. Your room temps are warm which is good. You may still want to provide a basking area with surface temps between about 38-42 and see how she reacts. If she uses it to bask, then I would keep it in place. Using a household incandescent or halogen bulb may put out enough heat to accomplish this. Try some different configurations and see what she likes best.

Which version of the Exo Terra neon are you using? The different versions require different distances to produce enough UVB. Since it is warm where you are, you can also bring her outside with you to get some natural sunlight which is excellent for them.

At her age I would also offer lots of veges. Try offering salads with dark leafy greens as well as squash/pumpkin and other veges and see what she likes best. If you offer by hand she may be more likely to eat them. The salads will give her the nutrients she needs and help hydrate her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom